Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
A. The existing case config is excellent but dated. Time to change it radically.

B. In May a proto Mobo surfaced on Ebay for $200.00 and was yanked 30 minutes after I blew the whistle to Apple. Ask around for Images. FW2 was evident as were 4 DDR slots.

C. The Apollo G4 uses DDR in it's L3 Cache so it's likely we'll see it on the mobo soon.

D. Moto's G5 plant in Germany isn't finished yet so Apple has to work with hybridized G4's for the time being.

E. xServe (the only DDR Mac) is delayed until MWNY.

F. The Existing Bus/Processor ratio is maxed out so a faster bus is imminent.

G. Moto is outsourcing a certain ammount of it's CPU production.

H. Apple is doing ALL THEY CAN to close leaks, meaning something BIG is up.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
My point being:

That a lot of the flaming going on in Hardware and Article Discussion is simply ignorance to what we've learned so far. Plus all this wild supposition about USB2 and G5, particularly all the hooplah over what G5 actually means really gets old.

When you see all the info that's come to light recently laid out it makes guessing what we'll see at MWNY a cakewalk:

Faster G4 with Hybrid Bus architecture, faster than 133. A new Tower case. A speed bump for the iMac and Bluetooth built in. DDR in the desktop machines.

As much as I will get flamed for this: LET OS 9 DIE.

At some point supporting all that legacy code has to take a backseat to advancing the architecture.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Oh dear God lock up your daughters, I agree with mischief ;) Actually, I think that we are looking at something big. Real Big. Remember the remarks that Steve made in the shareholders meetings about having very nice processors coming, and futher iApps, and digital devices. This is the big show right before school. I think the following will appear.

Digital Device
Maybe a camera, not a picture frame. There is not a market for the picture frame. Sorry Eye, but a PDA would be friggin sweet. People can say what they want, but I bet we would all buy one of them. It is even more plausible with iChat support AIM. That would be nice on a PDA.

Systems.
iMacs to 1GHZ, 100$ price drop across the line except the entry which will drop to 1249.

G4's. New case. Firewire 2, 2GB DDR 266 or maybe 333. 1.0, 1.2, and dual 1.4's. X.2 only, no 9. Shiping 2nd week in August. 60, 80, and 120 GB drives.

iApps.
iMovie 3? iTunes 3? etc, etc. Some are getting a little long in the tooth. I would love to see the visuals in iTunes use the graphics card.

Hopefully ATA 133 in G4's, and DDR in all desktops.

Personally, all of that would be great with me. I would be happy, content, and especially if they killed the Classic iMac, and made a low end G3 version of the eMac for 799.00

Lets wait and see.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Personally, all of that would be great with me. I would be happy, content, and especially if they killed the Classic iMac, and made a low end G3 version of the eMac for 799.00

Lets wait and see.

That would be an interesting move, as it would leave the iBook as the only product in Apple's line-up still using a G3 chip.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Killing the Classic iMac is simply a matter of not selling them.

They're already DOA. They just haven't realized it yet.

iBook will do quite well if it's using a 750FX G3. The 750FX is the rough equivalent G3 to the G5. If it weren't for Altivec I'd actually prefer the 750FX with Rapid I/O and core-bridging than see any new POS from Moto.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
there's no doubt that something big IS coming. We've had a build up since Last fall with the introduction of the iPod.

You're all thinking too much about recent events...lets look to last year...iPod..its a big hit. Final Cut finally gets its due recognition and everyone is starting to "switch" to Final Cut from Avid.

Um, I just got the booty call, so I gotta go now...I'll be back in like 45 minutes to an hour :D

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Re: Okay, What we know from the last Year about MWNY 02

Originally posted by mischief
B. In May a proto Mobo surfaced on Ebay for $200.00 and was yanked 30 minutes after I blew the whistle to Apple. Ask around for Images. FW2 was evident as were 4 DDR slots.
You blew the whistle? You idiot! You should have bought it and taken pictures and experimented and.... ARGH.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by teabgs
there's no doubt that something big IS coming. We've had a build up since Last fall with the introduction of the iPod.

You're all thinking too much about recent events...lets look to last year...iPod..its a big hit. Final Cut finally gets its due recognition and everyone is starting to "switch" to Final Cut from Avid.

OK, here's the rest....sorry bout that....

OK, on top of the above, we get the new iMac...HUGE press. PLUS OSX gets rave reviews. Then we get the Dual 1GHZ which is big in the public eye of consumers... 1 GHZ.

GREAT reviews of every product. THen we get Xserve eMac, etc....you guys know the rest.

The build up is almost complete....at MWNY a huge piece of the puzzle will appear. And there will be more...oh yes...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Oh yeah... this is the fun bit. A week to go and it's really starting. Some of the most level-headed MR members are going crazy about amazing new things. I think you're just setting yourselves (and everyony else) up for a big let down, just like always.

Oh well, at least there aren't many G5 rumors going around. Thank god for that! :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll be very very happy if we see anything more than 1.2GHz PowerMacs. I'm also expecting a release date to be set for Jaguar - probably mid-August, along with the PowerMacs. I'm also expecting some other announcements... software updates and the like.

I'll be over the moon if we see anything over 1.2 GHz or any other hardware updated. I'll pass out with excitement if we see a new digital device.

