Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
I just recieved my Actiontec Qwest DSL modem and actiavation today. I have been setting it up. I got the modem hooked up through my powermac g4 and my girlfriends powerbook is hooked up through airport since the modem is also 54g wireless.

Anyhow, I set it up through the qwest cd that came with it. But, with this I am not really getting this to work as a real network. I can connect using direct ip and then mounting. But, as far as the wireless internet I can't set a password, so anyone with in a couple hundred feet can use my internet.
How can I activate a password and also change the name of the network?

Thank you so much for your help!

EminenceGrise

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
As the other post said, go to http://192.168.0.1 (this is the "non-internet routable" private IP address of the DSL modem) and login as admin to change the settings via the web interface. There should be some detailed instructions in the box on how to log in this way if you need help. You will then have to click on the "Setup/Configuration" link, followed by the "Advanced Setup" link. The wireless configuration info can be changed here (along with a few other things that I wouldn't muck with unless you know what you are doing).

NOTE: for whatever reason, in the (apparently buggy) firmware version I have, you can't skip around using the left sidebar links to just the sections you want to configure. When I do this, it loses any previous setting in the pages I skip and sets them back to the defaults when the config is saved - very annoying and confusing as hell when the router reboots and it's quit working. So I recommend sticking to the "back" and "next" buttons on the bottom of the page. Just click through any of the pages you don't need to muck with to get to the final page that saves the config and reboots the router.

You can set up WEP, or WPA-PSK (but not both at the same time) as well as MAC address filtering, channel, etc. I would use WPA-PSK if all of your wireless machines support it (any Panther Mac will).

Also, if something gets really hosed, you can use the Utilities section on the router web interface to reset the modem to the default settings. You will have to start over and re-do ALL of the setup if you do this however (like your DSL PPP login info, etc.).

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
EminenceGrise said:
NOTE: for whatever reason, in the (apparently buggy) firmware version I have, you can't skip around using the left sidebar links to just the sections you want to configure. When I do this, it loses any previous setting in the pages I skip and sets them back to the defaults when the config is saved - very annoying and confusing as hell when the router reboots and it's quit working. So I recommend sticking to the "back" and "next" buttons on the bottom of the page. Just click through any of the pages you don't need to muck with to get to the final page that saves the config and reboots the router.

I haven't seen any problem navigating through the web interface using the latest version of Safari. The odd thing I have seen is it won't connect automatically. When I first set it up and after a recent power failure, I have to go to the status page and click "Connect". Then it just always says "Connecting.." and never seems to complete, but my connection works.

EminenceGrise

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
osprey76 said:
I haven't seen any problem navigating through the web interface using the latest version of Safari. The odd thing I have seen is it won't connect automatically. When I first set it up and after a recent power failure, I have to go to the status page and click "Connect". Then it just always says "Connecting.." and never seems to complete, but my connection works.

I don't think I was very clear - I only have this problem in the "Advanced Setup" pages, where it has links in a sidebar to skip to different pages, and a "Save and Restart" link at the bottom. For the firmware version I have at least, it's buggy and doesn't work right (wiping out settings from other pages I haven't touched). It might be fixed in later versions, but it's been a while since I checked to see if there were any updates.

I have the "Connecting..." issue too, but my connection doesn't work then. I have to use the Disconnect button and then reconnect. It works fine after that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.