Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
The Apple case has an inner flap on the left side that seems superfluous. I assume it is to tuck under the iPad to keep it in place, but mine is not about to slide out. It ads bulk. Any reason not to remove it? Has anyone done that?
Any suggestions? Any use for the flap that I am just too dull witted to have recognized? Thanks!

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I tucked mine under. It adds no noticeable bulk. I wouldn't cut it off if I were you. I would also worry about the left edge of the case getting loose without it. Tuck it under and forget it.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
When I tuck it under it adds a ridge to the bottom of the case i don't like. But I agree with you that cutting it off might cause worse problems. I was hoping someone had tried it and could tell me!

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Now that you mention it, I can feel the ridge from the flap if I run my hand over the back. I can't see it and probably would not have noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it. It's no bother to me. I guess we each obsess about something different. (And I do obsess about some things that others don't.)

Maybe someone who did cut the flap off will come along and let you know how that worked out.

mrcc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I tucked it in tight. No hulk or anything. U can't cut it. Cuz it. Avoids the warranty.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Op your being far to anal! You could cut the flap off. Your next issue will be the black boarder that the flap attaches to will flap around and not sit flush no more.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
Interesting point! It never occurred to me the case had a warranty! I guess voiding it doesn't bother me much. Having the edge of the case no longer fit properly if I were to cut the flap off worries me a lot more.

Thanks for the thoughts!

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
When I tuck it under it adds a ridge to the bottom of the case i don't like. But I agree with you that cutting it off might cause worse problems. I was hoping someone had tried it and could tell me!

The majority of people don't have an issue with it.

sandydlc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2010
The real question is, to flap or not to flap? I've seen a mix of people who choose to leave it out and those who tuck it in. I prefer to tuck it in. I do believe that's what Apple intended since it holds the iPad quite securely with the flap in. A friend of mine leaves his out and claims that it helps to stabilize the iPad when viewing it standing in landscape mode, (not in the typing position).

To me it just looks silly to see someone with a nice iPad in the apple case with this huge flap, well, flapping in the breeze.

I vote for tucking it in.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
It never occurred to me the case had a warranty!
I didn't think of that either. But it turns out it does. Faint printing on the side of the box refers you to this link, where you learn that accessories are warranted for a year against defects in material and workmanship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.