Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
I know, I know, neither of them are out yet, but this is a rumor and speculation site. Hence the name Mac Rumors. Anyway, here are the specs. Add as you wish.

• The Nintendo 3DS has two screens; the top screen is a 3.53-inch 3D screen with a resolution of 800x240 pixels (400x240 pixels per eye) that is able to produce a stereoscopic three-dimensional effect without 3D glasses, while the bottom screen is a 3.02-inch non-3D touch panel with a resolution of 320x240 pixels. The 3DS weighs approximately 8 oz. and, when closed, is 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, and 0.8 inches tall.
  • The Apple iPhone 4 has one screen with a resolution of 960x640 pixels (326 ppi) that is able to produce text and images that are so smooth that individual pixels cannot be seen by the human eye at normal distances for usage. The iPhone 4 weighs approximately 4.8 oz. and is 2.31 inches wide, 4.5 inches long, and .37 inches tall.

Winner: Apple iPhone 4.

The iPhone has a higher resolution screen, and it's covered in extremely durable helicopter-windshield-like glass on both sides. Personally I think 3D is a gimmick and I've heard that many people get nauseous after using it for extended periods, which is exactly why they've put a slider on the 3DS (see below), because you'll probably be turning it down/off after a while. I love the premise, but I think it will be underdeveloped by 3rd parties, like everything else Nintendo makes. All of Nintendo's 1st party stuff will rock per usual. The 3DS is much more portable than its predecessor, but it's almost twice as heavy as the iPhone 4.

• The 3DS features several additions to the design of the original DS, including a slider on the side of the device that adjusts the intensity of the 3D effect, a round nub analog input called the "Slide Pad", an accelerometer, and a gyroscope. It has two cameras on the outside of the device, capable of taking 3D photos, as well as a camera positioned above the top screen that faces the player; both cameras have a resolution of 640x480 pixels (0.3 Megapixel). The system will also have a "Movie Record Mode", and will have the ability to play 3D video content. The 3DS also possesses Wi-Fi capabilities and periodically searches for Wi-Fi hotspots and other 3DSs without user input; there will be no monthly fee for Nintendo’s 3DS online access.
  • The iPhone 4 features several additions to the design of the original iPhone, including a stainless steel frame that acts as an antenna for Wi-Fi and cellular signals, and a gyroscope (3-axis), in addition to, the 3G's proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, assisted GPS, and the 3GS's digital compass. It has two cameras, one on the front of the device with an LED flash, and a 5 Megapixel camera on the back for more professional photos. The iPhone 4 also has the capability to record HD video (720p) at up to 30 frames a second with audio and comes with iMovie for iPhone, an app for editing video directly on your iPhone. It's also compatible with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology and can video conference via a Wi-Fi connection. AT&T is the exclusive carrier in the US and there are monthly fees for internet use.

Both devices are swimming with cutting-edge technology from touch screens to 3D displays. The iPhone edges the 3DS out by adding more sensors and higher quality components, but the premise of taking 3D photos and videos is very intriguing. The monthly cellular and data fees coupled with having to deal with AT&T's sub-par services doesn't help Apple's case though, and traditional games are easier to play with traditional control schemes, like analog nubs and buttons. Apple's got the edge in price and distribution though, as Nintendo still lags behind in this department (The DS Shop Channel is not iTunes by a long shot.), not to mention that Apple's device is far more versatile with its ability to watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, and access over 225,000 apps and counting, although the Nintendo 3DS could catch up somewhat. I personally think it will be too little, too late, as it is not scheduled to be released until the Spring of 2011. That gives Apple an 8-month head start.

• The Nintendo 3DS will be compatible with both Nintendo DS and DSi games, and a new generation of 3DS games: launch titles include Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mario Kart 3DS, and more than twenty companies have signed on to develop for the 3DS, currently supporting a list of over 70 3DS titles.
  • The Apple iPhone 4 will be compatible with all previous apps and a new generation of apps for iOS 4. Hundreds if not thousands of companies have made and will continue to make apps for the Apple iPhone and Apple's iOS devices, with over 225,000 apps available.

While Nintendo definitely has the upper-hand in the IP department with titles like Kid Icarus and Mario Kart, I'm surprised at how many big name developer are porting and at times creating new IPs for Apple's iOS devices. Square Enix, Capcom, and a whole slew of other big name developers are on board with Apple.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Because a gaming system and a cell phone are two things that should be compared.

Amirite?

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Why are you even comparing a DS and an iPhone? They have two entirely different purposes. Plus, your opinion is totally biased.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You are wrong.

Apple has has positioned the iPhone as a gaming platform. Just look at them adding the gyro, guitar hero, gaming center (or what ever its called), touting how many games are available for it, vs. The nintendo.

No, apple has marketed the iPhone as a gaming platform, so a comparison is definitely fair.

