Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

152001-imovieiphone.jpg

Since the launch of the original iPhone, Apple has made efforts to hide some of the actual tech specs of the device from consumers. Apple has never advertised or even published the processor speed or amount of RAM found in the iPhone. Arguably, Apple is trying to shield customers from these technical distractions and instead trying to focus on overall functionality.

More technically inclined customers, however, still love to know what they have to work with. The original iPhone and iPhone 3G contained 128MB of RAM, while the iPhone 3GS was boosted to 256MB of RAM. Similarly, the iPad contains 256MB of RAM. This discrepancy offers a technical explanation why Apple is not supporting iOS 4 features such as multi-tasking on the original and 3G iPhone -- there simply isn't enough RAM.

We have since confirmed that the upcoming iPhone 4's RAM has again been upgraded. This will bring it to a total of 512MB of RAM, twice as much as the 3GS and iPad. This number actually contradicts tear down photos of a prototype iPhone 4 that was leaked to the internet. An analysis of that prototype device showed it only carried 256MB of RAM. The 512MB figure, however, does agree with a Digitimes report from May 17th that confirmed a 960x640 screen resolution, thinner display, and indeed 512MB of RAM. We had heard that Apple confirmed this 512MB figure during one of the WWDC sessions last week, and have now verified this.

The added RAM should help overall performance and multi-tasking on the new iPhone 4. It could also explain why the iMovie App that Apple introduced at WWDC will only run on the iPhone 4. Apple has said iMovie will only run on the iPhone 4 and not the 3GS or even the iPad. It seems conceivable that it actually makes use of the extra RAM offered by the iPhone 4.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Confirmed to Have 512MB of RAM (Twice the iPad and 3GS)

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
This is great news!! That was my one concern about the iPhone 4. I wish they would have put 512 in the iPad. No news on the clock speed yet?

chim9999

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Multi-tasking will sure benefit from that. And I can't wait to try iMovie (so glad it's only going to be $4.99).

7 more days, 7 more days, 7 more days!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
If it is true then the useful lifetime of the iPad just got shortened quite a bit. If it already has much less ram then it's just a matter of time till the newest OS won't support it anymore.

Ah well, technology. It will be ok for two to three years. Then it's time to update anyway.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Sweet!

That's awesome that they put 512mb in the new iPhone -- that was the one missing hardware upgrade in my opinion. I just wish I could upgrade my iPad to do the same because iMovie would be an awesome experience on the iPad. In fact, working in iMovie recently I was thinking it would be nice if they had an iPad version of it.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
This makes me wonder why Apple only put in 256MB on the iPad. Good for the iPhone though.

Indeed...??? :confused:

Must admit I don't seem to miss the extra 256 MB ATM.. probably will be missing it once iPad 2 is out with iOS 4 and some gr8 new games that will require 512 MB RAM... :rolleyes:

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
This makes me wonder why Apple only put in 256MB on the iPad. Good for the iPhone though.

...yet another reason for people like me to sell my iPad and buy the new one when it comes out. Hoping an iMovie app will come out for the iPad when the next one is released.

Anyway, I'm even a little more excited now to get my new iPhone Thursday!!!

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Ah. Nice! iOS platforms get a pinch more fragmented. 'Tis evolution for the better so long as the old stuff is drop-supported ASAP! :D

Passels

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
This is great news!! That was my one concern about the iPhone 4. I wish they would have put 512 in the iPad. No news on the clock speed yet?

I believe the clock speed for the iPhone 4 is 1ghz vs the 3GS which has 600mhz

UTVOL06

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
South East, USA
awsome news! I was thinking it would be 256mb since i never saw mention of more from wwdc..apparently more discussion went on about whats under the hood. 512mb will help a whole lot in multitasking and overall system stability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.