Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I called Apple and could not get answers to these questions (do you all know?):

Is the HP iPod Mac compatible?

Is the HP iPod manufactured by Apple?

Are there any cosmetic differences besides the logo (in the picture on costco.com, the scroll wheel looks like a darker grey to me)?

I ask because of the $249 deal (link at pbcentral.com) at buy.com.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
swingerofbirch said:
I called Apple and could not get answers to these questions (do you all know?):

Is the HP iPod Mac compatible?

Is the HP iPod manufactured by Apple?

Are there any cosmetic differences besides the logo (in the picture on costco.com, the scroll wheel looks like a darker grey to me)?

I ask because of the $249 deal (link at pbcentral.com) at buy.com.

Yes
No
No

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
i thought so, anyone got screen shots of the box's?

its funny i've seem them sold on a few differnt sites and very few mention mac compatability. Maybe apple wants all mac users to buy through them!

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
I remember reading that a site lists it as having a glowing click-wheel, and it has a pic of the click wheel with the text glowing orange.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Original poster
got some info

I called the Apple Store and spoke to a lovely woman named Irene.

She told me that she is almost positive the only difference is the HP logo.

I asked her about if the scroll wheel glows on one model and not the other, and she said when any 4G iPod is backlit and in the dark there is an orange glow on the buttons (I don't know, I've never seen either the 4G ipod or hpod).

She seemed sad not to get my sale and said you can get it here for only $269 (I'm a student), and I said I'm sorry I can't give you the sale but I am gonna go with the cheaper price if the hardware is the same, plus I don't have to pay sales tax with buy.com.

She must have quickly looked at buy.com because she then said, oh I see they're just taking preorders, I can ship it to you right away. She was working hard for the sale.

I apologized and told her how confusing this hPod deal is, and she started laughing and said it made no sense to her.

As far as compatibility she thought they were "PC formatted" but that as soon as I plugged it in, it would format itself. I don't know what that's about, so anyhow, I am now seriously considering the hPod from buy.com (which ironically had a competing music store before, right??)

I might wait till the 31st though to see if there is something else I should be (or want to be) spending my money on.

Ciao.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
swingerofbirch said:
I called the Apple Store and spoke to a lovely woman named Irene.

She told me that she is almost positive the only difference is the HP logo.

I asked her about if the scroll wheel glows on one model and not the other, and she said when any 4G iPod is backlit and in the dark there is an orange glow on the buttons (I don't know, I've never seen either the 4G ipod or hpod).

She seemed sad not to get my sale and said you can get it here for only $269 (I'm a student), and I said I'm sorry I can't give you the sale but I am gonna go with the cheaper price if the hardware is the same, plus I don't have to pay sales tax with buy.com.

She must have quickly looked at buy.com because she then said, oh I see they're just taking preorders, I can ship it to you right away. She was working hard for the sale.

I apologized and told her how confusing this hPod deal is, and she started laughing and said it made no sense to her.

As far as compatibility she thought they were "PC formatted" but that as soon as I plugged it in, it would format itself. I don't know what that's about, so anyhow, I am now seriously considering the hPod from buy.com (which ironically had a competing music store before, right??)

I might wait till the 31st though to see if there is something else I should be (or want to be) spending my money on.

Ciao.
The Apple iPod by HP and the Apple iPod are the same machine sold at the same price. IIRC, HP offers a better warranty. The hPod sports an HP logo in addition to the Apple logo. Basically, your about the hPod and iPod comes down to whom you want to give a sale. Everything else is the same.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
Irene, while nice and all, is clueless. the click-wheel of the 4G iPods absolutely do NOT glow orange when backlighting is on.

i wish people would stop pulling stuff out of their butts, especially salespeople.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.