Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jyhash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
My home theatre is set up to run Boxee Media Center through a 2.4GHz MacBook from '08, but I also have a PS3 hooked up to play Blu-Ray's and games. Am I shooting myself in the foot (i.e. losing Hi-Def quality) by using the MacBook as my MKV and m2ts Player instead of the PS3? I have them both hooked up the same way (kinda): Mac>Mini-DVI>HDMI and PS3>HDMI, but does the PS3 process the HD videos a better way than the MacBook?

Just curious.

~JYH

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
My home theatre is set up to run Boxee Media Center through a 2.4GHz MacBook from '08, but I also have a PS3 hooked up to play Blu-Ray's and games. Am I shooting myself in the foot (i.e. losing Hi-Def quality) by using the MacBook as my MKV and m2ts Player instead of the PS3? I have them both hooked up the same way (kinda): Mac>Mini-DVI>HDMI and PS3>HDMI, but does the PS3 process the HD videos a better way than the MacBook?

Just curious.

~JYH
PS3 period!

aixporter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
interface aside, what type of hidef will u be playing?

1080p WILL choke on macbooks... while ps3 plays m2ts 1080p files like bluray.

jyhash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
interface aside, what type of hidef will u be playing?

1080p WILL choke on macbooks... while ps3 plays m2ts 1080p files like bluray.

I only have a 720p Plasma, so the 1080p is kinda wasted if I used those. I mainly use 720p res or lower on my videos. It does kind of piss me off though that with my media center interface (even when set on 720p in the macbook display settings) there is about a 1 inch black border around the screen that just WON'T go away that kinda pisses me off (and frankly, I HATE that ActiveResX program, or whatever the hell it's called)...

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
PS3, and the PS3 interface isn't exactly bad. Simply and easy to understand. Remember that you can also create a media server on your computer (just by installing something like Vuze) and stream it to your PS3 if it's on your computer.

jyhash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
PS3 purely because of HDMI I'd say...

Um, if you read the original post, I have a MiniDVI to HDMI adapter. So it is running in Hi-Def. Your Comment is irrelevant.

bigmanathome24

bigmanathome24 said:
PS3, and the PS3 interface isn't exactly bad. Simply and easy to understand. Remember that you can also create a media server on your computer (just by installing something like Vuze) and stream it to your PS3 if it's on your computer.

Indeed I can stream with a number of paid and free program options, but I don't get the MetaData access that I have on Boxee with my MacbBook when I use the PS3. I just wish Sony didn't illegally take away the "Other OS" option, then at least I could use Plex on Ubuntu as the media center and still get the benefits of the PS3's Hardware.

All in all though, I think my MacBook it probably doing a fine job of rendering the Hi-Def videos. I just need to get rid of the overscan border and I'll be set.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
It does kind of piss me off though that with my media center interface (even when set on 720p in the macbook display settings) there is about a 1 inch black border around the screen that just WON'T go away that kinda pisses me off

what brand and model is your tv?

I have a LG LCD, and there is a "just scan" option in the aspect ratios. Also i discovered by labeling the input as pc, the tv made all the corrections, and it works fine.

jyhash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
what brand and model is your tv?

I have a LG LCD, and there is a "just scan" option in the aspect ratios. Also i discovered by labeling the input as pc, the tv made all the corrections, and it works fine.

It's a Panasonic 50" 720p plasma . It has a number of aspect settings and most times I end up putting it on Zoom setting and it fills the screen with only about 1/4th" of an inch cropped off the screen. But I would think that it should be able to fill the screen without cropping. And to be able to use the desktop, I have to shift the aspect back down to "full" which has the 1" border. The whole situation is just aggravating...

hardkoreprawn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Um, if you read the original post, I have a MiniDVI to HDMI adapter. So it is running in Hi-Def. Your Comment is irrelevant.

I'd say it is relevant, seeing as the PS3 will be running video AND audio over HDMI. But, each to their own.

jyhash

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
I'd say it is relevant, seeing as the PS3 will be running video AND audio over HDMI. But, each to their own.

No it's not. There's no point. If I run Video and Audio over HDMI, it negates the point of me using my Digital audio on my PS3 or MacBook running to my Amp, 7.1 Surround sound, and Sub. This really isn't to do with bundling audio at all as much as it is asking which graphics card and rendering engine does a better job with the HD Video Files, and as I'm putting HD video out over HDMI with both the Mac and the PS3, I'm still using HDMI for the video.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
No it's not. There's no point. If I run Video and Audio over HDMI, it negates the point of me using my Digital audio on my PS3 or MacBook running to my Amp, 7.1 Surround sound, and Sub. This really isn't to do with bundling audio at all as much as it is asking which graphics card and rendering engine does a better job with the HD Video Files, and as I'm putting HD video out over HDMI with both the Mac and the PS3, I'm still using HDMI for the video.
I guess someone from an engineering perspective can answer that. I for one dont have the patience to use any PC as a Media Center.
PS3 is basic plug and play for me.
I remember the time spent on modding my XBox.
I sure dont miss those days :p

hardkoreprawn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010

I get the same from a single HDMI cable to my AV processor from the PS3. But, as I said, each to their own.
The PS3 has (on paper at least) a better graphics subsystem, being based on the GeForce 7800, whereas I would assume your MacBook is a X3100 Intel chipset. Both will be able to decode Full HD and when properly set up will probably be hard to distinguish from one another on a display.
One advantage of the MacBook is that you can use a multitude of applications as a media player, whereas you have a single choice on the PS3.
The PS3 is going to be a more integrated neater looking solution and will have a quicker startup time and probably be quieter in use.
The PS3 also has a BluRay player (and a very good one at that), which, depending on which model you have may also play SACD's - and also plays games...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.