Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
I was typing an article on my Macbook Pro, and I got a phone call. I answered the phone, talked for maybe 2 minutes, and when I turned my attention back to my computer, I was confused to find some of my documents open that weren't before. Immediately, I saw the mouse moving on it's own, but not randomly - someone was actually using it, going through my files one by one. I couldn't grab control of the cursor back, so I just turned off the computer and am now typing this message on my other one.

What the hell?! what is going on??

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
Yes, screen sharing is enabled.

I have Snow Leopard. I can't tell you which version offhand, because I am afraid to turn it back on.

My room mates are on my home network, but that's it, and they were both in the kitchen cooking when this happened. I do have MobileMe, and Back To My Mac is enabled.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You don't have to fear turning it on. Until you resolve the issue, just turn off WiFi so you can't connect to the web.

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
EDIT: The computer was at the log in screen just now, but not logged in, and the mouse was moving in circles on the screen

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are you connected via ethernet? Unless you have a Bluetooth mouse, there's no way for your mouse to be taken over without any network connection.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm guessing someone in your place has a bluetooth mouse connected to your Mac....;-)

This is what I was thinking. It could even be someone next door if you live in an apartment complex.

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
Bluetooth is always off.

So I'm wondering if it's possible that my trackpad is at fault. I now have to use considerable more effort to move the cursor on the screen. Does anyone know anything about trackpad problems in which the mouse "comes alive" and acts on its own?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Bluetooth is always off.

So I'm wondering if it's possible that my trackpad is at fault. I now have to use considerable more effort to move the cursor on the screen. Does anyone know anything about trackpad problems in which the mouse "comes alive" and acts on its own?

Disable Bluetooth, wireless, and wired. Go entirely offline. Does the issue re-occur?

If someone is remote controlling your machine, then they can hold your mouse back, as the computer is accepting input from both you and them.

Bluetooth is always off.

What do you mean by "effort"?

Go to Trackpad in System Prefs. Compare your sliders to these, any of these considerably off or different?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-09 at 3.52.36 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-09 at 3.52.36 PM.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 215

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Bluetooth is always off.

Do you download torrents or other cracked programs pirated movies or watched video not on a main site like youtube?

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
Again, have you an Ethernet cable plugged into the Ethernet port?
And have you taken a look at Activity Monitor or the Console?

No, nothing was plugged in at all.

I am now looking at the Activity Monitor. Is there anyhting in particular I should be looking for?

makeminemaudlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
DC
What do you mean by "effort"?

Go to Trackpad in System Prefs. Compare your sliders to these, any of these considerably off or different?

It looks exactly the same as yours.

By effort, I mean it isn't taking as much input as it was, say, 10 minutes ago. The cursor moves slower, more randomly, and erratically (but only a little and nothing compared to what I just witnessed)

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Yes I do.

To be SAFE then I would reinstall the OS if you have personal important info like bank numbers etc. If you cant do that run disk utility and check your hard drive also download any scanner for Trojans etc you may have gotten it through a pirated app that required a password to install.:confused:

EDIT: Enable firewall to ONLY ESSENTIAL SERVICES and enable STEALTH MODE log attempts to access your mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.