Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hey guys,I plan on buying a 32GB WiFi Only iPad for my sister's 8th birthday.
Is there any good educational or fun apps that I should download right now?

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Hey guys,I plan on buying a 32GB WiFi Only iPad for my sister's 8th birthday.
Is there any good educational or fun apps that I should download right now?

Better off buying her a Barbie doll or a My Little Pony set, giving an 8 year old an iPad it would be broken inside 2 weeks, a month if a kid is ultra careful, either that or it will be stolen at school

My nephew is 9 and is already on his 3rd mobile phone in 14 months, giving an 8 year old a £500 piece of kit is like setting fire to £500 worth of notes

iRance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Better off buying her a Barbie doll or a My Little Pony set, giving an 8 year old an iPad it would be broken inside 2 weeks, a month if a kid is ultra careful, either that or it will be stolen at school

My nephew is 9 and is already on his 3rd mobile phone in 14 months, giving an 8 year old a £500 piece of kit is like setting fire to £500 worth of notes

My sister had her iPod Touch for almost 7 months,no scratches and she never dropped it.

Red5403

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
KS
My 7 and 9 year old daughters LOVE the series of "More..." apps. For the iPad, they have Cupcakes XL, which is how we first discovered theses apps. They received iTunes gift cards for their recent birthdays, so we've since downloaded More Pizza, More Salad, More Toast (kind of odd from a grown-up's perspective - but they like that one too), and they just released a More Sundaes. Not necessarily the most educational set of apps, but they love them.

My daughters also like the variety of art/coloring apps.

Hangman is another one that my daughters like. One thing they'd love is the ability to plug in their own spelling words into one of these hangman apps. Maybe there is one out there already, but we haven't found it yet.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Why would a young child break an iPad? The adults are the ones you have to worry about. Most kids are very careful with things like this.

My young daughters love the color/art apps. The "More series, too much for 5 year olds?

Red5403

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
KS
My young daughters love the color/art apps. The "More series, too much for 5 year olds?

We've been doing games like with my daughters for a few years - usually dress Dora, or whatever character it is. We were using "Dress Chica" for a few years, until they outgrew it - a preschool version of the dress me genre, of which the "More... " series is basically like, just with food and not clothes.

There is also a fairy program, which I don't recall the name of, that has a ton of choices of how to dress the fairies. What I'm not fond of with that app is that the fairies look like Bratz girls, and I didn't really want my kids to get into Bratz dolls. But they've played that game a ton since there are SO many options of what to change. The only iPad specific version of any of these that we've liked (and there aren't really that many) is Cupcakes XL.

Red5403

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
KS
I just looked up the fairy app I mentioned above, and it is simply called "Suzy Dress Up".

suniil

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
I bought a 16GB Wifi for my 9 year old daughter on launch day. She had iPhone 2G for last 1.5 years and never dropped it. Main use will be as digital sheet music reader, ebooks, some games and music making apps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.