Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangsdunks

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
If you do go into an AT&T store and use another person's account to upgrade to the 4G won't they activate the microsim to there account? Or can you ask them to use the upgrade but activate the microsim at a later time since you don't want them to be out of service or even just activate the microsim on your account.

Basically i have a 3gs so im ineligible for the $199/$299 price, trying to use another line on my account to get the eligibility.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
If you do go into an AT&T store and use another person's account to upgrade to the 4G won't they activate the microsim to there account? Or can you ask them to use the upgrade but activate the microsim at a later time since you don't want them to be out of service or even just activate the microsim on your account.

Basically i have a 3gs so im ineligible for the $199/$299 price, trying to use another line on my account to get the eligibility.

Everything can be done in the store by AT&T/Apple store as far using the other line upgrade without interuptting their service.

iphone529

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Don't think you will have any issue. It's the corporate FAN that will run into things

I am not sure that you are correct on this one. When I purchased my 3G iPhone almost 2 years ago I had a FAN code (given my my employer) that gives me a percentage off my bill. I was unable to upgrade without canceling the FAN code.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I am not sure that you are correct on this one. When I purchased my 3G iPhone almost 2 years ago I had a FAN code (given my my employer) that gives me a percentage off my bill. I was unable to upgrade without canceling the FAN code.

Where did you buy the phone? At Apple, they ran into trouble, but AT&T had no problem doing so.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston

They basically just take their eligibility and give it to you. Their contract will get extended by 2 years, but you pay for the upgrade price. All that will change on their account is their contract end date.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So the last part of of the first post OP.......does that mean since I am an existing iPhone customer, I can have the option of unlimited data when I upgrade to the iphone 4?

14. How will the new data plans affect me?
The new plans will lower the cost of an entry-level voice and data plan for smartphones by $15, to $54.99. Existing users will have the option of sticking with their current plans indefinitely, even if they switch phones.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States

I talked to an AT&T rep and a AT&T store and they said it wouldn't be a problem for an upgrade to an iPhone. I just upgrade as usual and get the new phone and stick a data plan on it. Now worries.

So the last part of of the first post OP.......does that mean since I am an existing iPhone customer, I can have the option of unlimited data when I upgrade to the iphone 4?

Yes. You upgrade the phone and not the plan. As long as that plan is currently active, you are good to go.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Does the company pay for your bill or device? You should just notify the company because you are not hurting them in any way if you plan on just paying it no-commit and full price. Then, as a courtesy, offer to return the iPhone you have back to them?

Sounds like a plan. Yes, they do pay the bill - that is why I was ok with sucking up the full price. ;)

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Sounds like a plan. Yes, they do pay the bill - that is why I was ok with sucking up the full price. ;)

At my company, we discourage users from using personal equipment because there are issues regarding corporate data residing on personal devices. When we do allow it, we require them to sign a waiver stating that we can remotely wipe their device at our discretion at any time.

Jonsan

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Yes you should be able to. As long as the carrier you use is running off of a GSM network.

khongaeng

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
USA or ประเทศ&
No problems upgrading with FAN at Apple Store

Assuming Apple offers pre-orders and, I hope, delivery of the new Iphone, what happens in this case? Did this complicate the issue for those with a FAN discount?

Also, how far in advance do you need to cancel if that's what's needed?

I find it strange to hear that people had to cancel their FAN discount before upgrading at an Apple Store. When I upgraded from 3G to 3GS on 3GS launch day last year at the Apple Store, I had no such problems. I was in and out in 5 minutes and no irritation of having to cancel and renew my discount. I bought my phone at one of the Apple Stores in Kansas City, MO.

orange812

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
Question

I have a 3GS that I bought last year at launch. I also did the 108 info from my phone to learn that I'm not elidgable for an upgrade until next Feb (but I can do the cheaper upgrade with the $18 fee if I want to upgrade early). In addition, I have a family member that's willing to let me use their upgrade.

