Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
So on Saturday morning Im using my iBook and something familliar happened. The video cut out on me and then came back in a frozen state. Immediatly i thought to myself, damnit! there goes my logic board again. So I call Apple and immediatly they try and sell me Applecare wich I dont want and all i really need to do is find out what i need to do with my computer with a dead logic board for the seccond time. After getting put on hold for about 10 minutes, they tell me just to take it to an authorized service provider which im okay with.

So i take it in and my ASP tells me that im going to have to pay them $80 just to tell them that the logic board is faulty (which I already know) because ive had this problem already once and im having the exact same problem! This laptop is the biggest POS ive had. Every component on this machine has been replaced alteast once except for the logic board which is on its seccond one.

Is this horrible quality something i can expect from Apple? Because im honnestly not happy... BTW, my iPod is dead too..

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
rhpenguin said:
Is this horrible quality something i can expect from Apple? Because im honnestly not happy... BTW, my iPod is dead too..

I feel you...

I find that when Apple products go bad... they're REALLY bad.

To lighten your situation, my first PB G3 had numerous problems, including:

Screen hinge broke
Screen backlight burned out
CD drive broke (I dropped the comp)
Power plug in the computer CAME OUT
Sound card had to be replaced
HD had numerous directory problems, was replaced... twice

The cost to repair that thing was close to $1000 if not more... so don't feel so bad :D

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
the cost for the first logic board with labour to replace was $1300CAD.

could buy a new notebook for $500 more. If they try and shaft me and tell me its not covered under the logicboard replacement program, im going to raise hell. I realize that i do have the lowest end notebook produced at my time of purchase, but damnit.. basically one part every three months has failed on the damn thing.

Now my iPod is dead too. arghhhh!

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
rhpenguin said:
the cost for the first logic board with labour to replace was $1300CAD.

WTF???

You got shafted on that replacement...

Mine cost me $300 to replace the LB on my iBook 500 when the ethernet port died... I think you got taken...!

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
I didnt have to pay for the repair, Apple covered it because it was under the original warranty. But the invoice for the repair showed $1300. Ill scan the invoice when i get home.

But just a heads up, dont go to Mostly Digital in London Ontario. They do charge a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.