Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Size Will You Get?

• 16GB

Votes: 66 31.6%
  • 32GB

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So for those that have experience with the 16GB and 32GB 3GS models, given the information I will explain, do I need to go with the larger capacity or will 16GB suffice.

Im not one who feels they need to put their entire music/iTunes collection on their phone. I will probably have no more than 1GB worth of music at any one time. If Im feeling conflicted maybe another 1GB but doubtful. As far as videos I wont have more than a few on there. Maybe another 1GB or 2. As far as apps, I highly doubt I would ever get more than 100 apps at once and from what I understand, outside of GPS apps, they are all pretty much 10MB or less. So at a 100 apps maybe another 1GB there. Lets say I buy a GPS app that takes up 2GB. So Ive got 1GB in music, 1GB of videos, 1GB of Apps and a 2GB GPS app. Ive used 5GB and I would have somewhere between 10GB and 11GB left.

Now lets talk about photos. I wont really load anything more than some wallpapers but when I start taking photos (and videos) I wont let them pile up for too long without moving them to my MacBook. So if I have several hundred photos on the iPhone at any one time, lets say 1GB to 2GB used.

Would I be fine in this scenario? Or should I go for 32GB? So I may get down to 8GB free, maybe less if I let stuff build up more. Would you find this acceptable for your use?

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
Go for the 16 GB

Just go for the 16 GB it will have large enough storage capacity for your needs.

I have the 32 GB 3Gs now and i have 11 GB music. 3500+ Photos and some movies. Around 60 apps. some big some small. I still have 13 GB free space on the phone.
So if you are to have 1-2 GB of music some photos and some movies and apps. you should be fine with the 16 GB model. i for sure will get the 16 GB model of the iPhone 4. (Just need to select the music i want to have on in and don't bring the entire library)

Hope this cold help you.

So for those that have experience with the 16GB and 32GB 3GS models, given the information I will explain, do I need to go with the larger capacity or will 16GB suffice.

Im not one who feels they need to put their entire music/iTunes collection on their phone. I will probably have no more than 1GB worth of music at any one time. If Im feeling conflicted maybe another 1GB but doubtful. As far as videos I wont have more than a few on there. Maybe another 1GB or 2. As far as apps, I highly doubt I would ever get more than 100 apps at once and from what I understand, outside of GPS apps, they are all pretty much 10MB or less. So at a 100 apps maybe another 1GB there. Lets say I buy a GPS app that takes up 2GB. So Ive got 1GB in music, 1GB of videos, 1GB of Apps and a 2GB GPS app. Ive used 5GB and I would have somewhere between 10GB and 11GB left.

Now lets talk about photos. I wont really load anything more than some wallpapers but when I start taking photos (and videos) I wont let them pile up for too long without moving them to my MacBook. So if I have several hundred photos on the iPhone at any one time, lets say 1GB to 2GB used.

Would I be fine in this scenario? Or should I go for 32GB? So I may get down to 8GB free, maybe less if I let stuff build up more. Would you find this acceptable for your use?

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I'm going with the 32 GB only because I imagine the 720P video recording will probably take up some room. Not to mention apps seem to be getting larger lately. Although the way you are using it I don't see why 16GB wouldn't be enough.

Btw you should put in a poll. ;)

Alicia4065

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
NJ
I'm getting the 32gb Iphone 4, right now I have a 16gb 3gs and its already filled.
I have 5gb of music and that's not even my whole collection and a little over 6gb worth of apps.

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
I'm getting the 32gb Iphone 4, right now I have a 16gb 3gs and its already filled.
I have 5gb of music and that's not even my whole collection and a little over 6gb worth of apps.

Holy crapp... 6 GB of apps... what apps do you have that take so much space?

or is it that you have way to many apps and you seldom or never use most of them?

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Here is the way I look at it ..

For $100 more you get 16 extra GB. 16 extra GB for potentially a year or 2 years until you get a new phone. You're going to have your phone with you all the time .. and that extra storage could come in handy many times in those 1-2 years, especially with all the new features like HD recording.

For me, $100 is less than what I make in 1 day at work (right out of college) yet that $100 extra for 16 GB more is so worth it when I look at the value of it.

I always get the biggest capacity storage for any device I get.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I'm in a similar dilemma. As I see it, choose 32GB if:
  1. You can afford the additional $100 cost
  2. You plan on playing media locally
  3. You plan on being on a limited data plan and/or have limited Wi-Fi
  4. You plan on reselling in the future
  5. You are installing large games or apps (like GPS software)
  6. You don't plan on syncing a lot, so you're relying on as much media at hand
  7. You plan on taking a lot of HD videos and photos
  8. You've ever maxed out a previous iPhone/iPod touch

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL

For $100 more you get 16 extra GB. 16 extra GB for potentially a year or 2 years until you get a new phone. You're going to have your phone with you all the time .. and that extra storage could come in handy many times in those 1-2 years, especially with all the new features like HD recording.

