Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I purchased my 3GS at launch, but my upgrade is still set to 2/20/11 so if it doesn't change till the 24th then I plan on using my moms upgrade so I can grab the IPhone 4 for 200. My question is about preordering through AT&T. I am on a family plan with my mom and what I plan to do is to preorder using my moms line, then when I get to the sales rep on the 24th I tell the sales rep that I will be using the IPhone and to transfer my number instead of my moms. Will doing this work out okay? I never preordered an iphone through at&t so I am unsure about the exact process. My mom is cool with it since I plan to give her my upgrade next year.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
The only problem left is selling it on criagslist without getting scammed lol, but I've used criagslist for years so it would be quite hard to scam me.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
That's what I'm doing. Not sure how it's going to work exactly. I'd read the upgrade guide as posted above but that's far more text than I'd like to comprehend at 2:30 in the morning. Plus this is a public forum, so people can feel free to ask questions without hesitation.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I did this last year....upgraded another line then swapped the new sim with my iPhone

1 THING THO.....your mom may have an older sim or a sim not compatible with the new iphone, in order for them to upgrade, they might have to add a new sim number to the account. Which will cut her phone off

so then u will need ATT to change the sim number to your line, then add your moms old sim number back to her account

im sure ATT will be busy that day, so good luck

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
SO I pre order on my other line and have it activated on my line?

(I have a family member with an upgrade, and they have no want to get an iPhone, or any new phone for that matter, anytime soon.)

EDIT: without swapping sims, or the other person being cut off... because the person with the other line will be 450 miles away from me...

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
SO I pre order on my other line and have it activated on my line?

(I have a family member with an upgrade, and they have no want to get an iPhone, or any new phone for that matter, anytime soon.)

EDIT: without swapping sims, or the other person being cut off... because the person with the other line will be 450 miles away from me...

The activation has to go thru on the line being upgraded first. Then switched after. The iPhone 4 sim number added to your account. Then the upgraded line switched back to the original sim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.