Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Hey guys, i want to design and publish a magazin on the iPad (iam a layouter) but i whas wondering what i have to do exactly? I mean are there any tools for this? Has anyone here ever tried something like this? How hard is it for example to make something with the dev kit where you just scroll though pages (via swiping) and maybe emb a video etc !?

thx :apple:

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
From what you describe a web page would actually be your best bet. Are you familiar at all with that?

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
From what you describe a web page would actually be your best bet. Are you familiar at all with that?

sure iam but i dont want it as a website, i want a app to download and use offlne…something like the time app or pop science

vdpoorten

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
hello

try using the free trail software of woodwing. this software was used for the time magazine. if iam reading it correctly it is an add on for indesign.

http://www.woodwing.com/

Let me know if you can use it.

Cheers
Costess

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
sure iam but i dont want it as a website, i want a app to download and use offlne…something like the time app or pop science

Just because it's not online doesn't mean it can't be HTML/CSS. You can still use that and just download the content locally, you would probably want the app to be able to call a web service and get more content anyway regardless of what's being delivered.

It's not just about the flipping through pages, you have to think about zooming in on the content and then moving though it that way as well (kinda like a comic reader). You could create pages and then just use the tables to define the zoom in on the content pieces and then catch the swipe events to go to the next or previous element on the page (or turn the page and zoom back out).

If someone where familiar with the iSDK this wouldn't be a big deal I don't think, but I don't know of any software that already does it...

danfrommi

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
As others have suggested, one option is to use a desktop publishing program (Pages is great!) and output to PDF, then post that PDF online.

Or, you could use something like iWeb to create a Web page.

Or, if you'd prefer a multimedia magazine, you could use a desktop publishing program to create a PDF, then convert that PDF file into a multimedia, digital publication that can be displayed in Safari on the iPad, iPhone, iTouch, and of course Macs, Windows PCs, and Linux systems. Essentially, this combines the formatting of a PDF with the multimedia of a Web page.

For a sample, try:
http://www.mediatechnicscorp.com/pub/ipad/page1.htm

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
There should be a thread on how to price magazines on the iPad. Good luck to the OP though, I do love reading them on this device.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
According to information I've learned about the successful iPad version of Wired magazine, it's simply an app that lets you zoom in and switch between PDFs with integrated movies.

If you don't have any initial plans for interactive content, a good start would be to just publish the magazine as a PDF and then make a simple app (or ask a freelance iPad dev) to make a container app that loads all the PDFs and makes it easy to scroll between each page.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
According to information I've learned about the successful iPad version of Wired magazine, it's simply an app that lets you zoom in and switch between PDFs with integrated movies.

If you don't have any initial plans for interactive content, a good start would be to just publish the magazine as a PDF and then make a simple app (or ask a freelance iPad dev) to make a container app that loads all the PDFs and makes it easy to scroll between each page.

actually i think the Wired app is less like a PDF and more like a plain static image viewer.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
actually i think the Wired app is less like a PDF and more like a plain static image viewer.

Sorry, yes, you're absolutely right. I must have got PDFs on the brain, I meant PNGs — that's all the Wired app is at the fundamental level.

DocStone- I think the best way of publishing onto iTunes would be to create a developer account ($99) and then put it out there as a self-contained app.

An alternative (albeit more complicated) option is to try syndicating it via a website or RSS feed.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Just to add, it might be worth checking out Zinio.

They have a wonderful magazine reader for the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad.

Depending on how your content is distributed, Zinio might be a good option to look into.

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
adobe hasnt posted anything new about the indesign plugin they used for the wired app did they ?

alicaurusrex

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Dorset, UK
Once created, how would one upload to iTunes? I would love to create a free zine. Thanks.

-A

I agree, this could be really interesting... is there some kind of way where you can share PDFs freely (or for a charge) through iTunes? It would be interesting for eBooks...

Neechtree

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
I am in the process of creating a zine now. Specifically for the ipad. (As a school design project).

InDesign CS5 is great for this, and is great for creating interactive pdfs...

However, I am having an issue with varying page lengths. For example, when you read TIME Magazine on the ipad, it has some pages that are the exact size of the screen, and others that are longer vertically, allowing the user to scroll down and interact with the content a little.

This is easy to set up in InDesign, but it seems that none of the pdf readers on the ipad acknowledge this variation in page size, and they fit all pages so the entire thing is on the screen, leaving blank/grey space on the sides, instead of just showing the top portion, so you can scroll down and see the rest.

Does this make sense?

Does anyone know a way to get this to work in ibooks or any other pdf reader?

I assume that the magazines do this through formatting that takes place in their own apps that they have total control over....

pequotjohn

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
indesign templates for ipad

Is anyone aware of any packaged CS suite templates that might already be set up for ipad dimensions, with simple page designs that could be dragged into the layout area?

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Wired app is created by a plugin of Adobe called
Adobe publishing tools, u have to pay 1 amount, and then a certain amount per sold magazine too.
What I did is create a PDF reader, with some functions on it, works too tbh.
Hope u work it out.

olindacat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Greenwich
Wired app is created by a plugin of Adobe called
Adobe publishing tools, u have to pay 1 amount, and then a certain amount per sold magazine too.
What I did is create a PDF reader, with some functions on it, works too tbh.
Hope u work it out.

That would be their Digital Publishing Suite, that is hosted by them. $5K up front for 25K downloads + $495/mo for platform fee. The DPS is shipping with CS5.5 but the fee structure is why I'm reading this post: searching for my own self-hosted way....

Here's link: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpubli...cing_the_adobe_digital_magazine_workflow.html

santiv

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
Does anyone know if I can use InDesign 5.5 to preview on an ipad? Do I still need to purchase the Digital Publishing Suite just for previewing on device? Are there other solutions for a small publisher that is distributing a magazine internally?

amoscowdog

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Sydney
Does anyone know if I can use InDesign 5.5 to preview on an ipad? Do I still need to purchase the Digital Publishing Suite just for previewing on device? Are there other solutions for a small publisher that is distributing a magazine internally?

If you get an acrobat.com account you can upload a Folio from InDesign 5 or 5.5 to a workspace and then share that workspace with others who have an account.

If you add the Adobe Viewer app to your iPad you can download that Folio into the app and view it on the iPad.

Note: with a free acrobat.com account you can only have 1 workspace that means only one folio at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.