Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I just signed up to 3 and registered my SIM, but when I go into the APN settings, it's blank. Anyone on 3 tell me what the iPad APN is?

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I just signed up to 3 and registered my SIM, but when I go into the APN settings, it's blank. Anyone on 3 tell me what the iPad APN is?

Try:
3internet or three.co.uk

Before you commit to 12 months, bear in mind that 3 do a pay as you go sim , with 12GB preloaded, valid for 12 months, hence you have 1 year to use the 12gb. All for £35 on ebay, you just need to cut down the sim.

Also check if you got the 3G symbol next to the 3 carrier name. (Turn off wifi if that shows).

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Got a Three microSIM in my iPad, and it's working fine with all those fields left blank.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
Before you commit to 12 months, bear in mind that 3 do a pay as you go sim , with 12GB preloaded, valid for 12 months, hence you have 1 year to use the 12gb. All for £35 on ebay, you just need to cut down the sim.

Wow, that's a great deal. That must be just about the best value out there for most people.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I was told by their tech support to use 3internet as the APN.

However I've now removed this and the connection still works fine.

chrisduk112

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Liverpool, UK
Hi

I bough a ipad on release on O2-UK pay as u go. but now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it. I switch of my ipad, insert micro sim and connect to itunes which auto powers it up. I assumed it may install a network update through itunes but it seems three do not have this setup with apple.

I have no APN settings, i tried using 3 internet with a reboot but still my internet does not work on 3.

Any other ideas?

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Hi

I bough a ipad on release on O2-UK pay as u go. but now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it. I switch of my ipad, insert micro sim and connect to itunes which auto powers it up. I assumed it may install a network update through itunes but it seems three do not have this setup with apple.

I have no APN settings, i tried using 3 internet with a reboot but still my internet does not work on 3.

Any other ideas?

Hmm, I don't think it's registered on the three network, do you get a '3G' symbol next to the signal strength ?

chrisduk112

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Liverpool, UK
it just shows full signal and says 3. however if i go to manual roam it shows

3 (3G)

if i lock it to use 3G only it still does not say 3G but has a tick next to 3G on the network choice screen.

I have a USB dongle on 3 which shows full 3G signal.

chrisduk112

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Liverpool, UK
see attached screen shots.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.PNG
    IMG_0007.PNG
    223.4 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0008.PNG
    IMG_0008.PNG
    222.3 KB · Views: 510

DisneySMAX

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2010
APN = three.co.uk

Username and passwor leave blank.

That works fine on mine. The 3G did not show up until I changed the APN (which was blank after changing the o2 card to a 3 one)

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
it just shows full signal and says 3. however if i go to manual roam it shows

3 (3G)

if i lock it to use 3G only it still does not say 3G but has a tick next to 3G on the network choice screen.

I have a USB dongle on 3 which shows full 3G signal.

I'd leave the network selection to automatic, just for ease, looks like something has gone wrong at their end, as you should be getting a 3G symbol next to the '3' carrier name.

To be honest, I'd recommend you getting a 3 12GB bundle sim card of ebay. 12GB to be used how you like within 12 months, £35, which is cheaper than any plan, for the same period or data.

Can always sabotage the three dongle you have. Or if you need that one, you can get a new dongle with preloaded 12GB sim for £80.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Now want to move to 3, I got their micro-sim and registered it.

When did you register it? It can take up to 24 hours to activate (Three say up to 3 hours is typical). When it does "3G" appears alongside the bars in the signal strength display.

You shouldn't have to change any settings at all. I didn't. I was activated in under half an hour.

If it's been longer than 24 hours, call Three.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
When did you register it? It can take up to 24 hours to activate (Three say up to 3 hours is typical). When it does "3G" appears alongside the bars in the signal strength display.

To be clear, I should have added "...when not connected to wifi".

johnrs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Nottingham - UK
Try:
3internet or three.co.uk

Also check if you got the 3G symbol next to the 3 carrier name. (Turn off wifi if that shows).

I got a 3GB/3Month Three sim from ebay, cut it down to size and it worked a treat. Used it all weekend in London with no problem. Did not have to enter anything for the APN and left them blank.

when on the three network I went to three.co.uk/my3 and it automatically logs me in so I can see my usage/balance.

will be getting another one while I can as they are a bargin

fafster

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
A Reset worked for me..

Hello,
I had the common "could not activate mobile data network" message but when I tried resetting the iPad3 the icon in the top right hand corner changed to 3G and I could then connect to the internet. I reset the iPad3 by pressing and holding both the "Power" and the "Home" buttons until the apple logo appeared.
Please note that I have a new iPad - I do not know if resetting the iPad makes you lose data or applications. Hope this helps.

PS I'm on 3 network, APN name is 3internet, APN username and password are blank. WiFi switched to off position.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I tried eBay.co.uk and could not find any 12GB SIM for less than £60. Can you provide a link please?

----------

I got a 3GB/3Month Three sim from ebay, cut it down to size and it worked a treat. Used it all weekend in London with no problem.
Can you tell me if "Personal Hotspot" is disabled on your prepaid Three SIM card?

I could not see this option form the screen shots above.

And according to Three's web site. They only support tethering if you have a monthly rolling contract with them. Is that correct?

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I tried eBay.co.uk and could not find any 12GB SIM for less than £60. Can you provide a link please?

----------

Can you tell me if "Personal Hotspot" is disabled on your prepaid Three SIM card?

I could not see this option form the screen shots above.

And according to Three's web site. They only support tethering if you have a monthly rolling contract with them. Is that correct?

This thread is 2 years old so its likely that they don't offer the 12GB sim any more.

Also i'm not sure that personal hotspot was available when this thread was made. From what I know on the iPhone only their "One plan" has tethering but no other ones do.
I'd hope that they let you use prepaid data how you like but I know that most carriers are a bit shady with limiting hotspot use.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
This thread is 2 years old so its likely that they don't offer the 12GB sim any more.
The poster above me dug the thread up from the grave, I didn't realize that, sorry. 12GB 12 month now is £70. In two years and 100% increase. :eek:

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
The poster above me dug the thread up from the grave, I didn't realize that, sorry. 12GB 12 month now is £70. In two years and 100% increase. :eek:

I guess they realised that people actually wanted SIMs with lots of data on. The best they do now is the £20 SIM with 3GB for 3 months. Its a pre paid SIM that you can top up as well so IMO better than taking out a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.