Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I wonder if this will work? Is there no refresh issue with the Air Display app?What will be the limitations of this setup compared to using a true display?

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I wonder if this will work? Is there no refresh issue with the Air Display app?What will be the limitations of this setup compared to using a true display?

Anything which is constantly updating (Flash, video) gets a little bit laggy and choppy.

kevhui

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2008
OP, do you mean you want to save the monitor? You cannot do that as you need it to install Air Display

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Of course you'll need a primary monitor for the initial setting up, right? But after just that first set-up, will you be fine without the primary monitor from then on out? Or do you need it for every setup?

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Just to offer an opinion, wouldn't the cheapest Macbook Pro (by itself, without mini, without iPad) fit your bill?

MBP also has a 10-hr battery life...

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Apart from the 'because I can' reason why not just buy an LCD monitor for much less than the iPad?

I can see why someone would want the setup described by the OP: use a Mac with the iPad as the display when you need it, grab the iPad and go when you don't need the Mac. Kinda like that mockup of someone "docking" an iPad into a MBP keyboard, turning it into a Mac, which re-becomes an iPad when you undock. :p

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
That is about as good of an idea as using duct tape to strap on empty 2 liter bottles to your feet to act as 'cushions' rather than buying new shoes.

GO FOR IT

Reactions: R2FX

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I can see why someone would want the setup described by the OP: use a Mac with the iPad as the display when you need it, grab the iPad and go when you don't need the Mac. Kinda like that mockup of someone "docking" an iPad into a MBP keyboard, turning it into a Mac, which re-becomes an iPad when you undock. :p

I do this now. I use: Desktop Connect. There is a VNC like client you can install on the Mini (like I have done), and you can use Gmail so your iPad can find your computer no matter where you are, over 3G or wifi. Been using this since I first got the iPad. It works well and is pretty inexpensive considering.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I plan on doing the same. A headless Mini controled By iPad with LogMeIn. I am only using the Mini for music server so I don't need everything else. I want to find a smoother app than LogMeIn. Is Air Displaybetter?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I plan on doing the same. A headless Mini controled By iPad with LogMeIn. I am only using the Mini for music server so I don't need everything else. I want to find a smoother app than LogMeIn. Is Air Displaybetter?

AirDisplay is not designed with tablet specific features. For example, if you want to type, you cannot use the built in keyboard on the iPad, you will have to use a BT, USB or OS X built in keyboard. Also, AirDisplay is slow. I use it on both an AdHoc and 802.11 N 5 GHz environment, so I doubt its my connection.

It great on things like Photoshop and Cinema 4D as a place to put controls; but it really breaks down on video where it runs at 5-10 fps, if that.

AnotherScott

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2006

Exactly! And even if you keep a "real" monitor at your main location, for ipad owners who need to carry their mac between locations but don't need to run it on battery, a Mac Mini is cheaper, lighter, more compact, and more capable than a Macbook.

As a musician, I would also use something like this for gigs. Opened laptops in live performance can be precarious and awkward, and there's no need for battery power. I like the idea of a Mac Mini running something like Mainstage tucked away safely, being controlled by the ipad touchscreen at my fingertips during performance.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
When/if Apple adds the same or equivalent touch gestures to OSX and a means of having a third-party app input them. And a "giant size" iPad.

I really like Airdisplay. It's really great for showing somebody else what is on your screen without having them have to lean over your shoulder. Push a window over to the AirDisplay, ask them "what do you think of that". Great, for example, for a developer working with a designer. (A referee would also be great, but I digress...)

But it's pretty awkward working a web browser with it. And many desktop applications are MORE than awkward. Applications need to be re-written from scratch for touch.

And, to digress again, not sure how much I agree with the trend to try to make iPad browsers more "desktop-like". I'm already disliking tabs to some degree, because it's to easy to accidentally touch some link at the top of the web page rather than the tab. App authors need to carefully think of the proximity of their controls to other controls or content.

badboyprod

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
France
I am asking the same question:

Initial config:

- TV LCD in the Living Room
- iMac 20" in the room
- iPad for dealy use, web browsing...

