Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photo-video

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
Hey all ... I just got my first Mac ... after weeks of waiting my order arrived today. This is the first Apple that I've owned so are there any pointers that you all don't mind sharing.

Sorry I don't know what to ask.

I spent about at $6300 on this system and it's the most money I've ever spent on a computer. Here are the specs:

- Dual 2.5Ghz
- 1 GB RAM
- 9800XT
- Blue Tooth Keyboard & Mouse
- 23" Cinema HD Display

I have 1GB of RAM installed ... where should I buy RAM from? I need more for Video Editing with Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Motion!!

Thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
First thing: edit your post to say "Mac" instead of "MAC" before some smartass jumps on you over it....

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
photo-video said:
Hey all ... I just got my first Mac ... after weeks of waiting my order arrived today. This is the first Apple that I've owned so are there any pointers that you all don't mind sharing.

I spent about at $6300 on this system and it's the most money I've ever spent on a computer. Here are the specs:

- Dual 2.5Ghz
- 1 GB RAM
- 9800XT
- 23" Cinema HD Display

I have 1GB of RAM installed ... where should I buy RAM from? I need more for Video Editing with Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro 3 and Motion!!

Thanks!
Wow, that is a fantastic system you bought! The envy of most here, I'm sure. As far as RAM goes, common suggestions include http://www.crucial.com and http://www.kingston.com, and the best advise to be sure that the RAM is intended for your G5. Lots of cheap PC RAM looks right, but isn't. Also, note that Crucial gives you different prices based on cookie settings in your browser, so beware. You might want to play with what you already have, and I suspect that 2GB total should be more than enough for you.

I'd also advise picking up some decent Mac OS X books. Ones I like include Mac OS X Panther Killer Tips and Mac OS X: Panther, The Missing Manual.

Enjoy! You've found the right forum for answers....

Edit: Be sure you have a good backup system (hardware-wise) as well. Do you own external drives and some means to back them up? Video files are massive, and you'd hate to have them go missing on you....

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
photo-video said:

Thanks!

I think 99% of people here will say Crucial right off the bat.

As for me, I've never had any problem with 3rd party memory... not one dead chip in 10 years.

I don't like to spend an insane amount on my computers but that's cuz I'm cheap :D

So if you want something that's probably more reliable in the end, go with Crucial.

If you want generic RAM check out OWC or even 18004memory.com. Like I said... I've never had any problem with 3rd party mem, so it's your call really.

photo-video

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks for the advice

jsw said:
Wow, that is a fantastic system you bought! The envy of most here, I'm sure. As far as RAM goes, common suggestions include http://www.crucial.com and http://www.kingston.com, and the best advise to be sure that the RAM is intended for your G5. Lots of cheap PC RAM looks right, but isn't. Also, note that Crucial gives you different prices based on cookie settings in your browser, so beware. You might want to play with what you already have, and I suspect that 2GB total should be more than enough for you.

I'd also advise picking up some decent Mac OS X books. Ones I like include Mac OS X Panther Killer Tips and Mac OS X: Panther, The Missing Manual.

Enjoy! You've found the right forum for answers....

Edit: Be sure you have a good backup system (hardware-wise) as well. Do you own external drives and some means to back them up? Video files are massive, and you'd hate to have them go missing on you....

Thanks for the feedback and comments about my system. I made the decision that if I was gonna buy a Mac ... it might as well be a top of the line system.

I look forward to no longer using those crappy Windows based system. I hope the switch to Apple is all that people describe it to be. I'll pick up "The Missing Manual" book this evening.

I see that Crucial has something called "Ballistix 184-pin DIMM" ... does anyone have any knowledge or feedback on that type of RAM?

Thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
My understanding is that it is marginally faster; however, I've also read that you need a system with only that memory, or else it'll default to the lowest common denominator. Seems pricey to me....

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
You have quite the nice set up.

For video editing, I would consider a second screen. It gets all cluttered with the palettes and screens. You can add nearly any brand to the second connection, so you do not need another Apple branded monitor for this purpose. In my experience, even with a 23 inch it gets cluttered with lots of stuff open.

RAM: I myself have never had an issue with OWC (Other World Computing), Kingston, or Crucial.I also buy generic and I have had FEW problems. That said, buy from somewhere that will allow returns, and will be in business a few weeks down the road. (all of the above have been around for years).

Learning Macs: The Missing Manual series by David Pogue is excellent. It will cover anything from iLife to specific apps to the OS and Macs in general. Take a peek at the series http://www.missingmanual.com

For video editing, I would also suggest more drive space. It gets eaten up quickly. For backup and storage purposes, any external firewire drive should do. Even FW 400 for backup will work fine, so no need to bust the cash out for FW800 drives unless you need them for scratch space, etc.

The 1 gig will get you going. You can do a lot with 1 gig in FCP or DVDSP. With both open, it gets a bit dicier. I just started using Motion, but in my projects it hogs RAM and is kinda slow (Your Machine is faster than the one I use motion on). We have 4 gigs of ram and that seems to allow a few apps with large projects to work just fine.

Other software to consider:

DiskWarrior. Its a great utility that you will be grateful you have when and if you need it.
A USB jog dial. I find it much easier than the keyboard or mouse for zipping through footage. They are cheap and work well.

You have a great system, go out there and enjoy it!

photo-video said:

- Dual 2.5Ghz
- 1 GB RAM
- 9800XT
- 23" Cinema HD Display

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.