Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEET

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Guernsey, Channel Islands
I am the proud owner of a 15 '' G4 Powerbook, and am loving every second of it's speedy, sleek and smooth performance. However there is on thing that I'm a little nervous about.
I've had the computer for about two months now and over the last week or so I have started to feel slight tingling feeling through my finger when using the touchpad. It's not that I'm really getting a shock or anything, but I can feel something. Is this normal? Is it going to get worse and blow me up? or is this just my computer trying to turn me on? Has anyone else felt this connection between themselves and there machine?

I look foward to some reassurance.

Beet.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
There have been reports of PowerBooks shocking their users, but I don't know weather through the touchpad or just by touching the computer.

I'd give Apple Care a call right away, this could be pretty serous for you and your computer.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it's most likely a loosely grounded power supply or something to that effect.

i'd bet that you only get the tingle when your powerbook is plugged into the wall, since only then, the powerbook is grounded.

if it's floating (off the wall sockets), you shouldn't feel the tingle, unless you are grounded yourself through some other means.

anyway, take your power supply, cables and the powerbook to an apple service place as soon as possible, as musicpyrate suggested.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Wow - I'm jealous. I don't get that kind of vibe from MY PowerBook. When you find out what makes it do this, let me know, so I can rig mine up the same way. :D

Seriously - it sounds like a call to AppleCare or a visit to your retailer is in order.

Merf

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Northern California
Well what is the trackpad made out of? I thought it was plastic of some sort. At least I think I don't really know I have had a 5300ce and a G3 wallstreet I always thought they were plastic at least the part where your finger touches. And I have always thought that plastic doesn't conduct electicity. Oh well you guys will most likely know and tell me.

Merf

numark

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Touchpads generally work by detecting the slight electrical current in your skin. It's so small that it doesn't normally bother you, but it works wonders for computer pointing devices.

Maxicek

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Had the same problem on mine. No shocks on batteries, only when it was plugged in the wall. I found on another thread that the mains plug that integrates directly to the transformer has no earth (I am in the UK) but the one with the the long mains lead does. Swapped leads, problem gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.