Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I've had my iPad since launch and the Apple case was sold out! So I settled for the little incase sleeve with the crappy stand. Well the stand popped yesterday and I can't really hold over anymore.

However, I goto the online Apple store and the case ships in 3-4 weeks? Ok, so I call an Apple store and they aren't accepting phone calls. My nearest one is like 2 hours away since im at school and i've been on the fence about going home, but if the availability in store is different I will definitely go home.

So my question for anyone who is a regular at Apple stores or has been there recently, did it seem that they were plentiful?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I bought the iPad the second week it was released.
I still have not seen an Apple iPad case out in the wild.
I have checked numerous Best Buy and my local Apple Store and no go.
Plenty of crappy Belkin "sleeves" but no case.
I ended up picking up a nice folio case on Amazon.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I bought my iPad on launch day at 9pm in the Boston store, and they had tons of the Apple cases, so I took one of those as well.

dcsatt

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
I've had my iPad since launch and the Apple case was sold out! So I settled for the little incase sleeve with the crappy stand. Well the stand popped yesterday and I can't really hold over anymore.

However, I goto the online Apple store and the case ships in 3-4 weeks? Ok, so I call an Apple store and they aren't accepting phone calls. My nearest one is like 2 hours away since im at school and i've been on the fence about going home, but if the availability in store is different I will definitely go home.

So my question for anyone who is a regular at Apple stores or has been there recently, did it seem that they were plentiful?

I have an extra used Apple iPad case if you're interested (with original box). It was on the family iPad, so it has a scuff or two. If you're interested, PM me with an offer, and I'll send pics.

I use the Apple case on my work iPad and I love it. Still haven't found anything better.

itchystiches

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
UK
There's no issues with the cases in the UK. Know this probably isn't much use to you but I walked in the day after launch day and picked up 2 of them. There were plenty more left on the shelves so I guess there's no supply issues at least.

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
There's no issues with the cases in the UK. Know this probably isn't much use to you but I walked in the day after launch day and picked up 2 of them. There were plenty more left on the shelves so I guess there's no supply issues at least.

Actually around me, after the bank holiday of the ipad launch, on Tuesdays, they were sold out of ipads and official iPad cases. Around the north west anyways.

Had loads if that other random one, the incase faux leather one.

itchystiches

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
UK
Fully stocked in the Manchester store. Plus I picked my iPad up on launch day at 5:30pm at the local curry's. Don't really know what gives but I hope the trend continues for the iPhone.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Yea another vote for the apple case. Picked it up on wifi launch. No problems :). My only issue is it gets dirty very easily.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I have an extra used Apple iPad case if you're interested (with original box). It was on the family iPad, so it has a scuff or two. If you're interested, PM me with an offer, and I'll send pics.

I use the Apple case on my work iPad and I love it. Still haven't found anything better.

I so want it.

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
The one I ordered near the end of May for my wife's iPad just shipped yesterday after a 3 week wait. The camera kit that was ordered with it is still MIA.

When I pre-ordered my 3G, I had the keyboard dock and case by the 3rd of April. Then they sat there mocking me until the ipad finally arrived ont he 30th.

I read the initial reviews on the Apple case and pretty much agree it isn't the nicest thing, but it is the best fitting and slimmest case overall. It also seems to hold up pretty well too.

itchystiches

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
UK
It is actually a really worthwhile accessory. Although I'm a little sceptical of paying 30 quid for a case, especially considering you've probably just forked over at least the better half of 500 quid for the iPad, it does make it much more useable.

Without it I found the iPad to be a slippery mess. It was impractical for typing on whilst recling, I was always having to be careful what surfaces I lay it down on, and generally felt like porcelain.

With it I can just chuck it in my bag and not worry too much about scratches and it actually stays put on my leg, or whatever else it's perched on really.

Admiditdly it feels like it was made in an arts and crafts meeting but...

Moxofien

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Alaska
Finally found one today at best buy, had my iPad since 05/26 and have had another case on order from apple since 05/22.

