Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
I've reserved two 32GB iphone 4s for pick-up from my local apple store - one for me and one for my cousin in Spain. Both were eligible for the $299 upgrade through my family plan. Neither of us have had iphones before, and we're not sure what we need to do in order for him to use it Spain. I imagine my cousin's phone would need to be unlocked somehow, and he is willing to pay any fees associated with this process. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Currently there is no unlock out. I believe they have found an exploit but we'll have to wait and watch. As for now you can buy the phone.

dj1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
can someone still please explain what steps i need to take for this process? if i buy the phone for my cousin, will it obligate me to a two-year contract? then what, cancel it and pay the ETF? again, my cousin is willing to pay for any fee if necessary. thx!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
you'll get a 2 year contract unless you pay the unsubsidized price. With contract ETF will apply. The phone will still be locked to AT&T and they will not unlock it for you.

dj1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
you'll get a 2 year contract unless you pay the unsubsidized price. With contract ETF will apply. The phone will still be locked to AT&T and they will not unlock it for you.

ok, that's a little clearer now. thx.
my cousin is looking into unlocking it from his end.
what is the most cost-effective: contract with ETF or unsubsidized price?
will apple allow to sell it to me unsubsidized?
see apple's faq http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone#faqs
thx again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.