Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

004607-eligibility.jpg

On the eve of the WWDC 2010 keynote and what is believed to be the announcement of the next generation iPhone, AT&T seems to have adjusted user eligibility requirements forward for many customers. This means that several readers who previously were ineligible to purchase a new subsidized iPhone now find that they are eligible. Previously, dates for eligibility ranged from June to November depending on your rate plan.

Current AT&T customers can check at http://wireless.att.com by clicking on "Check Upgrade Options" after they log in. The improved eligibility requirements will allow existing customers to upgrade to the new iPhone with no early termination fees. Apple is widely expected to introduce the new iPhone at the WWDC 2010 Keynote on Monday, June 7th. The keynote begins at 10 a.m. Pacific.

Article Link: AT&T Moves Up iPhone Upgrade Eligibility On Eve of WWDC Keynote

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
i've been eligible since march so this doesn't affect me but congrats to all the new eligible upgraders :p

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
I was surprised that my eligibility magically moved up considering I purchased a 3GS (at $400, I believe) after losing my 3G that was still under contract. :confused:

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
You know what's a bit weird. I purchased 4 iPhones on a Family Plan last year on the first day of 3GS launch. I looked at my upgrade dates and it shows only one line being eligible and they were all purchased the same date. I wonder why only one line would be eligible and not all?

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I checked tonight and my eligibility status was identical to the one in the OP. Does this mean I could upgrade to the new iPhone and only pay $18 in excess of the subsidized cost, so long as I sign on for another 2 years?

Vinnie Madrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
HowELL, NJ
"A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on 01/05/2011. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please visit a participating iPhone sales location for pricing on this offer."

damn it verizon, why did i HAVE to wait for my contract to end LoL

what do you think the "discounted iphone at a higher price" will be? i plan on selling my 32gb 3gs jailbroken and unlocked {3.1.2} on craigslist just to buy one of the new iphones.....

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Hmmm. I get:

AT&T said:
We are sorry, but we cannot determine your upgrade eligibility for a discounted handset at this time. If you have recently upgraded your phone, please follow the instructions sent with the device to use the new SIM card and accept the terms and conditions. Click here to check on the status of a pending order.

Pending upgrade? I've had the same 32G 3GS since the day they became available. Hopefully this means I'm eligible, I just haven't gotten the text yet.

owine

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
The main line of my Family plan (not mine) is eligible, but my additional line is not eligible. Both upgraded from 2G iPhone to 3GS at launch.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Does anyone think that there's any advantage to waiting until iPhone OS 4.0 is released before buying the iPhone HD (or whatever it's called) if availability of iPhone OS 4.0 is not immediate? Or is the upgrade process probably pretty seamless?

azsprty

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Been always getting new iPhone on launch day for 399/499. However, this year my early upgrade is not available until March 2011. What gives? :confused::confused::confused:

Your early upgrade or full upgrade? My full up grade is 01/30 but get the typical " however we can offer you an early iPhone upgrade". I assume to be 399/499

rcandre2

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
You know what's a bit weird. I purchased 4 iPhones on a Family Plan last year on the first day of 3GS launch. I looked at my upgrade dates and it shows only one line being eligible and they were all purchased the same date. I wonder why only one line would be eligible and not all?

Sorry for the bad news but ATT usually only allows the "master number" to be eligible first... the rest of the numbers follow the normal upgrade time line...and they base it all on how much you spend each month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.