Finally, I am not using the iMac anymore except for rare exception as my account management, or iPhoto management, or Vuze for tv show.

Today I want to set the following config:

- TV LCD in the living Room
- Mac Mini server in the living Room plug to the TV(Web server, and computer)
- NAS Server or Time Capsule (backup and storage for iTunes music, iPhoto, and vids)
- iPad for dealy use, web browsing...AND AS EXTERNAL MONITOR FOR MAC MINI for light use (account management, or iPhoto management, or Vuze for tv show.)

Do you think that I can user the iPad for this last case? If my wife is watching the TV and me I would like to use the Mac Mini for account management, will I be able to use the iPad as main screen?

Thanks for your help

Knot ewe

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
remote controlling computer via ipad is an awesome feature

I have a mac mini hooked up to my Home theater and use VNC Viewer on the iPad to control the mini and so far it works great. Mocha VNC has a free lite version for anyone interested in testing the concept, it isn't great but it works. I like VNC viewer but I am sure the other quality VNC apps work just as well. I rearely use the mini except for media anymore now that I have the iPad, but now using the ipad with VNC I can use the mini with out interupting my girlfriend when one of her shows is on. Extremely handy for managing my network, updates, printing, etc. I also use logmein for my work PC which also works great, and i am planning on adding my mini to my account for when I am traveling. (not sure how a VNC would do over the internet vs. on my home network, any input on that?)

badboyprod

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
France
I have a mac mini hooked up to my Home theater and use VNC Viewer on the iPad to control the mini and so far it works great. Mocha VNC has a free lite version for anyone interested in testing the concept, it isn't great but it works. I like VNC viewer but I am sure the other quality VNC apps work just as well. I rearely use the mini except for media anymore now that I have the iPad, but now using the ipad with VNC I can use the mini with out interupting my girlfriend when one of her shows is on. Extremely handy for managing my network, updates, printing, etc. I also use logmein for my work PC which also works great, and i am planning on adding my mini to my account for when I am traveling. (not sure how a VNC would do over the internet vs. on my home network, any input on that?)

Thanks for your feedback. I am selling my iMac and buying a new macmini today. I will set the same solution. However I don't know if there is lots of differences between various VNC client such as VNC Viewer, iTeleport or Desktop connect.. Any information?

badboyprod

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
France
Sooo which is the best?

Logmein, iteleport, mocha etc... ?????

Since yesterday I am trying VNC. Honestly this is super fast. However, it seems not possible to use all the advantage of multitouch to control the Mac Mini. iTeleport seems to be the best. But it's 4 times the price of VNC...

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
That is about as good of an idea as using duct tape to strap on empty 2 liter bottles to your feet to act as 'cushions' rather than buying new shoes.

GO FOR IT

two_liter_shoes.jpg

Now.....where did I stash my mini??????

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Since yesterday I am trying VNC. Honestly this is super fast. However, it seems not possible to use all the advantage of multitouch to control the Mac Mini. iTeleport seems to be the best. But it's 4 times the price of VNC...

I use Mocha VNC but am not real happy with it.

badboyprod

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
France
I have set everything so far and it's working quite weel.

However, thru VNC viewer, I can't get the mouvement of the mouse from the Mac Mini on my screen. I can move the mouse from the iPad to the Mac Mini but not from the Mac Mini to the iPad. Is there a solution to this problem?
Once my iPad is connected with VNC, i want to be able to use it as a screen only. So I still want to use my keyboard and mouse.

Do you have any idea?

Knot ewe

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
Sorry that didn't work out for you. You didn't say you wanted to use the keyboard and mouse for input, sounds like air display may have been better for you(assuming you can mirror with air display). I love not having to pull out my wireless desktop set up and using the iPad as a 9.7 inch trackpad. You still should be able to use the KB with VNC Viewer and use the iPad for the mouse. The main appeal for this setup to me is not having to deal with extra stuff, just grab the iPad and git er done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.