Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Try as I might, I can't find anywhere to buy the Power Support anti-glare film in the UK. Amazon UK have some horrible cheap films that are rubbish (good job I only wasted £4).

Has anyone seen the Power Support available anywhere in the UK for a reasonable price?

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
I would also like to know this, getting my iPad on Thursday!

I've tried buying off the Power Support website, but shipping to the UK is really expensive!

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Mine should come tomorrow or Friday in the post. I got one off eBay for a few £'s.

I'm fed up already of cleaning my iPad already... everyone in the office so far has had a play with it. I'm using the cloth that came with my 13" MBP which works a treat.

I'll report my findings when it arrives

pac

LordEntropy

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I saw some on Ebay but the guy wanted over 25 quid excluding shipping for one, shipping I think was 14 quid. Whilst I want one I am not prepared to pay that kind of money for one.

Agree cleaning the screen is rubbish. Just bought some iKlear and that helps a bit but all it really does it makes it easier to clean the fingerprints off the screen not prevent them from happening in the first place.

My only real gripe with the pad really!

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
I bought some cheapo ones from eBay

Does the job and looks quite nice. You can immediately notice the difference it makes for the screen in regards to fingerprints. Maybe the more expensive ones are better in the long run, but for now happy with these, got a full-body one coming from the US by Invisible Clear.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
What works wonders, micro-fiber clothes. Those alone and hot breathe are great, of you want more. Screen wipes+microfiber. Great. I don have an ipad but I do use on all my mac screens and my iPhone. Should be the same for the iPad of course.

twoism

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I got the Steinheil AF screen protector, its just as good as the Power Support material on my iPhone IMO, and cheaper. Still not locally available, but if Ebay is your last option, I'd go for that especially as it includes a squeegee, cloth and spray.

bigkahunar

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2010
I emailed powersupport the other day then and this is what I got from them:

Dear Customer,

Unfortunately we don’t carry that product anywhere other then our website.
Thanks for the support!

Justin Alonso,
Customer Service

On 5/28/10 12:44

The following message has been sent from the Power Support contact form:
After using your screen protectors on all three of my iphones I'm now after your anti-glare screen protector for my ipad but I live in the uk. Can u point in the right direction of which uk stockiest you supple this product too. Thx Rich

PowerSupportUSA.com

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Yes, they ship internationally, but for a frankly ridiculous price ($50 or $75 for the cheapest option to the UK IIRC?). Bit over the top IMHO, given that the protector weighs a few grams and only costs $25...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
We've got stacks of the Power Support Anti Glare screen protectors where I work. I'm using one on my iPad now.

They're pretty exxy at A$29.95 for one but I really like the feel of the screen with it on. More paper-like.

Not, however, convinced with the LOOK of the screen. I've tried these on my iPhone before and after a week or so I long for the old clarity of the glass screen on its own. The AG protectors tend to give a sparkly, grainy look to the screen that I just don't know if I can live with when compared with something so incredibly bright and sharp as the iPad screen.

That being said, the FEEL of the screen with the protector on is fantastic. Hah, yeah I know eh. Little bit suss that last sentence.

I'll see how I go but don't be surprised if it's gone by this time next week. Just don't think I'll be able to hack the grainy images.

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
I too have searched in vein for a Power Support film.
In the meantime, I bought a cheapo Belkin protector which comes with a cleaning cloth.

My screen is pure filth at the moment, yet I've still not been able to put my iPad down long enough to actually clean it, and apply the film :eek:

I would expect the Apple online Store to stock them sooner or later. I'm sure I bought a PS film for my iPhone from Apple a couple of years ago.

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Try phone devil http://phonedevil.com/ the matte one I have on my iPhone is better than power support IMO.

Click on matte, go into it and select iPad, 2 x for £15 but on pre order shipping towards the end of June!

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Radtech ship their ClearCal to the UK for a reasonable price (and if you check their Twitter account their is a 15% code). You also get two in a pack which is nice. I have one of these on my iPad and I'd never want to go back to using it without.

happy2help

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Power Support for iPad now available at gearzap.com

You can now buy the Power Support iPad films from gearzap! the current price is £19.95, which isnt too bad considering these are supposedly the best on the market!

Looks like they are now available in anti-glare and crystal clear.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
There was a report that Apple would stop carrying screen protectors, but I just checked the online store and see that they are still carrying them for the iPhone.

happy2help

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
There was a report that Apple would stop carrying screen protectors, but I just checked the online store and see that they are still carrying them for the iPhone.

Yes, this is true. I think Apple may be selling the last remaining stock. Apple reckons their devices don't need screen protectors because they are scratch resistant. Well, they may be scratch resistant, but that doesn't stop them getting scratched. It's still much better to use a screen protector. The anti-glare option is also a huge benefit if you are using the iPad outdoors or in a room with lights.

I'm going to buy the anti-glare power support from gearzap. I'll try to remember to report back.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm affiliated with Proporta. However, that's a good thing because if you go here: http://www.proporta.com/affiliate/Gadgetoid

And scroll down, you can pick up their antiglare protector (Advanced Screen Protector) for £13.45. (down from £14.95)

It's basically your pretty standard, good quality, antiglare screen protector affair complete with all the gubbins you need to apply it and smooth out the bubbles. I've had it on my iPad, and managed to apply it nearly perfectly (got some comments about it being applied well in the local Apple store), however I had to remove it (ARGH! sin of sins!) to test the Griffin one... which is pretty much identical in terms of feel and appearance.

Yes, I might be an affiliate, but I really do wholeheartedly recommend this protector... the commission I get selling these is a pittance anyway.

By the way, that price works out to £16.40 with worldwide shipping, and spending a further £23.60 will qualify for free shipping. iPad cases are slightly discounted too ;)

Oh, and yes it does make the screen grainy/rainbowed... but it really doesn't bother me.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
Just ordered for Gearzap, hopefully should be here tomorrow. I just hope I can install it without any hassle, otherwise it's gonna be a big waste of £20! :eek:

happy2help

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Review of Anti-glare Power Support for iPad

My Power Support Anti Glare for iPad arrived from gearzap today. Delivered in less than 24h :D

Anyway I am glad to report it is as good as I hoped. It applied very easily with no air bubbles, just be careful to align it correctly with the iPad button. The anti-glare works a treat and it's super clear too! Although it's relatively expensive, I can't fault it one bit.

For those that want a cheaper option, gearzap have loads of choice. The cheapest ones are less than £7. It would be great to here from anyone who has tried the cheaper ipad screen protectors here: http://www.gearzap.com/ipad-accessories/ipad-screen-protectors.html

applesupergeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Try phone devil http://phonedevil.com/ the matte one I have on my iPhone is better than power support IMO.

Click on matte, go into it and select iPad, 2 x for £15 but on pre order shipping towards the end of June!

Radtech ship their ClearCal to the UK for a reasonable price (and if you check their Twitter account their is a 15% code). You also get two in a pack which is nice. I have one of these on my iPad and I'd never want to go back to using it without.

Any feedback as to how grainy these are compared with the ps one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.