I'm not getting as hyped about this one as I did about the last. If you expect too much, you can only be let down.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Beej

I'm not getting as hyped about this one as I did about the last. If you expect too much, you can only be let down.

truer words have never been spoken.

I dont expect as much as I did at MWSF...BUT I expect BIG things....see, it makes sense.... It doesnt matter though cause I dont expect any SPECIFIC thing, whereas before I was hoping for the G5 and then we didnt even get a powermac update:confused:

So I do expect cool stuff. pther then new towers, im not sure what else...

PS. BEEJ....I missed you :p

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
PS. BEEJ....I missed you :p
*slap, slap*

Don't give me that crap.

:eek: ;) :D ;)

I hear what you're saying about expecting big things. Makes sense, but I'm going to stick with not expecting much.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
*slap, slap*

Don't give me that crap.

:eek: ;) :D ;)

I hear what you're saying about expecting big things. Makes sense, but I'm going to stick with not expecting much.

What's with 2 slaps? One I was expecting, but 2?!?!
:rolleyes:

I wish I could not expect big things, but I cant help it. I'm a dreamer! and I want my fast as **** G4!!! :D

I like the new Tar BTW ;)

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Oh great. We start getting our hopes up and Cnet just has to go and burst our bubble. :rolleyes: :D

I sure hope there is at least another Power Mac revision sometime this year. I don't care if it is in July or August. Just something! Argg....

hitman

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by hitman
Oh great. We start getting our hopes up and Cnet just has to go and burst our bubble. :rolleyes: :D

I sure hope there is at least another Power Mac revision sometime this year. I don't care if it is in July or August. Just something! Argg....

hitman

dont listen to Cnet. Theyre full of it! There will be a PowerMac revision. Its imminent if Apple would like to sell any computers.

Everyone needs to chill out and think a bit before beign irrational. I understand its one week away, and Im as excited as the next, but seriously....no new PowerMacs....that went over real well last time

:rolleyes:

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
The new rebates, along with the possible release date of Jaguar do suggest that the new towers will be released after this coming MacWorld, perhaps sometime in August. It may have to do with the fact that the new towers may steal the thunder of any iMac revision.

Well, I won't have enough money to even consider buying the baseline tower ($1599) until late January, so I might as well wait until MWSF. :rolleyes:

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
What's with 2 slaps? One I was expecting, but 2?!?!
You deserved more, but I'm in a good mood :)

I like the new Tar BTW ;)
OK, I take back both slaps! :D

There will be a PowerMac revision. Its imminent if Apple would like to sell any computers.
LOL! Well put.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
You deserved more, but I'm in a good mood :)

Whatever man, you were asking for more then I dished out! :p

I coulda been all like

"Yo Beej! Where have you been. I've missed you soooooo much. I was going crazy waiting for you to get back. I'm so incredibly happy you're back!"

:eek: :D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I agree that they are iminant, but damn, bring it already. The reason the current ones aren't selling is because we want more. Why can't they get that!

Can you imagine the looks on our faces if there aren't any... :( :eek: :confused: :mad:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I want to hope for great announcements...and most of the news points that way...

We've had product refreshes/intros already that Apple could have sat on if they needed to (Xserve, eMac, Powerbook)...seems to point to something else taking center stage.

PowerMacs obviously need an update, that's a given.

OS X "Jaguar" will probably be introduced to the public, plus a release date and pricing scheme.

iBooks and iMacs could use a refresh as well.

I'm really hoping for some changes to take place in the display area as well...drop 15", add 19", lower prices all around.

PS. tea-boy, 8 days?!?!?! What planet are you on?!?!?!? [size=huge]6 days!!![/size]

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Rower....

Sorry, I thought the same as you...

but this is from Apple....

Keynote
Wednesday, July 17
9:00 am - 10:30 am

Steve Jobs, CEO, Apple
Kick off opening day of the exhibit floor with Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, who will deliver another groundbreaking keynote presentation in the heart of the Big Apple. Don't miss your chance to discover what's hot, what's new and what's next for the Mac community. The opening keynote has a long-standing tradition of setting the pace for the future of the Mac platform, and this one will be no exception.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Rower....

Originally posted by MacAztec
Sorry, I thought the same as you...

but this is from Apple....

Keynote
Wednesday, July 17
9:00 am - 10:30 am

Steve Jobs, CEO, Apple
Kick off opening day of the exhibit floor with Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, who will deliver another groundbreaking keynote presentation in the heart of the Big Apple. Don't miss your chance to discover what's hot, what's new and what's next for the Mac community. The opening keynote has a long-standing tradition of setting the pace for the future of the Mac platform, and this one will be no exception.

Since when does the Expo start on Wednesday!?!?!? How the HELL did I miss that?!?!?!?

Thanks for the info!

See what happens when you make an assumption...:rolleyes:

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

PS. tea-boy, 8 days?!?!?! What planet are you on?!?!?!? [size=huge]6 days!!![/size]

im trying to keep the count as correct as possible changing it every day as close to 12am EST as posssible. It's at 1 week now...cause the keynote is in one week and 50 minutes to be exact....;)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Re: Okay, What we know from the last Year about MWNY 02

Originally posted by DavPeanut

You blew the whistle? You idiot! You should have bought it and taken pictures and experimented and.... ARGH.

Yeah, good idea. Buy stolen property in a public manner so there's no question who's in possession of it when the police come a knockin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.