Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadav

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
So I turned on my mac today and opened iTunes which was completely empty... All of my music and playlists were deleted. Luckily, I just bought a backup machine a couple of days ago, and have backed up before this incidence, and I'm wondering how can I restore my library so it was just like it was two days ago. I have read some fixes where it restores the music, but I want to make sure that it also restores the plays and playlists and all the other statistics about my music. Any help would be nice!

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
So I turned on my mac today and opened iTunes which was completely empty... All of my music and playlists were deleted. Luckily, I just bought a backup machine a couple of days ago, and have backed up before this incidence, and I'm wondering how can I restore my library so it was just like it was two days ago. I have read some fixes where it restores the music, but I want to make sure that it also restores the plays and playlists and all the other statistics about my music. Any help would be nice!

As long as the music is still physically on the drive you can just restore from a backup your:

iTunes Library.itdb
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
and iTunes Library Genius.itdb

to ~/Music/iTunes

Nadav

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
I only see iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb, does this mean all of my music was not backed up?

gheat93

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
San Francisco
I only see iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb, does this mean all of my music was not backed up?

I think he meant on your original machine. Those files will contain all the playlist and play count data.
If those files are bad, iTunes backs up the library every now and again in the "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder (found in ~/Music/iTunes).
How did you back up exactly? The files should be present on your backup too...

Just out of interest, do you have any idea how this could have happened? a couple of friends of mine also seem to have inexplicably lost all their music, and understandably I would like to avoid this consequence by all means...

Nadav

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Oh, well the last previous iTunes library is from yesterday, which is after my library got deleted. The one before that is from May 1st, and I have added a lot of music since then. Is there no way of restoring it from time machine with the library I had just two days ago?

gheat93

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
San Francisco
Oh, well the last previous iTunes library is from yesterday, which is after my library got deleted. The one before that is from May 1st, and I have added a lot of music since then. Is there no way of restoring it from time machine with the library I had just two days ago?

Try copying the latest library from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder into /Music/iTunes. If you have Time Machine backups, you can copy the iTunes Library file in /Music/iTunes from the back up into the same present location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.