Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SquareTrade, a popular electronics warranty company offering coverage for a wide array of devices including the iPhone and iPad, has rolled out a revamped iPhone warranty program temporarily priced at $99 for two years of coverage, with a regular price of $124. The warranty provides coverage against drops, spills, and general hardware failures, accidental claims typically requiring a $50 deductible and standard hardware failure warranty claims requiring no deductible. Premiums and deductibles are the same for all iPhone models.

132943-squaretrade_mobileprotect_comparison.jpg

AT&T has been rumored to be introducing an iPhone-specific version of its MobileProtect insurance plan through Asurion to be priced at $13.99 per month with deductibles ranging from $99 to $199 depending on the model of iPhone involved in the claim. While considerably more expensive than SquareTrade's new plan, AT&T's plan does also cover loss or theft in addition to the out-of-warranty hardware failures covered by both plans.

SquareTrade's plan offers free overnight shipping both ways for repairs, and claims that most repairs are done on a same-day basis. If SquareTrade is unable to repair a broken iPhone, it will provide cash value to the owner for a new replacement phone. Users must enroll in the service within 90 days of the purchase of their iPhone, compared to a 30-day window for AT&T's plan. If a customer purchases a SquareTrade warranty on the same day as their iPhone, coverage begins immediately, but policies purchased on a later date within the 90-day window are subject to a 30-day waiting period for accidental damage coverage.

133248-squaretrade_iphone_menu.jpg

In anticipation of the introduction of new iPhone models on Monday, SquareTrade has already populated its drop-down menu with options for users to select an "iPhone 4G 32GB" or "iPhone 4G 64GB". Those options will presumably be quickly adjusted to reflect the actual product names and capacities once they are announced.

Article Link: SquareTrade Rolls Out New iPhone Warranty Program

me2000

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
This is the route I'll be taking... I'll be using my 50% off coupon I got.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Seems like a much better way to go for a warranty. But how is Square Trade's reputation for paying claims?

coolpal

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
wow... did their testing site go live a little sooner?
Oh well.. they succeeded in getting free advertisement... I'm sure quite a few people will learn about squaretrade for the first time from these postings.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
SquareTrade is Amazing. for $99 I purchased 3 year coverage for my iPhone 3G which covered accidental damage, spills, etc. And when I got a 3GS, I just called the 800 number and told them my 3GS serial number and bam, my 3GS was covered under the same plan. And when I get a 4G I'll call them up and have my coverage transferred to that.

I'm covered $500 because that was the price of an 16gb iPhone 3G w/o upgrade eligility (and 32gb 3gs which I have now)

I would HIGHLY recommend this service, I have my TV under warranty too.

MrSkoTA

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Another Option

WorthAveGroup.com

Looks to be a very legit service. Anyone know of them? I am contemplating this for my notebook, 3GS, and iPad. Can't seem to go wrong. Great prices and great deductibles. SquareTrade does offer two years though it looks like.

Newsinker

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Off topic a little

Is it just me, or did I miss a rumor somewhere? 32GB and 64GB listed for the new iPhone?

I've been following all the rumors, or so I thought, but this is the first time I've seen anything mentioning the memory of the new iPhone... ???

Either way, I love it, I've got no room on my 16GB 3G anymore!

**Doh! Just noticed that they'll be adjusting to reflect actual product names and capacities...

Still, is there any word on the capacities anywhere? Anyone heard anything?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
iPhone HD sounds a little sketch for an Apple product. Just my opinion. Can you imagine saying to someone, "I have the iPhone HD!". Then they reply, "Why is it called that and not 4G?". Just my POV.

4G might confuse the customers with 4G coming from verizon and sprint.

is it true there is not a 4G from ATT and next step direct to LTE?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
iPhone HD sounds a little sketch for an Apple product. Just my opinion. Can you imagine saying to someone, "I have the iPhone HD!". Then they reply, "Why is it called that and not 4G?". Just my POV.

It's not going to work on a 4G network so why would they call it iPhone 4G? That doesn't make any sense. AT&T uses a 3G network. You think they may call it a G4? For 4th Generation? They called the second generation 3G. And third generation 3GS. Why in the world would they call it 4G? Seriously, I don't get it!

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
It's not going to work on a 4G network so why would they call it iPhone 4G? That doesn't make any sense. AT&T uses a 3G network. You think they may call it a G4? For 4th Generation? They called the second generation 3G. And third generation 3GS. Why in the world would they call it 4G? Seriously, I don't get it!

Agreed, it definitely will not be called the iPhone 4G. I'm not sure what they WILL call it though...we'll see!

YesILoveTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Just wanted to say HAPPY HTC EVO DAY!!!!! Now I'm ready for iPhone 4G Day!!! Yes...I Love Technology...sucks to be a fanboy when there is so much good tech out there. That is all.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

iPods use the G1, G2, etc for generation versioning...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.