Personally I use a phone to well this may sound crazy but to call people :eek: So i'm not the best example on this

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Why would the cellular network and monthly fee have anything to do with a comparison between a cell phone and a gaming device? Obviously the gaming device will not have those things...

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
That was dumb, sorry.

Neither product is released as you said but if you wanted to appear unbiased you should have left the ridiculous claims of "Winner" out of there. Can you honestly claim to know which one will be more fun to play games on based purely on technical specifications? No, you can't.

I like playing the occasional games on my iPhone. It's good for fun little time wasters while I'm waiting for a train. However have you tried to play any sort of in-depth game on it? GTA China town Wars comes to mind. It's a terrible experience in my opinion. The screen is just too small to sport any buttons on the screen. The lack of feedback that physical buttons provide is a huge negative, when you're playing you simply don't know where the "buttons" on the screen are. All that equals to me playing some games on the iPhone and others on my DS. Both has strengths and weaknesses in different game types.

Will the 3DS fail miserably? Probably not. However, even prefacing your entire post as speculation doesn't save it from being utterly ridiculous.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Wow, you're totally right!!! Hey, can you compare my MBP to my PS3 next? Or how about my iPod to my Wii? I'm clearly not as clever as you and am having some difficulties coming up with talking points like you did.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
You are wrong.

Apple has has positioned the iPhone as a gaming platform. Just look at them adding the gyro, guitar hero, gaming center (or what ever its called), touting how many games are available for it, vs. The nintendo.

No, apple has marketed the iPhone as a gaming platform, so a comparison is definitely fair.

Personally I use a phone to well this may sound crazy but to call people :eek: So i'm not the best example on this

I disagree. I don't care if Apple has positioned the iPhone as a gaming platform, it's still a cellphone first and foremost. Maybe the iPod Touch would be a better comparison for the 3DS, and even that's a bit of a stretch.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
I lol'd, didn't read, and really hope you didn't go through the fuss of typing all that yourself?

The two devices are completely different and should not be compared.

Yes, Apple has made a small, mini appearance at E3 because of the progression of gaming on a platform.

That being said, the 3DS is getting a remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time which is full of win

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I'm still waiting for your in-depth comparison between the new Lexus LFA and a tuna fish sandwich.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
New Zelda OoT?!? ZOMG I may have to rethink getting an iPhone 4 and getting a 3DS :p

Topic hijack:

Nintendo-Zelda-3DS.jpg

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
How are these even comparable? I'll be honest, I stopped using my DS Lite a few months after the App store started up. I can't remember the last time I even charged it up. I may or may not buy a DS 3D but owning an iPhone or iPad will not be a factor.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
If the 3DS is even remotely as good as the current DSi, it will kick the living **** outa the iPhone 4, and whatever Touch is released next. It won't even be close. I love gaming on my Touch and soon to be iPhone 4 (Canabalt, Homerun Derby, Wordflick, Blackjack Run etc etc), but they don't compare at all to games that can be played with these old timey things called BUTTONS. A faux analog controller on a piece of glass is not a replacement for an actual stick or dpad, sorry. But that said, my iPhone and my 3DS will complement each other nicely. I don't intend to bring my DS with me everywhere, but my iPhone will be, so I'll definitely do gaming on that as well. Just different kinds of games. And with the rate that ATT drops calls, my DS is almost just as good of a phone as my iPhone has ever been.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I'd like to preface this by acknowledging it's a bad idea, but I think it'd be cool to put a 3D display in the iPhone 5. Just because.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Intense gaming on the iphone sux, period. Casual games on the iphone rule.

At the end of the day, an actual controller is a million times better than touching a screen and not knowing/having the inputs register correctly.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I'm still waiting for your in-depth comparison between the new Lexus LFA and a tuna fish sandwich.

LOL. I was gonna ask for the OP's comparison of a roll of toilet paper and a BMW and then I saw your post. Great minds...

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Personally I don't agree with comparing the two, makes no sense as they are two very different platforms.

However, I just got back from E3 and had hands on time with the 3ds and can say that nintendo pulled it off! The 3d looks great! You have to be right in front of the screen to see it and it can be shut off but I'm impressed. The 3d is not in your face 3d but rather something similar to a pop up book. The Mario demo I saw looked great like this.

Koolg223

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Why do people say this isn't a good comparison? Open yours eyes people, they're both gaming devices. Sure iPhone does more, but many people are buying iPhones for the apps. Apple has done a lot to brand their system as a gaming device, and they've sold many units for this reason. The guys just giving his opinion.

Vert1go

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
LMAO! Comparing a product to another that doesn't exist yet. Now I've seen it all.

But wait, surprise! The iPhone wins! Oh man, that was such a shocker.:rolleyes:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
iPhone games simply don't match up with those that Nintendo offers.

There's no competition IMO - the DS (or a PSP for that matter) is a much better gaming device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.