Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ast03

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
It'll be a bit faster, but that has everything to do with the processor, and absolutely nothing to do with the RAM. I can't understand why people don't get this!!!

ya and now everything will be running faster at the same time with the added ram

xanatos

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Man that's gonna be fast!
But will I still not being able to make a damn phone call or get a missed text message in the middle of the night.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
SO glad I didn't bite the bait and get an iPad. the next one will be mucho better.

and YAYYYYYYYYYYY for 512MB of ram on the iPhone 4. that excites me quite a bit :D

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
The iPad Has A Plenty Computer Like OS Now

I held off on the iPad because I am on a 3G iPhone and I was really eager to upgrade my phone first before spending money on another gadget. I'm pretty glad I waited. I can't wait to get my new phone next week, especially now with the news about the RAM.

If/when the iPad has a more computer like OS I will probably cave and buy one.
It has that now. You are just rationalizing your unwillingness to spend the money to own one now. :rolleyes:

alvinsito

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Apple did!

Who confirmed it? I don't believe it till there's a new teardown. I sure hope it's true, of course.

This is from the session

Attachments

• ios4.JPG
    ios4.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,991

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I love my iPad, and when a newer, faster, more powerful version comes out early in 2011, I'll get that and sell this one. My guess is the actual "upgrade" price will only be a couple of hundred bucks, and I got to enjoy this one for nearly a year.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I imagine Apple scimped on certain physical features for the iPad so that, come 'iPad 2', there would be more of a reason to upgrade.

One of these is obviously the RAM, would will no doubt be 512mb in the next rev. They'll likely put in a Camera too.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

iPhone 4 keeps getting better and better! Good news for future owners. :p

I cant wait till THURSDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

kingcobra2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Not very happy about the memory upgrade from the ipad. Not an iphone user due to the fact that network/internet is more important to me than the smartphone I use. Droid fits me just fine especially once i can tether.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
I love my iPad, and when a newer, faster, more powerful version comes out early in 2011, I'll get that and sell this one. My guess is the actual "upgrade" price will only be a couple of hundred bucks, and I got to enjoy this one for nearly a year.

What upgrade? You're not under contract and your iPad was not subsidized. You will pay full price unless Apple takes old models back in an exchange program.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Not very happy about the memory upgrade from the ipad. Not an iphone user due to the fact that network/internet is more important to me than the smartphone I use. Droid fits me just fine especially once i can tether.

So you'd be happier if the iPhone 4 used 256MB RAM? The logic escapes me.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I have an iPad and this thing works too well to complain about not having some extra ram like the new iPhone. it's totally understandable to me given the fact that you can shoot and edit HD video on the device. I'm pumped that the new iPhone will have the extra ram, and I'm getting mine on the 24th, but calling the iPad obsolete is such crap! it's a wonderful device for a first gen and everyone knows it!!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What upgrade? You're not under contract and your iPad was not subsidized. You will pay full price unless Apple takes old models back in an exchange program.

Can always sell the first generation device and use the $$ toward the new one.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK

I think he means the 'upgrade price' as in the difference between what he sells his iPad for against the cost of a new iPad

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I feel really gypped that my iPad only has 256mb of RAM. Compared to the iPhone 4, it makes my iPad seem outdated. RAM is so cheap these days.

esmith20

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Wrong Forum... i know. But...

Is it possible to pre-order (2) phones at the subsidized price for 1 contract?
I.E. buy two 16gb for $199

kingcobra2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
For those that do not have an ipad there will be considerable differance from an ipad with 512 vs 256 mb ram. Personally i would rather have 1 gig. My chess crashes a lot and i do not like the buffer problem that the ipad has when you open more than 1 web page. You have to wait for the ipad to redownload the web page when you have more than 1 web pahe open. I suspect the multitasking will also create problems for the 256 ram.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London
Man that's gonna be fast!
But will I still not being able to make a damn phone call or get a missed text message in the middle of the night.

Thats what I want to know aswell but technically it should be the best phone for reception due to all the work on the antenna

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I feel really gypped that my iPad only has 256mb of RAM. Compared to the iPhone 4, it makes my iPad seem outdated. RAM is so cheap these days.

If for some reason the RAM was so important to you (and I can't imagine what that reason would be), you shouldn't have purchased an iPad.

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
More ram is allways good!!!

This is Great News!!! playing around with my 3GS with iOS 4 GM and some of the new apps that take advantage of iOS 4 fast app switching you can see the need for more ram. Depending on the app I say it can have around 5 apps "Running" ("frozen" in ram). One thing i do not like thought is, say i load a 6th app that is kinda big, the OS will then kill ALL the other apps that were running (not the phone and daemons of course) this sorta sucks.
Also when the OS kills or you manually kill an app, the apps do not save their state to the flash. so when you open them up again its like opening it up for the first time. I know this can be some what be faked with coding (using a database), but no one seemed to do this with their iPhone OS 3 apps so i doubt any one will now. I wish apple figure out a way to use some other kind off highly read writable flash like SDD or something to fix this issue.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
If for some reason the RAM was so important to you (and I can't imagine what that reason would be), you shouldn't have purchased an iPad.

That's a bit backwards! It's not like Apple openly admit that the iPad has 256mb RAM and shows you the limitations this brings. If the iPad regularly runs out of RAM (which it does), Apple should have put more in it. They went backwards since the 3GS has enough RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.