Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hello,

Early '08 Mac Pro 8800 GT 512MB looking to upgrade to something current. Would either of these cards work fine in my system, and which would you consider the "bang for your buck" if you were into both gaming and video, and spent a lot of time in Windows 7...

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB DDR3 (Platform is Universal, rather than PC or Macintosh, so I'd assume this means it's cross-platform?)

http://www.macmall.com/p/Evga-Video-Cards/product~dpno~7721995~pdp.fcdejah

Apple ATI Radeon HD 4870 Kit for Mac Pro

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-Video-Cards/product~dpno~7763005~pdp.fdfbfag

Thank you for reading, and for any advice, in advance :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 896MB DDR3 (Platform is Universal, rather than PC or Macintosh, so I'd assume this means it's cross-platform?)

http://www.macmall.com/p/Evga-Video-Cards/product~dpno~7721995~pdp.fcdejah
It will work under Windows or Linux, but not OS X.

It will work in OS X, Windows, or Linux if you wish (once you install the appropriate drivers of course ;)). BIOS emulation in the MP's firmware will allow it to work under a BIOS based OS such as Windows. :)

This is definitely the hassle-free way to go. :D

But it's also expected that a 5870 will release in a Mac edition with the release of the 2010 MP's. As to when, well, there's no real news, just speculation/educated guesswork in a few other threads at this time. Hopefully sooner than later, but none of us knows for sure.

So if you can wait it out, it might be worth it.

BTW, another alternative might be the GT120 available from Apple (you'll have to figure out if it's capable of doing what you need).

10THzMac

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I had a Zotac GTX 260 happily working alongside an 8800 in an 08 Pro, with the 8800 doing the booting and an injector loading the 260 post boot. It all worked fine and even drove CUDA in multu GPU mode. The minor hassle is not being able to boot from the 260, and doing a small bit of power routing from the optical bay.

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
@nanofrog: Thank you! Will wait for WWDC then. If nothing's released, I'll just pick up the 4870 since Apple's GT 120 is for Early '09 Mac Pros.

Really hoping the recent addition of Steam on the Mac will make Apple reconsider Mac Pro (gaming) video card options...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
@nanofrog: Thank you! Will wait for WWDC then. If nothing's released, I'll just pick up the 4870 since Apple's GT 120 is for Early '09 Mac Pros.

Really hoping the recent addition of Steam on the Mac will make Apple reconsider Mac Pro (gaming) video card options...
The GT120 WILL WORK in the 2008 systems (your system has EFI64, just as the '09 models do).

Apple just doesn't advertise this, just as they don't advertise the HD4870 will work in '06 - '07 systems either (and they refuse to honor the warranty for the card if you do in this case, as has been discovered the hard way, when one failed on an EFI32 based system).

I didn't know if you were willing to leave the 8800 in, and use the injector method to get the 260 operational (I actually presumed not, and even the possibility the 8800's starting to go DOA). But it is a possibility if you wish to do so.

Delameko

macrumors member
May 1, 2008

Just to confirm what others have said, I'm using the GT120 in my 08 Mac Pro. Installed without problem and works great.

Question though, for everyone else, I'm using the GT120 to power a third monitor. Are you telling the GT120 is better than my 8800? I heard it they were basically the same. I've been using the 8800 for gaming...

.macstiled

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks for the feedback!

So just install the GT 120 +drivers and it works fine in both OSX and Windows? That's awesome :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.