Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I opened this thread for all us Canadian iPhone customers. Whether you're on Rogers, Bell, Fido, Telus or Virgin

Here we can accumulate and share any thoughts, rumors or news about release dates, upgrade eligibility, monthly plans, troubleshooting and everything else you'd like to write about, whether it be regarding the 3g, 3GS, 4 or 4S

Okay, so let the fun begin!

Last edited:

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
myself, I'm in Toronto and am on the Rogers Wireless network.

I upgraded to the 3GS last year on launch day. I'm extremely hopeful they will let me upgrade again this year to the iPhone 4. I want to get the 32Gig for the $299 price. But at the same time, I have a bad feeling they won't let me get it for that price and will probably charge me an extra $100 or so. Hopefully I won't have to buy it outright at the $699 price.

I tested the waters on Kijiji.ca this week selling my 3GS....I had offers of close to $500 all day long. So if worse comes to worse I guess I'll just pitch in the extra couple hundred bucks.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Oh one more thing.....

I read on the Rogers Red Board (their own customer forum) some guy said he heard that regardless of what was said at the keynote, he heard from a solid source the iPhone 4 was going to be released on launch day on June 24th...

What do you all think? I think the guy is crazy....I'd love to believe it, but I'd just be setting myself up for disappointment.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'd have to agree that the guy is crazy, lol. I'd rather not set myself up for disappointment, I did that already when thinking the the iPhone would launch in mid June before the keynote.

Also, you never know, Rogers may have promotion again and give discount to those who upgraded to the 3GS a year ago.

anfield11

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
myself, I'm in Toronto and am on the Rogers Wireless network.

I upgraded to the 3GS last year on launch day. I'm extremely hopeful they will let me upgrade again this year to the iPhone 4. I want to get the 32Gig for the $299 price. But at the same time, I have a bad feeling they won't let me get it for that price and will probably charge me an extra $100 or so. Hopefully I won't have to buy it outright at the $699 price.

I tested the waters on Kijiji.ca this week selling my 3GS....I had offers of close to $500 all day long. So if worse comes to worse I guess I'll just pitch in the extra couple hundred bucks.

Not questioning you but why the hell would someone pay $500 for a used 3Gs?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto

because they are probably unaware of what transpired in the past week..

or maybe they don't like how the new one looks, or don't need the features... there could be many reasons.

last year if your bill was over $100/month, then you got the phone for $199/$299 + $35 activation.

anfield11

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
because they are probably unaware of what transpired in the past week..

or maybe they don't like how the new one looks, or don't need the features... there could be many reasons.

last year if your bill was over $100/month, then you got the phone for $199/$299 + $35 activation.

I've had a 3G for just short of two years and plan to get the 4G when it's out {$299}. But on eBay and Kijiji it looks like I could get $250+ for mine...nuts! :)

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I currently have a Blackberry which Best Buy said they would replace for me under warranty. I want to get the iPhone 4, but I have a feeling Bell will screw me over. Even though the exchange has NOTHING to do with Bell.

I currently have a CDMA phone and will need a sim card for the iPhone 4. Bell will force me off the $30 unlimited Data plan I currently have. I just have a bad feeling about it. I'm going to end up paying more for less. ($35 for 1GB).

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

iPhones hold extremely good value.. I put a nearly 2 year old 3G up for sale month ago and got hammered with offers. ended up selling it for nearly $400.

I regularly see 3GS' go for close to $500

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario

Well I put it on Kijiji.ca for $550 OBO

People were offering anywhere between $475 to $500....I made sure to state it's in "good" not great condition and has always been in a case when not being used. I also offered to include the leather case I have and the head phones it came with.

So maybe you're right, if the case and head phones weren't included I would probably only get around $400 or so.

SkottDMD

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Canada
Anyone know what the wait period is with Rogers for an upgrade?

If you're on a three year contract, it's 1yr if you want upgrade to a non-smart phone, 2yrs to upgrade to a smart phone with a full subsidy. Last year, those who had purchased an iPhone 3G within a specific time frame were able to upgrade to the 3GS with a partial subsidy. Rogers has not announced anything yet in terms of pricing, release date, or what they plan to offer existing iPhone users (if anything...). Was anyone able to buy the 3GS last year off-contract on launch date? I know Apple and Rogers had both announced the non-contract pricing but while I was waiting around (at Future Shop) they were given a memo saying they were not to sell the phone off-contract. I saw the memo myself, but I can't remember if it was from Rogers or Future Shop. Didn't matter to me, but depending on what Rogers decides to to this year, I may be looking at purchasing at full price.

Oh one more thing.....

I read on the Rogers Red Board (their own customer forum) some guy said he heard that regardless of what was said at the keynote, he heard from a solid source the iPhone 4 was going to be released on launch day on June 24th...

What do you all think? I think the guy is crazy....I'd love to believe it, but I'd just be setting myself up for disappointment.