My question is if I follow either of those routes and upgrade, will my contract, with 1 year left, expand to 3 years (original 1 + new 2) or simply reset to a 2 year from the time I purchase the new model?

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I have a 3GS that I bought last year at launch. I also did the 108 info from my phone to learn that I'm not elidgable for an upgrade until next Feb (but I can do the cheaper upgrade with the $18 fee if I want to upgrade early). In addition, I have a family member that's willing to let me use their upgrade.

My question is if I follow either of those routes and upgrade, will my contract, with 1 year left, expand to 3 years (original 1 + new 2) or simply reset to a 2 year from the time I purchase the new model?

It will reset to 2 years from the day of purchase.

Odid

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
My situation is kind of unique.

I got the iPhone 3G back in October 2008. At&t used the wrong social security number(off by 1 number). They then used this to run a credit check and made me deposit $500. I got the deposit back a few months ago, but is this grounds to terminate my contract with them? I told them about this problem but they still did not fix the SS # to the correct one. :rolleyes:

Could I just cancel on SS # and get a new line with my correct SS?

Also upgraded last year on the early upgrade discount.

Suggestions?

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston

I got the iPhone 3G back in October 2008. At&t used the wrong social security number(off by 1 number). They then used this to run a credit check and made me deposit $500. I got the deposit back a few months ago, but is this grounds to terminate my contract with them? I told them about this problem but they still did not fix the SS # to the correct one. :rolleyes:

Suggestions?

Try going into a COR store and see what they can do for you. I have no idea how to help you for this man, sorry about it.

sjn419

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
If I buy the iphone at an ATT store on launch can I bypass the apple store line to just buy an accessory?

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Portland, Oregon
If I want to use another phone on my family plan's account to upgrade, can I do this in an Apple Store?

Or if theres an apple store very close to an ATT store, can I use the family member's phone to upgrade at Apple and just walk over to ATT to get it all sorted out?

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States

Suggestions?

You may be required to visit a corporate store with your original SS card. I have experienced a similar situation but it was sprint. They could fix it.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
If I want to use another phone on my family plan's account to upgrade, can I do this in an Apple Store?

Or if theres an apple store very close to an ATT store, can I use the family member's phone to upgrade at Apple and just walk over to ATT to get it all sorted out?

Question 1: No.

Question 2: Yes.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ok, let's talk upgrade messages and what they mean:

As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2 year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee

You are currently eligible for an upgrade at the current subsidized prices + an $18 upgrade fee.

8GB iPhone 3Gs - $99
16GB iPhone 4 - $199
32GB iPhone 4 - $299

A full discount on a standard handset or iPhone upgrade is not available at this time but you may qualify on xx/xx/2011. We can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price with a 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee
or
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on xx/xx/2011

You are currently eligible for an early upgrade at the early upgrade prices + and $18 upgrade fee.

8GB iPhone 3Gs - $299
16GB iPhone 4 - $399
32GB iPhone 4 - $499

Alternately, you can wait until the date in the message to receive the full upgrade for the fully subsidized prices listed in the first option.

You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade will be available xx/xx/2011

You are not eligible for any upgrade pricing. You can purchase an iPhone at the full unsubsidized pricing.

8GB iPhone 3Gs - $499
16GB iPhone 4 - $599
32GB iPhone 4 - $699

Alternately, you can wait until the date in the message to receive the full upgrade for the fully subsidized prices listed in the first option.

Here is the official AT&T press release:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863

Device New and "Upgrade Eligible" Customers Early Upgrade No Commitment
iPhone 4 16GB $199 $399 $599
iPhone 4 32GB $299 $499 $699
iPhone 3GS (8GB) $99 $299 $499

As with anything, these are deductions based on the information we have at hand. However, your best way of verifying all of your options is to call AT&T. Some users have found that a call to AT&T worked to their advantage. Continuing to ask "I have x date or y message" in this forum will meet with limited success as we are not AT&T. It is suggested that you contact AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.