Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3GEE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Stupid question but will the ipad charger do any harm to the iPhone? It seems to charge the phone much faster than phone wall charger. Any harm in doing this? Thanks.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Should be okay, but I've not seen the iPhone draw any more current from an iPad brick than the iPhone brick. It seems to draw about 1A either way, maximum.

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Stupid question but will the ipad charger do any harm to the iPhone? It seems to charge the phone much faster than phone wall charger. Any harm in doing this? Thanks.

That's not quite how it works. The iPad pulls more current than the iPhone, that's why it needs a bigger brick. The voltages are the same. So your iPhone will take the same amount of time to charge regardless of the brick size.

tknice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
That's not quite how it works. The iPad pulls more current than the iPhone, that's why it needs a bigger brick. The voltages are the same. So your iPhone will take the same amount of time to charge regardless of the brick size.
I called apple national tech support because I was wondering the same thing and he said that we should not use the ipad charger on the iphone 4.

msprouls

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007

Dead on the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.