Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I'm getting the Belkin Grip Vue.

Is it also a good idea to get a screen protector?

Anti-Glare is nice but reduces vibrance and sharpness of the screen.

Clear screen protectors seems like a waste in getting because I heard the screen is durable enough to last without scratching.

So a case is a must in my eyes but what about a screen protector?

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I am opting to not use any screen film on the iPad. The screen is too beautiful. In my experience with a few different screen films for iPhone the results have been okay, usually resulting in a little duller colors, fuzzier, etc.

I feel like the screen is fairly scratch resistant and from my experience using the iPad outdoors, I can usually find a way to position it so I can read it.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I am opting to not use any screen film on the iPad. The screen is too beautiful. In my experience with a few different screen films for iPhone the results have been okay, usually resulting in a little duller colors, fuzzier, etc.

I feel like the screen is fairly scratch resistant and from my experience using the iPad outdoors, I can usually find a way to position it so I can read it.

Word of advice.. Get a screen protector! I have tow friends that now have scratches on their screens thanks to the lovely Apple case. They used the case in kickstand position and then shut the flap when they were done. Normal stuff right? Wrong! In their case, the fabric from the case picked up tiny gains of dirt that rubbed on the screen when they had it shut.

From what I can tell, the iPad scratches easier than the iPhone.

Be careful...

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
There is no reason that the iPad screen is less protected from scratches than the iPhone screen. The only difference is that the iPad is a bigger target for scratches because of the size. I am not satisified with the current screen protectors at the moment so I will just be extra careful for now. I am super careful of all my electronics and have confidence that as long as I keep an eye out. There is no such thing as a scratch proof screen, but it is pretty easy to avoid scratches if you know what causes them (mainly only stronger pieces of glass aka sand)

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I'm not going to use a screen protector. I tried two different types and i just don't care for it on this device. The anti-glare I tried really diminished the clarity of the screen.

murphyrulez

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
I got the Steinheil anti-fingerprint for my 64gig Wifi, and now I can't stand using my 64gig 3g. Just waiting on the mail to get here so I can put another one on the 3g... It's so much easier to touch with the protector on. Swiping feels so nice, your finger doesn't get stuck at all like I used to have happen. The glare problem is fixed, I can't use the screen as a mirror anymore while I'm watching a movie.

And the fingerprints! So much better!

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
I have been using my Apple case since April 3, I carry the iPad rather thoughtlessly and loose in a bag full of other stuff (cables, adaptors, etc....) with only the Apple case and no screen film. I have a Pristine screen. No scratches at all!

I use the iPad for about 90% of everything I do on an average day, too.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
A case is a must?? Hell no, bareback baby. Same with a screen protector. They are such a pain in the ass to get on perfectly as to not notice, so I keep this thing naked.

LocoMoco

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Iowa
I use the Apple iPad case and have applied the Zagg invisibleShield screen protector (front only). It does a nice job. I like it! :)

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
A case is a must?? Hell no, bareback baby. Same with a screen protector. They are such a pain in the ass to get on perfectly as to not notice, so I keep this thing naked.

Yes a case is a must. Drop the iPad once and you got scratchs, dents, or even have the glass break.

I also like the feel of the iPad without a case so thats why I got the Belkin Grip Vue. thin, see through, and obsorb the impact if your iPad falls because of it being made of out some type of rubbery material (thats not sticky). Also it doesn't gather dust like other cases do. Has a better grip so you can set the iPad against a wall and use the wall to prop it up without worrying if the iPad will slide on it's back.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Invisible shield is the way to go IMO. The screen is still as bright as it was without it. There is an invisible shield store right across from the apple store and I headed right over after I got my iPad to get it covered. I also have my iPhone covered from them. When I sod my last iPhone after it had been covered it's life, when I peeled it off it looked brand spanking new. Plus it adds a nice grip to the device.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I'm currently running a sgp af screen protector and a best skin full rear and side shield... I love knowing I'm protected on the back face...

And I'm currently waiting on the new otter box defender case so I can relax and take my iPad everywhere...

2Evan

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Purplish stains

Has anybody had problems with purplish stains on the InvisibleShield protector when using it with the Apple case?

Is it major, a deal breaker?

Thks

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Has anybody had problems with purplish stains on the InvisibleShield protector when using it with the Apple case?

Is it major, a deal breaker?

Thks

Hi I use my apple case with the invisible shield and yes the blue stains on the invisible shield is from the material of the apple case , it is almost impossible to remove the blue dye , if you try too hard you will notice heavy scratches on the invisible shield skin.I tried everything from hot steaming water to nail polish paint remover , no go on the stain removal

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
Any oleophobic screen protectors out there? If not, then having one is a definite downgrade.

