Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Alright, so i found a 1400 X 1050 resolution 12.1" screen. i think its the highest available. The one i found is made for a toshiba portable: LTD121KM1K . Its SXGA vs. the current screen's XGA. Any idea if it'll work in my 1.33ghz 12" powerbook??

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Alright, so i found a 1400 X 1050 resolution 12.1" screen. i think its the highest available. The one i found is made for a toshiba portable: LTD121KM1K . Its SXGA vs. the current screen's XGA. Any idea if it'll work in my 1.33ghz 12" powerbook??

probably not, the connectors are pretty model specific for all LCD panels and laptops.

sucks, but its why most are very $$$, especially apple compatibles.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005

Actually there is a good chance it will work. I have been thinking of using the same screen for a 12" PB project. If you can get it at a good price I say go for it as if it doesn't work you can always sell it again for around the same price. We have a thread here about upgrading laptop displays. If you can find some pics that would be helpful. Get the seller to take pictures of the rear lvds connector and inverter connections. LCD's are actually pretty standardised nowdays so once you get that info post it up and we'll see what we can come up with.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Actually there is a good chance it will work. I have been thinking of using the same screen for a 12" PB project. If you can get it at a good price I say go for it as if it doesn't work you can always sell it again for around the same price. We have a thread here about upgrading laptop displays. If you can find some pics that would be helpful. Get the seller to take pictures of the rear lvds connector and inverter connections. LCD's are actually pretty standardised nowdays so once you get that info post it up and we'll see what we can come up with.
thanks for the encouragement. ive been to that thread before, but havent had a chance to read through the whole thing yet.
if i muster up the courage to spend 300-400bucks on something that may or may not work i might! it'd be freaking sweet tho

just an fyi:

http://www.macservice.com/screens.cfm

pretty pricey but they do good work

im familiar with them, but from what i kno they dont do upgrades on screens, just replacements

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
im workign on getting some of that info from eBay sellers, but it'll probably be a few days before they get back to me. if i can sell my pb screen and by this new screen for around $100 difference, i should be able to afford it. itd be sweet if it worked!

looking around, this same screen is the screen toshiba picks for its tablets. must be a good choice then.

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2005
Did you ever find out if the LTD121KM1K would work in the 12" with some minor modding?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Did you ever find out if the LTD121KM1K would work in the 12" with some minor modding?
I've a feeling it will, but it's a $250 non returnable feeling. So i decided not to risk it :).

HWgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
I went and got a beater portege M200 off of ebay recently, and took it apart to see what the screen was.
It is a Toshiba LTD121KM1K, with the touchscreen add on.
The panel connector is wider and has more pins than the powerbook connector. 20 vs 32 pins. 30 are signal, 2 are end shield grounds.
Also there is a second circuit to drive/detect touch screen activity off to one side. I will post pics in a few days when I can get to it... (too many projects going on right now :-( )

Anyone have pinouts for the pb 12" panel(s) ?? Its time consuming to pin them out, but if its done, an adapter could possibly be made.

One possible issue (ran into this with the pismo's) Does the graphics chip support multi lvds streams? If not then 1024x768 is the best we will be able to do. (pismo only supports one stream/channel, to get higher rez you have to go to 2+ streams to support the data throughput)

Pinouts for the ltd121 or the torisan panel would go a long way to figuring that out. Also any spec's on what the graphics chip does would help too.
(I will of course poke around via google etc, figure others might have avenues or have the info already)

Cheers

HWgeek

HWgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Quick update. The Toshiba LTD121KM1K has the same type of connector.
The connector on the cable side is 30 pin - the board connector is 30pin, but two additional "pins" that are shield grounds.
The connector is made by JAE , and initially looks to be a FI-X series connector. I ordered some to try to make an adapter cable to wire up the panel to the G4 12" laptop.

Looking at the cabling on the M200 donor laptop, I can deduce that the twisted wires in pairs are the LVDS signal lines.

I went and got a beater portege M200 off of ebay recently, and took it apart to see what the screen was.
The panel connector is wider and has more pins than the powerbook connector. 20 vs 32 pins. 30 are signal, two are end grounds.
Also there is a second circuit to drive/detect touch screen activity off to one side. I will post pics in a few days when I can get to it... (too many projects going on right now :-( )

Anyone have pinouts for the pb 12" panel(s) ?? Its time consuming to pin them out, but if its done, an adapter could possibly be made.

One possible issue (ran into this with the pismo's) Does the graphics chip support multi lvds streams? If not then 1024x768 is the best we will be able to do. (pismo only supports one stream/channel, to get higher rez you have to go to 2+ streams to support the data throughput)

Pinouts for the ltd121 or the torisan panel would go a long way to figuring that out. Also any spec's on what the graphics chip does would help too.
(I will of course poke around via google etc, figure others might have avenues or have the info already)

Cheers

HWgeek

HWgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Yup :)
got stalled with other stuff :)

The good news is that i have ordered the correct connectors to hook up the panel to the mac. Hopefully in a few weeks I can sort out the signals (I have a scope and know how to use it :) ) and do a test wire up.

Cheers!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
you guys.

i found another panel
BOE HV121P01-100 / HV121P01-101

it has the same type 20pin connector as the origional LGP LP121X04

and view angle up to +/- 89deg (IPS?)

That's great as I would love to upgrade my LCD, need to replace it anyways but those are still $250+. Way more than the PB is worth :(. If I can get one for around $50 then I would buy it(same as the stock 12" PB LCD).

**edit**
I'm googling around for part #s but does anyone know if this would work in the PB 12"?

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place

Attachments

• oem_i-902c-01.pdf
    157.9 KB · Views: 102

kensenjiha

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
Some terrible place
YES!! I did it.

i replaced the LCD with an HV121P01!!

doubled the pixels before.

I love wide angle IPS! I love high resolution!

i'll post a full story later.

:D:D:D:D

show you guys some pics now.

Attachments

• DSC_4327.jpg
    DSC_4327.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_4328.jpg
    DSC_4328.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_4320.jpg
    DSC_4320.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_4330.jpg
    DSC_4330.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 178

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I always liked the higher end g4 powerbooks, the 12" is definitely more fun then a netbook!

This is an excellent mod and the guide was well photographed. Very cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.