Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathan1822

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2010
In simple terms I am currently using my iPad on the O2 network on Holiday but the signal is crap. I am aware that I get a good 3G T-Mobile signal where I am and am therefore looking to swap out (temporarily) for a 3 (three) sim card as this runs on the same network infrastructure.

Now my problem. My iPad is registered on iTunes with O2 but the computer is a long way away. Having read the installation guide on the three website it indicates that I will need to connect the iPad to iTunes after I have setup and account and put in the sim card. Is this correct if the iPad is already registered and up and running or can I just swap out the sim and run with three for the next month or so?

Bit complex I know, thanks for any help you can give.

Jonathan

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No you should be able to just pop out one sim and insert the other. Always restart your ipad afterwards just to make sure it's starting fresh with no traces of the other sims APN. You DO NOT need to sync with iTunes everytime. Hope that helps.

Jonathan1822

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Thanks for your help - I will give it a go and update if there are any problems.

Jonathan

stujmac26

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
I'm interested to know if this works as I swapped out my Orange SIM for a 3 SIM earlier today, was working fine and then after a minute it went to 'No Network' and then wouldn't even bring up the network list. I was thinking I may need to connect to iTunes but need to wait until tonight. In the meantime I popped the Orange SIM back in and it is fine....

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
I cut up a PAYG 3 sim earlier having received a micro sim adapter yesterday. I switched off the iPad when I swapped over the micro sim from O2 (which I've never used) to 3. After switching the iPad back on, the 3 sim found their network immediately with 5 bars and 3G indicated. I have since synced the iPad with iTunes 9.2 beta and didn't get a network update.

I have only done a brief amount of surfing with it so can't report back on the network error yet. It is a sim I've had for a while now having used it in a phone then a Huawei E160G dongle and finally a Huawei MiFi.

Phil Lee

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
Manchester, UK
As an update on my earlier post, I left cellular data active with no wifi for 2 hours with no sign of disconnection with my 3 sim. I'll report back again later.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Make sure the SIM is activated.

3/Vodafone/Orange have to be activated by phoning the network or it wont show any service.

Cut up SIMs already activated will show a signal right away.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also whilst a lot of sims work without you inputting the APN, it's better if you do. Makes the 3G cellular connection more reliable.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Three.co.uk password and username left blank. O2 settings pop in automatically providing you've downloaded the carrier settings.

You do not need to activate a 3 card if it's a dongle card cut down. They activate on first use.

On a side note 3 do not have an edge network only 3g if your ipad falls back to edge it's then that you'll find it won't work. They rent edge/grps towers as a backup for there mobile network so you get noticed and kicked from the network if your not on 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.