Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Does anyone have Ralph de la Vega's contact info? I've scoured Google and I only came up with a suggestion that it may be Ralph.delaVega@att.com .

I'd like to send him an email asking him to explain to all iPhone users how AT&T justifies charging $20 for tethering on capped data plans. Tethering is a device feature, not a network feature, and I think many of us would be curious to know AT&T's official take on this issue.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FWIW, Verizon and Sprint charge extra for tethering on capped plans, not sure about T-Mobile. I mean, they charge, just not sure if their data plan is capped.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm sure their position is that users who tether use a lot more bandwidth than those who don't.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Businesses want money. Customers have money. Customers want a feature. Businesses offer the feature for customer's money. Is that a clear enough explanation? :)

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
I'm sure their position is that users who tether use a lot more bandwidth than those who don't.

I'm not sure how the bandwidth (rate of data transfer) would change based on whether or not the user is tethering. I suppose certain applications or services could pull more or less data through, but the available bandwidth is limited by the network and initial connecting device. If you're allowed to saturate your available bandwidth on your phone, there shouldn't be a problem with saturating it through your phone. If this is the lame reason for a charge, I'd like to hear it from Ralph.

His email info seems to be hiding, however. Funny, since Apple, in contrast, is so transparent about their execs email contact info.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
How about you jailbreak your phone and keep the unlimited monthly iphone plan at $30 and enjoy ALL the tethering you want?

-Tethering since Jan. '09

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2007
Businesses want money. Customers have money. Customers want a feature. Businesses offer the feature for customer's money. Is that a clear enough explanation? :)

AT&T wants to charge for an end user feature that Apple provides through the iPhone's hardware/software. Technically, AT&T provides nothing extra. I would like them to address their counterpoint. I don't think that most informed users would accept "businesses want money" as a thorough explaination.

Also, no, this is not a joke. I would like to send an email inquiry to Mr. de la Vega.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not all CEO's are like steve jobs. I highly doubt you'll get an answer if you even find the correct contact info.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AT&T wants to charge for an end user feature that Apple provides through the iPhone's hardware/software. Technically, AT&T provides nothing extra. I would like them to address their counterpoint.
AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint have always charged extra for smartphone tethering, despite the fact that they're providing nothing extra.

The only thing AT&T did today was add iPhones to the list of phones that you can tether from (alongside Blackberrys, Windows Mobile, etc). AT&T did not change how they bill for tethering for the iPhone.

You're basically asking him to address what is a US wireless standard. Good luck.

Especially when for $5 USD per month you can roam on Verizon's network and the Evo comes with free wifi hotspot built in....
Doesn't look like that'll officially be around for long (the free official WiFi hotspot feature):
http://phandroid.com/2010/05/28/hot...e-sprint-unable-to-block-3rd-party-solutions/

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint have always charged extra for smartphone tethering, despite the fact that they're providing nothing extra.

The only thing AT&T did today was add iPhones to the list of phones that you can tether from (alongside Blackberrys, Windows Mobile, etc). AT&T did not change how they bill for tethering for the iPhone.

You're basically asking him to address what is a US wireless standard. Good luck.

Doesn't look like that'll officially be around for long (the free official WiFi hotspot feature):
http://phandroid.com/2010/05/28/hot...e-sprint-unable-to-block-3rd-party-solutions/

Yes but Android 2.2 brings free tethering either way...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP, you'd be better served finding the government agency that governs AT&T (this feels like an obvious response) and writing to them. Really.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It's really quite simple. They base the prices they charge for their data plans on average usage without tethering. The average user simply will not max out their 2 GB data plan, making it possible for them to charge $25/mo for the plan. Those who have tethering are far more likely to use their entire 2 GB maximum data.

To maintain their profit margins on such plans with the addition of tethering, AT&T has two choices: either they can charge everyone higher prices for their data plan and have those with lower usages (who are far less likely to tether) subsidize those with higher usages (who are far more likely to tether); or they can charge additional for tethering.

It's like insurance companies charging different rates for men and women for the same coverage. No, they are not offering more insurance coverage for the men; but the men are more likely to use it. They could charge women higher and make them subsidize more reckless male drivers, or they could rate drivers according to risk and charge those more likely to make claims more.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
AT&T wants to charge for an end user feature that Apple provides through the iPhone's hardware/software. Technically, AT&T provides nothing extra.

Utter nonsense. That's like saying that all crack pipes should come with free crack.

Apple makes the pipe. AT&T sells the crack.

I use this analogy because if you really believe what you said above, you are clearly quite familiar with crack.

AT&T provides the bandwidth and support for data. How they slice and dice the charges is their prerogative. Whether you're willing to pay for it is yours.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Does anyone have Ralph de la Vega's contact info? I've scoured Google and I only came up with a suggestion that it may be Ralph.delaVega@att.com .

I'd like to send him an email asking him to explain to all iPhone users how AT&T justifies charging $20 for tethering on capped data plans. Tethering is a device feature, not a network feature, and I think many of us would be curious to know AT&T's official take on this issue.
I'm with you on this one. Charging any amount of money for tethering on capped data plans makes absolutely zero sense. Same goes for other carriers that do the same stupid thing.

To AT&T et al.: if a customer goes over 2GB via tethering, charge him extra!!!!! Do you get it?? Charge him extra!!!!!! Bytes on iPhone and bytes on PC are no different!!!! They are still the same freakin' bytes!!!!!!!! What's your f******g problem??????!!!!!!!! Die, AT(f***g)T, die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.