Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Hello,

My friend got the newest PB, a 12'', like a month ago. Well now when he adjusts the screen, the hinges make a horrible cringing sound, no matter what. Anyone have this problem or a fix for it?

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
my roomate has a 12" powerbook rev. A that does the same exact thing. When he contacted AppleCare, they said that lubricating it in any way would void the warranty coverage on the screen... hope that helps you somehow.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Okay, I let my friend in on that little peice of info but now he is faced with the question...What can he do about it? He has Applecare, but he is obviously within one year warranty. So what can he do? Will Apple take care of it if contacted?

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
My friend's Rev. B 12" PowerBook does the same thing, but because he has spilled several things such as Coke and beer on it.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
so the sound is "supposedly" normal (says Applecare)? I've noticed that my RevC 12" has started doing that "stuck" sound when I push back my screen for minor visual adjustments.

If it's normal, then I'm not concerned, but man, it scares me every time.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Oh yeah, my friend, whom I living with right now screams everytime he does it. It's really quite strange that it does that, as it did not when he got it. This is crazy that a lot of you have the same problem he does.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
If your not afraid to void the warrantee, or it's already out of warrantee, just put a little WD-40 on it, that should fix it right up.

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Huezo said:
My friend's Rev. B 12" PowerBook does the same thing, but because he has spilled several things such as Coke and beer on it.

Ouch... mine does it and it's only a few months old and it's been babied. No scratches, no drops and no spills. But still, that scary noise. It's sort of akin to the chalkboard/fingernail sound.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
old iBook did that

my old iBook did that for years, still does and have never had a problem with the screen or hinge, just sounds bad. My sounded more like it was too tight or something, maybe that's a different sound then what you have going.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
which screws? post pix pleze

i noticed the same thing-
mine hasn't left my desktop yet-
opened it up- placed it right on the ibreeze
then whenever i close the monitor...ccccrrrraaackk!

very scary

so- which screws should we loosen?
i'm totally used 2 tinkering w/ machines- but i've really only got experience w/ ibooks not PB's...

thanks

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
musicpyrite said:
If your not afraid to void the warrantee, or it's already out of warrantee, just put a little WD-40 on it, that should fix it right up.

God no please don't do that. That's a one-step route to disaster. If you want to take it apart and lubricate it, use a good quality grease (think of the yellow stuff that comes in small clear bags).
I don't see why you would however, as laptop screens tend to get looser with use, so it will probably wear off by itself and may even prolong the period before it starts to droop.

AppleMatt

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I think my 12" 1GHz is starting to show symptoms of creaking. For the first seven or so months, the hinge was smooth as butter. Now, it's showing more and more initial resistance to moving. No sounds yet, thankfully.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
AppleMatt said:
God no please don't do that. That's a one-step route to disaster. If you want to take it apart and lubricate it, use a good quality grease (think of the yellow stuff that comes in small clear bags).
I don't see why you would however, as laptop screens tend to get looser with use, so it will probably wear off by itself and may even prolong the period before it starts to droop.

AppleMatt

Hmmm, well thats what I use to make doors unsqueaky, but I guess it doesn't work for laptops. :D

Miner Willy

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Bradford, UK
squeaky, creaky screen

Ever thought it could be the heat the the pb's give off.. ;)

Ever thought that you need the friction between the hinges to keep the screen in the place it's supposed to be, it's a little creaky but it still works...

ooh i'm a bit grouchy this morning... :mad:

Marlon_JBT

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Detroit, Michigan
Mine started a few days after I started carrying it in my backpack (no case). I think the added stress from the books made it start. At first, I was a little angry, and now, I'm just used to it. Sounds terrible though. I will try the lubrication trick when I can to see if it helps... I'm also happy I'm not the only one. :D

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
My 17" did the same !

My 17" did the same (from new though) - sent it back and the replacement is smooth as silk.

If the new 20" G5 iMac had been out I would have got that instead though !

In all seriousness though - send it back - back it all up first though as Apple may well send you a different PB back (as they did with me).

Good luck

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
See, that's the thing about sending it back. Other than the noise, my PB is perfect. No dead or stuck pixels, no track pad problmes, no crooked lid when it closed. It's just outright perfect. It's it's just a noise that doesn't affect the performance, then I'll just deal with it.

Hey Davegoody, what was the turn around time on your new 17"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.