Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey guys,

I bought a stock revC PB a couple months ago, and in the past few days something seems to have gona astray with it. Suddenly this thing isnt so quick anymore. Programs are taking a while to start up. Even the force quit dialog from the apple menu is taking its time to show up.

I ran the extended hardware test from the dvds that came with my pb, but nothing was found. My pb is stock plus a 512 stick of samsung memory that I installed. Its been running so well so far, but now Im having windoze deja vu. Its as if im accumulating something yucky.

95% of my computer use for the past month has simply been itunes, Camino, Adium, and Mail. I've been playing with some audio editing software a bit, too. Oh and I dont always keep my mac awake at night but I ran MacJanitor recently.

Any ideas on what could be slowing my mac down? I want to ctrl-alt-del to see the task manager and spot some unwanted process hogging my memory. I thought I escaped this windows-like sluggishness!

Thanks
Charlie

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
sometimes after installing software without repairing permissions can slow down the system considerably.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Download MacJanitor.

Run it and see what comes out in the wash...

(whoops, now I see that you've already done that...) :eek:

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Check how much free space you have left on your hard drive. If you have less than 1gb free, OSX can really start to slow down.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
In Utilites there is a app called "activity monitor" its macosx task manager.
You can always use the terminal and type "top" and then use kill "PiD"

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
C-Mezak said:
Hey guys,

I bought a stock revC PB a couple months ago, and in the past few days something seems to have gona astray with it. Suddenly this thing isnt so quick anymore. Programs are taking a while to start up. Even the force quit dialog from the apple menu is taking its time to show up.

I ran the extended hardware test from the dvds that came with my pb, but nothing was found. My pb is stock plus a 512 stick of samsung memory that I installed. Its been running so well so far, but now Im having windoze deja vu. Its as if im accumulating something yucky.

95% of my computer use for the past month has simply been itunes, Camino, Adium, and Mail. I've been playing with some audio editing software a bit, too. Oh and I dont always keep my mac awake at night but I ran MacJanitor recently.

Any ideas on what could be slowing my mac down? I want to ctrl-alt-del to see the task manager and spot some unwanted process hogging my memory. I thought I escaped this windows-like sluggishness!

Thanks
Charlie

From what I understand, this happens only in one of three circumstances this quickly.

1. You're hard drive is almost full (games, movies, error logs, or whatever). Check free space.

2. You have a bad stick of RAM (or more than one). If there is more than one stick, try using only one then the other. Yes, it is possible for RAM to suddenly go bad.

3. I hate to say this - it sounds almost Windows like - you may have to do a clean install.

If you do step 3 and it still is slow, you have what is almost certainly a RAM problem.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Boot to the CD and run the disk utility and see if the directory has any problems if you haven't already.... It's really early in the morning for me so forgive me if you've done it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Go to Finder>Utilities>Activity Monitor, and check what excess processes are slowing down your computer. This usually doesn't need to be checked on a Mac, but if there's something taking up 73% of your CPU, then yeah, there's some weirdness going on there.

Oh, and check and double check "About This Mac" to make sure that the RAM hasn't unseated recently. It may have been okay before, but not anymore.

Nothing else I can think of. For me, this is LATE in the evening. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.