Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzz02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
So, I recently got a 2010 13inch Macbook Pro, replacing my 2006 Macbook, and am loving it with the exception of one thing.

Before anyone says anything, yes I knew about the LineIn/Headphone port before I bought the computer, and although it was lame I decided to deal with it, but I'm just curious if there is anything I can do about it.

On my 2006 Macbook, I'd record with Garageband with my guitar plugged into the line in, and headphones or speakers plugged into the headphone jack because the Macbook speakers are a little too quiet. On my Macbook Pro, I have to pick one or the other.

I realize the MBP switches between "receiving" and "giving" audio through the jack, and I don't think it's quite possible for it to do both at the same time, but this morning I just happened to find a splitter under my desk, so I figured I would ask.

Does anyone know if there is a way to add a splitter and get both functions out of the jack?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You can likely find a USB audio device that will do what you want. I found one for $20 from a company named Encore. I don't have it in my possession so I do not know if it is OS X compatible.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Get an audio interface.

I got the Tascam FireOne for my macbook pro. It's awesome. Two inputs, two headphone outs, all sorts of controls, powers through the firewire port, has a guitar in, phantom power, etc. All for 99 bucks! Well worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.