Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Have a problem, trying to figure out what's going on...

A little over a week ago I got my 3G. The day after I got it I signed up for the unlimited data plan without any hassles, got my confirmation email, etc. Just to test it out to make sure it was working I turned off the WiFi on the iPad and used the 3G to surf around the web a bit, everything was perfect.

Well since I am mostly at home (WiFi network) I turned off the 3G and have been using the iPad exclusively on WiFi for about a week.

Then yesterday I had to run some errands across town. Got on the metro, pulled out the iPad, turned on the 3G and... "no service." Figured maybe it was something to do with all the metal of the subway train, so waited til I arrived at my destination, got outside, sat down on a park bench... "no service." Went to 3 or 4 places all around Washington DC and its near suburbs, everywhere "no service."

Finally got back home, and even at home (where it had worked perfectly fine a week ago)... "no service." Getting the same message today.

I'm trying to figure out if it's an AT&T issue (doubtful, unless the entire greater Washington metro area has had its 3G network down for over 24 hours now...highly unlikely), a hardware issue (could some component in the iPad critical for the 3G somehow have broken?) or whether there is some setting that I am just missing.

So to start with the latter, is there anything I need to be doing in the Settings besides simply turning on the "Settings --> Cellular Data" to "On"? I can hit the "Settings --> View Account" and log in correctly, everything seems fine there. Not really sure what "APN settings" is for, I assume just use my AT&T iPad login & password, yes?

I'm perplexed. Help!

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Mine says no service when I turn it back on, though as soon as I try and load something it gets a signal, just another bug
Waiting for that update apple...

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Mine says no service when I turn it back on, though as soon as I try and load something it gets a signal, just another bug

Sadly that's not the case with me...when I try to get to the web I can a "no internet connection" error message. :(

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Try doing a hard reset, hold both the home and sleep buttons down at the same time
If that doesn't work then try restoring
If it still doesn't work go to the genius bar

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Try doing a hard reset, hold both the home and sleep buttons down at the same time
If that doesn't work then try restoring
If it still doesn't work go to the genius bar

Wow, well I feel like an idiot. Did the hard reset and everything is back to working fine.

Really embarrassed I didn't think of something as simple as that myself. :eek: Thanks for the help.

robinfish

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010

It's the iPad bug originally and I thought it's the reason of my network. I usually switches the edge when there is "no server".

ikm19

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Texas
I am too getting no service I did try reseting the network settings and calling the att customer care number but still it didn't worked out.
They gave me a case number and said everything is fine at their end but they will still look out what's wrong.

Any suggestions ?

ikm19

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Texas
I am at work and still i am getting no service...
I was able to get service when i was on freeway but when i stop some place the network goes away.
kind of weird but i dont know how i explain the problem to tech department.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It's funny just seeing this bug. Yesterday I had wifi off and the "no service" thing. Ok? but you know what? It still loaded webpages. After a while it changed and showed "No service" and the 3G icon next to it LOL.

I made a screenshot, I will post it here later!

sturph

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
no service

did hard restart, reset no luck
turned on airplane mode then off twice fixed problem

poundhound

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Resurrecting an old thread here, but I have the same problem.

Ipad 1st generation has lost its 3G connection for no apparent reason.

Ive tried all the suggestions above but to no avail.

Ive restored my device and replaced the cellular carriers sim, again to no avail.

Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.