For me, $100 is less than what I make in 1 day at work (right out of college) yet that $100 extra for 16 GB more is so worth it when I look at the value of it.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say as well. If price isn't a huge concern, you might as well go for the 32. It's better to have too much free space that you don't need than not enough space when you really need it. :)

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
I have 5gb for apps myself, 6gb for music, and 2 for video. Not even close to holding all my music and that's using the 128 bit option in iTunes.

As for the apps, only one is a nav program. Some of the newer games are getting quite large. You didn't mention the video usage and with HD video coming to the iPhone 4 you might want to keep that in mind when considering 32 vs 64.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I have 5gb for apps myself, 6gb for music, and 2 for video. Not even close to holding all my music and that's using the 128 bit option in iTunes.

As for the apps, only one is a nav program. Some of the newer games are getting quite large. You didn't mention the video usage and with HD video coming to the iPhone 4 you might want to keep that in mind when considering 32 vs 64.

You mean 16 vs 32. ;) 64 is still a wetdream :(

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

This is what Im now thinking. The cost is not a factor since Ive sold my Droid to cover the cost of a 16GB as it is. Im tired of buying phones every 3-6mos plus with a baby due in September and the wife getting annoyed with my lavish phone spending, Im going to probably have this for 1+ years. Im thinking with the HD video and higher quality pictures I may need the capacity.

Ive done the math again and Im thinking that 14GB free from factory so 14GB - 3GB for music as I stand now, 2GB for apps, 2GB for a Navigation app = 7GB free. I will want to put on a bunch of wallpapers and other photos for now so lets say that uses up 1GB off the bat. That leaves me with 6GB to use for new HD videos, photos, ebooks and pdf files. If Im out on and doing a good bit of recording and taking photos for a whole day I dont want to worry about it. Plus new apps are going to take up more space than before with the new capabilities and quality/

After doing that thinking Im probably opting for the 32GB to have the room.

MrBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Norway
Now I have to change my saying a bit here. since you apparently are going with a plan and it is only 100 USD more. Get the 32 GB no doubt the best value.
the price difference here in norway is more like 300 USD and for 16 GB extra memory it is not worth paying 300 extra. But only 100 extra that is a good deal.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I have a 32GB now and will replace w/ another 32GB. I don't use most of the space, but more than the 14GBs the 16GB model would provide. I keep a good bit of music on it which is why I go for the 32. I would not go for the 64 if offered though.

I have a 32GB iPad too, and could easily live w/ a 16GB model. I don't keep any music on it, and maybe 4 movies for "emergency" use. Just an illustration of why it just depends what you will do w/ the space.

timerollson

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2005
heretothere
Going with the 16gb. I have no plans of making the iPhone my full-time music player so I'm not too worried about space issues. I'll still be carrying around my 160gb iPod classic.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Well, here are my observations, some touched on by others here already.

Until recently (when AT&T allowed 3g app download/updates under 20MB), it had been increasing difficult to update apps over 3G; apps we're growing over 10MB. It seems to be happening again. Even apps that were less the 10MB one year ago are growing due to added content and updates. I have about 5GB of apps and I haven't hit 100 apps yet.

New apps made for iPhone 4 may have higher resolution, and therefore larger filesizes (similar to iPad)

New 5MP camera and 720P recording; larger file sizes for photos and videos.

Don't forget storage for email, attachments, browser cache, app cache, etc...

Your own transferred videos may be larger to take advantage of higher resolution screen.

In the end, only you can decide what is right your needs. I haven't used the full 16GB on my iPhone 3GS, but I have come within 3-4 GB, and that's too close for comfort considering all the previous info posted above. I'm selling my iPad 3G, since I just can't see me paying for (2) data plans, and I still use my iPhone more - iPad mostly in crapper or in bed during the news. Imagine how much more I will use the new 4!

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Anyone know about how much space HD recording will use per minute. 720P at 30fps... This is what's going to make me get a 32.

Thats what I was thinking about a lot. I looked in my iTunes and on my iPhone 2G I have like 3 videos with a total of 15 minutes totat between the 3 of them and they are over 300MB just for that. Im thinking with the HD recording on the iPhone it will be more than that for the same time so I will opt for 32GB.

And I just thought of this but being in college, all of my lectures are recorded videos and I want to be able to put them on my iPhone to watch/listen to so Im sure they will add up quickly.

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
32 Gig. Increased resolution, bigger apps, videos (everything about videos), and resale value (yes, I am planning on selling the phone next year because 5 will probably be the shiznitz+++ and I cannot stand that I don't have the latest). I am amazed at the resale value of an iPhone. Never had an item which held its value like that.

mike1123

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I'm getting 32GB this time around, mainly because I'm slowly but surely switching to Apple Lossless.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Currently I have less than a gig left on my 3GS 16g but I will be getting the 32g I like to take photos and watch a lot of stuff I can deal now but if I can get 300$ for my phone I would gladly pay the 300$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.