Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeoXY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hi all

My woe started after the 10.5.3 update, Mail would crash basically every step of the way and I can't get my...well mail. Despite efforts to fix it, no luck. So, I know I can reinstall the entire app from scratch with my Leopard disk. My question is, how do I completely and utterly remove any traces of Maill.app on my computer...err?

I don't care about preferences, e-mails, none of it. I just want the app gone.

Can anyone help?

Thanks alot
Neo

NeoXY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Used Appzapper, and I still have all my old e-mails and account preferences intact

Anyone else can help? Aren't there physical files in folders I can delete to get rid of it completely?

NeXTLoop

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Used Appzapper, and I still have all my old e-mails and account preferences intact

Anyone else can help? Aren't there physical files in folders I can delete to get rid of it completely?

Just got to Home > Library > Preferences and delete the file "com.apple.mail.plist".

Then go to Home > Library and delete the folder called "Mail". That should get rid of the last traces.

NeoXY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Yeah, don't do it. Mail is not the cause of your problems. Removing it will not cure your problems, but it may cause other problems down the line.

...alright, so what should I do instead?

papasmurph

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
My preferred email client is Thunderbird which I use for all my accounts. I would just leave Mail alone and ignore it but every time I start my Mac it pops up wanting me to create an account... can anyone tell me:

a) a good reason not to uninstall Mail.
b) why Mail keeps annoying me on startup.
c) how long port 25 has been custom for SMTP :p

Wheelz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
Wanganui, New Zealand
My preferred email client is Thunderbird which I use for all my accounts. I would just leave Mail alone and ignore it but every time I start my Mac it pops up wanting me to create an account... can anyone tell me:

a) a good reason not to uninstall Mail.
b) why Mail keeps annoying me on startup.

I'm exactly the same. Have been a TBird user for years even before I switched to Mac but Mail keeps popping up and trying to download all the scrillions of emails on the server. Annoys the hell out of me. I tried dragging it to Trash but didn't work.

What downstream effects could there be for uninstalling it?

marauder4050

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Get rid of mail app popping up

The quickest as harmless way to get it of mail popping up is to compress it. Just right click and select compress. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.