Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phreakout13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2004
South Eastern MA
I'm thinking about getting a Powerbook and I wanted to read some reviews. They were all great, but I decided to read some negative reviews to see what others think. Most of those weren't very bad, but the most common reason for them to write bad reviews was because they had monitor problems. Someone even said he had to get his replaced 6 times! I'm sure this is a very rare case, but I would like to hear some info on PB monitor problems. Thanks :)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
There were reports of 'white spots' on the early Al 15" powerbooks. It was far from universal though wasn't rare. It's been a while since those machines were released and there's been one speed bump since then so I guess it's fixed now. My boss has a new 15" powerbook and the screen's perfect. No white spots or dead pixels.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
The 1.25Ghz PowerBooks seemed to have had this problem. Its fixed now-- my 1.33Ghz PowerBook has one of the bests screens I've ever seen. Except for that really really damn nice 30" screen. :D

(I've compared it to my neighbors screen, and the new screens are definatly better)

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I used a Ti powerbook 800mhz w/15 inch LCD, and it worked beatifully every day for two years. Never had the laptop off for more than 6hours at a time... for two years... no hardware failure, no dead pixels.

Apple makes the best laptop in the world. Not the fastest by any means, but still the best.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
There were problems with the first revision of the AlPB, but they worked those out, and i haven't heard anything bad about the current, third revision. Mine Rev. C 15" PB that i got a few weeks ago works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.