I could see Rogers being able to swing a deal like this, however, since nothing has been announced I highly doubt we'll be getting it on the 24th. As I've mentioned in the other Canadian threads, I'm thinking we'll be waiting until mid-July at the earliest. The end of July would seem most likely, I highly doubt Apple would stagger the releases only a week or two.

I currently have a Blackberry which Best Buy said they would replace for me under warranty. I want to get the iPhone 4, but I have a feeling Bell will screw me over. Even though the exchange has NOTHING to do with Bell.

I would sincerely hope that doesn't affect your eligibility, but I have no idea how Bell works. If you're going through Best Buy's own warranty program, I don't think Bell would be involved in the replacement at all? I do know that when my HTC Touch died, Rogers counted the replacement as an upgrade which affected me being able to upgrade to a 3G when it came out.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I would sincerely hope that doesn't affect your eligibility, but I have no idea how Bell works. If you're going through Best Buy's own warranty program, I don't think Bell would be involved in the replacement at all? I do know that when my HTC Touch died, Rogers counted the replacement as an upgrade which affected me being able to upgrade to a 3G when it came out.

See part of the issue here is that i have a CDMA phone. So when i change to an iPhone it will be a HSPA phone. So Bell has to be involved in order for me to get a SIM card. That's when they say, sorry NO SIM card on the unlimited plan.... I'm still going to try and make it work somehow. But we all know how lovely Bell is to work with!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
See part of the issue here is that i have a CDMA phone. So when i change to an iPhone it will be a HSPA phone. So Bell has to be involved in order for me to get a SIM card. That's when they say, sorry NO SIM card on the unlimited plan.... I'm still going to try and make it work somehow. But we all know how lovely Bell is to work with!

If worse comes to worse, maybe pull the "I'm going to check out Rogers deals then"....you'd have to speak with someone in the Retention dept. though as usually CSR don't have the pull to do something like that. It could be worth a try. Anyhow, good luck with whatever you do decide!

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
Just a heads up to Fido customers. If you want to jump over to Rogers, you don't have to pay a termination fee since it's the same company. You move your number over to Rogers, sign a new contract, get a new phone and then contact Fido. They'll verify that you've signed a 3-year contract with Rogers and let you leave Fido. And you'll have your old phone to do whatever you want with.

This is what Rogers told me last year. I imagine it's still the same but I'd check with them to be sure.

The only thing stopping me from actually making the move is the fact that I have the 6GB data plan. I'd rather not lose that, but if you're one of the people with less data, it might be worthwhile.

Macnator

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
Canada
I have a 32GB Black iPhone 3GS that I got last year on launch day - June 19th. I've had it in a case almost 24/7 and have a screen protector on it that I put on it on launch day as well. I've got the box, earbuds (never used them), USB cable, manuals, charger etc. It will be hard to part with the box because I love my Apple boxes. :D

How much could I get for it? How fast would it sell?

allsops

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
I have a 32GB Black iPhone 3GS that I got last year on launch day - June 19th. I've had it in a case almost 24/7 and have a screen protector on it that I put on it on launch day as well. I've got the box, earbuds (never used them), USB cable, manuals, charger etc. It will be hard to part with the box because I love my Apple boxes. :D

3 minutes & $2000.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
I know Rogers requires you have your phone for 24 months of a 36 month contract before you can upgrade. I've had my 3G iPhone for only 21 months and by the time the iPhone 4 is out it'll be 22 months. I'm really hoping I can get the new iPhone on launch day instead of having to wait 2 more months as my iPhone 3G is soooooooo screwed up.

HommePomme

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009

I sold the EXACT same thing last weekend for $500. Sold it within a day.

zp3dd4

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
So I'm kinda new to the iphone, but seeing the iphone 4 I figured it's time to upgrade my phone. I'm currently on prepaid, so I have no carrier preference, so I'm wondering which carrier should I choose?

Aleks192

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010

I currently have a CDMA phone and will need a sim card for the iPhone 4. Bell will force me off the $30 unlimited Data plan I currently have. I just have a bad feeling about it. I'm going to end up paying more for less. ($35 for 1GB).

The $30 unlimited data plan you are on then is the BB data plan (same as I have), and BB data and smartphone data are 2 different beasts. BB data is compressed data, so theres no trouble going unlimited, as its not much usage regardless. Regular data for the rest of the smartphone world is not as compressed, hence you still see alot of unlimited BB data plans, and that unlimited plans apply to BB only, and the rest is capped for higher usage.

I've had to switch my unlimited data a couple times in the last 3 years, even my PPC data wasn't applicable to the BB. You just simply cannot apply your BB unlimited plan to any other phone, you will be forced to change it because its just not the same thing.

Now, that being said how do you feel about using a GSM phone on Bell?? What happens when you are out of a 3g area? Or switch 3g off?? Does the phone not work?? I'll be going to Rogers for this fact alone, the legacy network stability....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.