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
It's luck of the draw. Two weeks ago I was at the Valley Fair store in Santa clara, CA and there were quite a few of the cases (purchased one myself) - but I have to say - they were flying off the shelf in the 10 minutes I was in the store! The guy at the store told me that they had just come in that day and would likely be gone the next day.

And then I asked him about the camera connection kit - and he laughed at me :( Well not really, but he said he hadn't seen one of those in the store in WEEKS - even Apple's site says 4 - 6 weeks to ship :eek::(

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Get one. I love it.

I got it on day 1 with the iPad and it might not be as cool as the Vaja holster I have on my Touch but it does what it says on the tin and I actually like the feel of it.

An excellent design and for the price of £30 good value in my opinion.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
put a little plastic protectant on the case, works wonders to keep it clean and refreshed, lightly mind you. from my car detailing days, I use something called 303 protectant, but armorall and others may work, use just a little.
makes the case slightly slicker, but still grippy and much less prone to marks, dirt, and scratches.
did I say use very sparingly!, less is more.
I agree, few other cases can match the protection, and slimness of the Apple one, and I've tried 5 or 6 others.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I got my case in over 4 weeks after I ordered it online. I really like the case, and it's true: the case gets dirty rather quickly, but I have been able to just brush it off, and it's good to go.

Jude

mrcc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
The case is the best. Yes it gets dirty fast. But it's the best looking case

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
put a little plastic protectant on the case, works wonders to keep it clean ... I use something called 303 protectant, but armorall and others may work ... makes the case slightly slicker, but still grippy and much less prone to marks, dirt, and scratches.

I was recently persuaded to sell my Portenzo (loved it, but couldn't live without a typing position), and needed a stop-gap case in a hurry. So I called in to the local Apple Store and bought another Apple case. I immediately remembered what I hated about — straight out of the box it was covered in dust, dirt and scratches. But a short Googling later and I found the Armorall tip. I had some in the back of a cupboard and tried it. It REALLY works. Not only does it clean the case, but it gives it an invisible barrier that stops the crud re-accumulating. If you've got an Apple case, and this aspect of it drives you nuts, there's your answer.

PS: I also remembered what I love about the Apple case. The basic design is still the best all-rounder for practicality, and the typing postion is perfect.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I was recently persuaded to sell my Portenzo (loved it, but couldn't live without a typing position), and needed a stop-gap case in a hurry. So I called in to the local Apple Store and bought another Apple case. I immediately remembered what I hated about — straight out of the box it was covered in dust, dirt and scratches. But a short Googling later and I found the Armorall tip. I had some in the back of a cupboard and tried it. It REALLY works. Not only does it clean the case, but it gives it an invisible barrier that stops the crud re-accumulating. If you've got an Apple case, and this aspect of it drives you nuts, there's your answer.

PS: I also remembered what I love about the Apple case. The basic design is still the best all-rounder for practicality, and the typing postion is perfect.

Thanks for that tip..I'm definitely going to try it out. The benefits of the case out weigh the cons (really the only con is that it gets dirty so quickly). It doesn't add bulk to the iPad and the typing position is perfect. So is the position for watching videos.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
It is actually a really worthwhile accessory. Although I'm a little sceptical of paying 30 quid for a case, especially considering you've probably just forked over at least the better half of 500 quid for the iPad, it does make it much more useable.

Without it I found the iPad to be a slippery mess. It was impractical for typing on whilst recling, I was always having to be careful what surfaces I lay it down on, and generally felt like porcelain.

With it I can just chuck it in my bag and not worry too much about scratches and it actually stays put on my leg, or whatever else it's perched on really.

Admiditdly it feels like it was made in an arts and crafts meeting but...

+1 to everything you said.

I hate my iPad when not in it's Apple case. It is a totally ESSENTIAL part of the product in my opinion.

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
I must say Apple iPad case is the BEST folio style case. Not only it is functional, it is slim, lightweight and durable. The case preserves the contour of the iPad thus minimizing extra bulk around the iPad, especially the convex curvature of the back. While third-party folio cases may look nice, they simply make the back flat at the vertex (where the Apple Logo is) spontaneously adding unnecessary thickness to iPad especially at the edges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.