This is my issue with the screen protector that came with my Incipio 1337 case (the fat rubber one with the overkill-protected corners, my 3 and 4 year olds use the iPad a lot). Microfiber cloth (also included with the case, although I have a few) used to clean the iPad screen fine without protector, and while there's probably slightly diminished screen clarity, it still looks great for daily use. The problem is now I need to use windex and a paper towel to clean it every couple days, because the microfiber doesn't get it done. Oleophobic is your friend. Glad you spelled it for me :)

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Yes a case is a must. Drop the iPad once and you got scratchs, dents, or even have the glass break.

I also like the feel of the iPad without a case so thats why I got the Belkin Grip Vue. thin, see through, and obsorb the impact if your iPad falls because of it being made of out some type of rubbery material (thats not sticky). Also it doesn't gather dust like other cases do. Has a better grip so you can set the iPad against a wall and use the wall to prop it up without worrying if the iPad will slide on it's back.

Then don't drop your iPad ;). Seems simple enough.

I have the apple case, I don't use it any more because s**t gets caught in the sides of the case and to clean it you need to remove the case. Seems pointless and counter productive.

Once the screen iis on, I can't see any finger prints or dust. And I'm not sure I would have the dexterity to put a screen protector on correctly without fk'ng it up.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Then don't drop your iPad ;). Seems simple enough.

I have the apple case, I don't use it any more because s**t gets caught in the sides of the case and to clean it you need to remove the case. Seems pointless and counter productive.

Once the screen iis on, I can't see any finger prints or dust. And I'm not sure I would have the dexterity to put a screen protector on correctly without fk'ng it up.

It does seem simple enough, but in the real world, you'll end up dropping it once of twice during a year.

sam223

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
Get a screen protector it's totally worth it. Only hard part is putting it on without any bubbles. But it can be done. My screen protector from eBay does not affect the display.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I opted for Zagg's full invisible shield for both of our company's iPads. There is some glare in bright sunlight it you turn it the wrong way but the protection of the invisible shield can not be beat in any other film.

I am happy with it combined with an outer case.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'm getting the Belkin Grip Vue.

Is it also a good idea to get a screen protector?

Anti-Glare is nice but reduces vibrance and sharpness of the screen.

Clear screen protectors seems like a waste in getting because I heard the screen is durable enough to last without scratching.

So a case is a must in my eyes but what about a screen protector?

You should definitely get the Power Support anti glare screen protector. I have the clear Belkin Grip Vue and the PS AG film and it is PERFECT. The AG doesn't detract from the picture and not having to see all those greasy fingerprints every time I put the thing down is really nice. I didn't get the film to protect against scratches, just to cut down on glare and fingerprints, and it works perfectly. The belkin case does not interfere with the edges of the film (like the incase slider can on the iphone), it actually covers the edge of the film perfectly. And don't listen to all these people complaining that it's impossible to get the film on without bubbles. Just be careful, clean the screen carefully and have some scotch tape handy. The film lies very flat and almost installs itself if done properly. I got mine on on the first try; had to remove a couple of dust particles by lifting the film and dabbing with a piece of tape. Threre's a little bubble at the very edge of the film (it might be grease), but the belkin covers it so it won't show or come up.

You won't be disappointed. You have to get the film from their website ($30 with shipping)

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
You should definitely get the Power Support anti glare screen protector. I have the clear Belkin Grip Vue and the PS AG film and it is PERFECT. The AG doesn't detract from the picture and not having to see all those greasy fingerprints every time I put the thing down is really nice. I didn't get the film to protect against scratches, just to cut down on glare and fingerprints, and it works perfectly. The belkin case does not interfere with the edges of the film (like the incase slider can on the iphone), it actually covers the edge of the film perfectly. And don't listen to all these people complaining that it's impossible to get the film on without bubbles. Just be careful, clean the screen carefully and have some scotch tape handy. The film lies very flat and almost installs itself if done properly. I got mine on on the first try; had to remove a couple of dust particles by lifting the film and dabbing with a piece of tape. Threre's a little bubble at the very edge of the film (it might be grease), but the belkin covers it so it won't show or come up.

You won't be disappointed. You have to get the film from their website ($30 with shipping)

I have to agree this is the best film. I am about to put in on a Ipad 3G tonight!

ryanzec

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
I actually got the ghost armor on my iPad. I figure I might as well spend 30 dollars on protecting the screen just incase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.