Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Would the iPod car adapters work with the iPad since it uses the same. 30 pin dock connecter.

Also anyone else notice that the iPad doesn't charge when you have it plugged in your computer.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Would the iPod car adapters work with the iPad since it uses the same. 30 pin dock connecter.

Also anyone else notice that the iPad doesn't charge when you have it plugged in your computer.

The car adapter should work, but will charge very slowly.

As has been mentioned many many times before on this forum, standard USB 2.0 ports can provide half an amp of power, except recent Macs which can bump it up to around 1 amp. This means most computers wont charge the iPad. However, when the screen is off most USB ports will trickle charge the iPad.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Anybody find a cheap alternative Wall Adapater?

Be careful with your car adapter. I have one that plugs directly into a car outlet...and has a USB slot on top of it. The iPad starts acting REALLY funny...locking up and becoming unresponsive until I unplug. Strangely, I have another one in the car that goes into the back of a stereo, and it will trickle charge the ipad.

As far as a computer, at work, I have a new lowprofile HP , and it charges pretty quick even though the ipad will say "Not Charging". At home, I have a fairly new HP and it does not charge nearly as quick.

I also have a couple of other wall to USB power adapters that are only rated at 5w. They either either flat don't work...or do the same as the Car adapter above. I thought one was working, but when I try to go type, the keyboard start double typing...returns to normal after I unplug it from the wall.

So, has anybody found an inexpensive generic wall adapter on Ebay? They have a ton that SAY iPad, but all that I have found so far is 5w ones. Well, I found this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Apple-i...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07ebf4a3 but pricing starts out at $20 and is coming from HK. I just found this http://cgi.ebay.com/New-10W-USB-Wal...=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item255b5c2737 but there is a conflict in the title versus the specs in the description...I have just sent them an email. Actually, the next one on the lsit at ebay...same deal. Title says one thing...picture shows 5w.

Also, are there ANY inexpensive 10w for cars? I did just find this one on another thread: http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=249 and just now found this http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WAGAN-2438-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58876d1116

Thanks!

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
finding a cheaper ipad car charger is difficult. I had a combo one (car+home) on backorder from macmall for 6 weeks, and they just cancelled it without telling me. they can't get them. I really want a combo one, even harder to get.

lockerd, thanks for the info, that ebay one is huge, I only need 1 socket.
the other one I think is not true 2amp. I've seen many where they add up the outlets to get the 2 amp total, but they don't output 2 amp thru 1 outlet.

I'm using my cheapy iphone car charger, it charges the ipad slowly, but the charger gets hot and I don't trust it.

3 brands I'm tracking- Griffin, Kensington, and Incase. only 1 or 2 combo ones, most are $40-50 or sold out. still looking.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I have the 4-port USB car charger (the one with the cigrette lighter port in the middle of the USB ports) from USBFever.com and have successfully charged two iPads and two DSi's at the same time. Granted, the iPad's only charged about 5% in just over an hour, but they did charge. BTW, I think this charger is around $15-20 before shipping.

During a recent 3 hour trip, the same above mentioned device charged a single iPad from the low 70's to full charge with an iPhone also charging.

It seems like one of the only devices on the market that can provide a decent charge to the iPad, IMO. BTW, I have tried 4 other chargers without ANY success -- two from Amazon and two from Best Buy.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Griffin, Kensington, and Incase all make 2amp car chargers that charge the ipad as fast as the Apple wall charger, they just cost more, or are out of stock.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
My iPhone car charger definitely will not charge my iPad. I also have the unit described above from USBFever.com. The first sample I got didn't work at all, but the company quickly shipped a replacement, no question asked. I was worried because they are in Hong Kong, but I didn't need to.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
I found a Rhino PSA-2005U for $9.99 at Frys in Houston...works perfect. Dual USB, 2ma. I searched the net for this model number...not easy to find unless you want to buy a BUNCH (wholesale).

If you have a local Frys...you can also pick up an extra AC adapter for $10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.