Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phishindsn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2009
Ok after watching the promo video I noticed that is stated both caller and receiver have to be on wi-fi to use Facetime. Ok doesn't that really avoid having the ability to chat via video anywhere as advertised. Now when I am on business trip I have to hunt around for wi-fi just to use FaceTime...so what is the video chat really gaining me?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ok after watching the promo video I noticed that is stated both caller and receiver have to be on wi-fi to use Facetime. Ok doesn't that really avoid having the ability to chat via video anywhere as advertised. Now when I am on business trip I have to hunt around for wi-fi just to use FaceTime...so what is the video chat really gaining me?

It is bringing you video chat when you have WIFI.

IBradMac

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2008
Ohio
Do you really think AT&T can handle it? Seriously?

Remember, we have multitasking now. I suspect data usage will surge because of this.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
According to Steve, it is WiFi only for now. He mentioned something about needing to work things out with the carriers. Which doesn't surprise me, they will want to charge an arm and a leg for the feature, which ironically, is probably what is causing Video calling to fail in the US currently.

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Until apps on other phones/computers offer it for more devices.

Do you really think that anyone besides Apple will offer this on their phone, much less a computer? Especially since Apple holds the rights to it and they won't even let their own computer users use it?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Do you really think that anyone besides Apple will offer this on their phone, much less a computer? Especially since Apple holds the rights to it and they won't even let their own computer users use it?

Uhm...why wouldn't someone decide to write a Windows/Mac app that can Video-chat with iPhones?

They could sell that. For money. You know...what software writers like to earn?

At which part of that plan do you see a problem arising?

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Uhm...why wouldn't someone decide to write a Windows/Mac app that can Video-chat with iPhones?

Well, how does FaceTime work? Is it dependent on the cell network? Would Apple approve a video-chat app whose sole purpose is to circumvent FaceTime?

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York

apple denying the app from being approved

wlmowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007

100% correct. Apple has applied for FaceTime to accepted as an open standard.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, how does FaceTime work? Is it dependent on the cell network? Would Apple approve a video-chat app whose sole purpose is to circumvent FaceTime?

apple denying the app from being approved

How would Apple "approve" OR "deny" someone from writing a Windows application? Or a Mac application or Android app, for that matter? They don't have that power.

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
How would Apple "approve" OR "deny" someone from writing a Windows application? Or a Mac application or Android app, for that matter? They don't have that power.

That's what I'm asking. Does any of us know if FaceTime is dependent on the cell network? Anyone can write an application that uses one of the cameras, but if they're going to try to use FaceTime, Apple can approve use of the connections necessary for use.

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
No, they've been clear that it's a Wifi-only service. It has nothing to do with the cell network.

So I could pick a contact from my list and start a FaceTime chat with them and their phone would vibrate (ring, etc.) in their pocket and they'd pull it out and have a chance to either accept or decline a FaceTime-only conversation with me?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So I could pick a contact from my list and start a FaceTime chat with them and their phone would vibrate (ring, etc.) in their pocket and they'd pull it out and have a chance to either accept or decline a FaceTime-only conversation with me?

I'm not sure how it works yet, but that sounds like a reasonable guess, yes.

I'm not sure what happens if the person you call isn't on wifi. I'm assuming they'll get some kind of message telling them...maybe it just turns into a normal voice call instead? Dunno yet.

bboycrew

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
nokia n900 you can video chat via skype via google talk or via sip so u have 3 ways to video chat on a n900 guess apple is hoping people dont know about n900 which most dont so no 1 will even know they have it much less know what a n900 is as nokia is popular world wide but in usa nokia is not popular except with a small subset of geeks

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I'm not sure how it works yet, but that sounds like a reasonable guess, yes.

I'm not sure what happens if the person you call isn't on wifi. I'm assuming they'll get some kind of message telling them...maybe it just turns into a normal voice call instead? Dunno yet.

Okay, because if that's how it is, it's one of the more awesome things available. I was under the impression that you had to be on-call with them first, and then if you both met all the conditions, you'd have the option only in the call menu.

If it can be called separately, that'd pave the way for desktop iChat access... :rolleyes: <=== not rolling eyes, wistful thinking.

bboycrew

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
That's Skype. Hardly FaceTime, I think. I understand what you're saying, just the logistics of it are different.
for me anyways i kno more people with skype so i can do phone to phone or phone to computer or netbook web cam basically any device with a webcam and skype i can chat too most people i kno already have skype so it makes it easier for video chatting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.