Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coconutsport

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I currently have a 32 GB 3Gs. Honestly if it wasn't for the 14 movies I have on it, I would barely top out 5 GB. I'm thinking since I have a 32 GB iPad, I should be okay. If I want to watch movies portable, I'll bring my iPad. It's easier on the eyes than watching on an iPhone, especially when you're riding in the back of the car and the road is bumping that little screen up and down. Am I crazy for thinking this way? Economy is bad, money's tight... 16GB is all the wife will allow me right now... what do you think?

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
I currently have a 32 GB 3Gs. Honestly if it wasn't for the 14 movies I have on it, I would barely top out 5 GB. I'm thinking since I have a 32 GB iPad, I should be okay. If I want to watch movies portable, I'll bring my iPad. It's easier on the eyes than watching on an iPhone, especially when you're riding in the back of the car and the road is bumping that little screen up and down. Am I crazy for thinking this way? Economy is bad, money's tight... 16GB is all the wife will allow me right now... what do you think?

i use 16gb...probably 5 gigs of music and the rest is empty....i dont use an ipod for anything but the gym, and to me this is still primarily a phone.

All depends on how you plan to use it.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

How many pictures and videos do you record with your iPhone. The biggest new issue is the 720p HD video recording capabilities and the 5 megapixel camera. Each image or video you record will eat more space.

However, if Apple every implements a cloud based iTunes (which I think we will see around September, just a personal guess) then you will save yourself a lot of space.

I'm going for the 32 just in case and because selling my 3GS will cover it. :)

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I think it's pretty obvious from your initial post that 16GB is more than sufficient. Don't get drawn into the game of getting the biggest and baddest thing out there if it's more than you need. I'll be getting the 16GB myself because $100 is $100. :)

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
If you don't even use more than 5GB on the other device, and money is tight, then go with the 16GB.

I am a firm believer in the biggest and baddest because I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I was originally planning to get the 16GB but after thinking I'll be taking much more video with the iPhone 4 (all at 720p) I opted for the 32GB. But that is the only reason. I only have 5GB of music and not a whole ton of apps. Hopefully you figure it out soon.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I was sold on 32GB at 1st, but after realizing that I'm using less than a GB on my current 16GB 3GS I'll go with another 16GB. I have an iPod Classic so I do not keep any music on my iPod. Don't have many apps at all so my space will be plenty for pics and vids(rarely will use this feature to be honest).

Coconutsport

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I have a Flip Video and it can record a two hours 720p HD in 2G of memory.

Hope that answer your question.

So 16 hours maximum. Well dang.. realistically 8 hours of video is pretty insane. I'd hope that at some point you'd think to copy it over somewhere.

Couple that with Netflix, cloud data storage (where Apple seems to be going with their NC facility) and it seems that a 64 GB iPhone may never materialize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.