Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
im hoping someone can help me out with this problem i am having. i have a 12inch pbook rev A and theres something wrong with the battery or battery meter. When the pbook is fully charged the meter will drop down at a normal rate to around 55 % and then the computer will just shut off as if the battery is dead. If i then plug it in to charge it it says that the battery is at 0 %. i am only getting somewhere around an hour until the meter drops down to around 55% and shuts off.
anyone have any help to offer me? please.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
evil said:
im hoping someone can help me out with this problem i am having. i have a 12inch pbook rev A and theres something wrong with the battery or battery meter. When the pbook is fully charged the meter will drop down at a normal rate to around 55 % and then the computer will just shut off as if the battery is dead. If i then plug it in to charge it it says that the battery is at 0 %. i am only getting somewhere around an hour until the meter drops down to around 55% and shuts off.
anyone have any help to offer me? please.

I had this problem with an older iBook... just get a new battery.

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
vraxtus said:
I had this problem with an older iBook... just get a new battery.

why do you think its a battery problem? i checked my battery capacity in terminal and it was fine. id like to be pretty sure its the battery before i go out and buy a new one.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Have you tried resetting the PMU? I'm not exactly sure what this does, but it seems people do this when they're having battery problems.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
evil said:
why do you think its a battery problem? i checked my battery capacity in terminal and it was fine. id like to be pretty sure its the battery before i go out and buy a new one.

Well, I'll ask this first... how old is your battery? The old Wallstreet batteries died out in about 2 years... COMPLETELY. So with a Rev A I'd almost 100% guarantee it's the battery.

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
well, it just died at 30 %. darn.
any other suggestions anyone? i really dont want to have to buy a new battery..especially if that wont even fix teh problem.
i really cant even afford to buy a new battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.