Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm having some setup problems with my newly purchased Epson Stylus Photo PX810FW (Artisan 810) which I want to connect to a cabled home network (LAN) so as to be shared among two Macs.

1) No thanks to the supplied Epson software I figured out how to connect the printer to my network (by going to the Print & Fax System preference panel and adding a new printer). It's now connected to both USB and LAN, but for some reason I'm able to choose between 3 printers: USB, EPSON TCPIP and Bonjour.
What is "Bonjour", and should I choose between that or "EPSON TCPIP" when connecting to my network?

2) I figured out how to be able to scan via LAN: by configuring it with "Epson scan settings" found inside the /Applications/Utilities/ folder, so now I can scan without USB!
However, the printer has the ability to scan documents directly from its front-panel (press the Scan button on the LCD-display, then Scan to PC or Scan to PDF). However, it only displays a "USB connection" button choice with either scanning mode, and even that doesn't work (there's no scanner response, and after a while I get an error message saying there's a communication error).

So, why won't it work even if both USB and Ethernet connectors are inserted?
And is it possible at all to use those scan options via a LAN network (so I can scan to the other computer farthest away from the printer, without having to run back and forth)?

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Just use bonjour, bonjour is a communication protocol for Macs which is equivalent to upnp.

The Scan to PC could be a limitation of the software that it can't communicate back via LAN. I'm not sure about this and would probably be best to ask someone with this printer or contact Epson. You could ask Epson if this feature works on Windows and if it does, there should be a way to get it to work on OSX.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I was hoping someone else with a 710 or 810 here could tell me of their experiences first, then call customer support as a last resort.

This is what happens if I press the Scan button on the printer, followed by pressing Scan to PC or Scan to PDF (then USB connection, which oddly is the only choice I get -I was expecting to be able to choose between USB or network):

An application on the Mac starts up called "Event manager" (found inside the "Epson software" folder within "Applications", along with "EScanAssistant" (found inside the "Event manager" package: /Contents/Resources/Assistants/Scan Assistant/) and a window pops up:
bilde1x.png

Around 30 seconds goes by without anything happening, then the printer beeps and tells me there's a "communication error" and I should check my connection etc.

When I press on the OK button in "The scanner is warming up window" (above) a new window pops up:
pic2u.png

Anyone here have different experiences when pressing the same buttons on the printer? And has anyone got a different option than "USB connection"? I'm assuming it's actually supposed to be able to scan via a LAN connection by pressing those buttons on the printer, or else why would there be a need to choose which connection type to use? Besides, the "USB connection" button clearly activates something on the Mac, so communicating both ways does indeed work, indicating that at least with USB it should be possible to control scanning directly from the printer and not just from the Mac.

On a sidenote I discovered something interesting.
If I double-click "Event manager" on its own, this window comes up:
pict3.png

Click on the "Make job settings" button which allows you to configure the different button presses (e.g. which folder to save a scanned document etc.). Press "Test button" (lower left in that same window) and scanning actually works, so at least something is working, but of course that's from the Mac and not from the buttons on the printer.
Getting back to the Event Manager's main window, there's a button at the bottom marked "Network scan settings" which brings up a new window with an "Enable network scan" option which is ticked (turned on) here.
So where else should I look in order to resolve my issues?

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, I solved it.
For some reason everything worked fine on one of the computers, so I reinstalled the Epson software on the other computer and all was OK!

A great printer. I especially love the auto document feeder which means that I can for instance scan a bunch of sheets and turn it all into a single PDF file! I haven't tried out the fax nor the CD printing functions, but all in all I have to say I'm very pleased with the printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.