Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntscan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
is it still 32mb like in the 3rd generation?....you wonder why apple doesn't put this info on its web site.....

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
crazzyeddie said:
Why wouldn't it still be 32MB? Its a pretty good size from what most people have said.
Apple needs to use a larger buffer. It takes a lot less power to read from a buffer than from a hard disk.

Using a larger buffer would drastically improve battery life. Just look at these flash players that get 40+ hours on a single AAA battery.

And by the way, I think the 3rd gen iPods have a 60 MB buffer, I don't know about 1st or 2nd though.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
No, the 3rd and 4th Gen both have the same buffer. Not sure about the 1st and 2nd Gen, but the 1st Gen had a 7 minute buffer, I believe.

Also, if the buffer size was increased, it means that the HDD would have to spin for longer in order to fill it, which results in a greater probably to skip during a shake. I think the remedy is to give it a bigger buffer, but also increase the HDD speed. That way, it doesn't take 50% longer to fill a buffer that's 50% larger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.