Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122939-pandora_beatropolis.jpg

With the launch of Apple's iOS 4 expected possibly within the hour if past releases are any indication, Pandora has just snuck in under the wire with an update to the company's Pandora Radio [App Store] application. The popular service offering free, personalized music streams was one of the App Store's earliest success stories, and has been a favorite of Apple executives for their presentations.

The new update brings the much-anticipated backgrounding feature first demoed at Apple's iOS 4 media event in April, taking advantage of the new multitasking APIs in iOS 4 to allow users to continue streaming music from the application even after switching away to other apps.
Pandora keeps playing after you press press the home button. You can go surf the web or use Facebook and the music won't stop. (Available only on multitasking capable devices with iOS 4.)
Not all iOS devices will be able to take advantage of the multitasking features of iOS 4 due to the hardware requirements. Consequently, multitasking will be limited to the iPhone 3GS, third-generation iPod touch, and of course iPhone 4 due for launch later this week.

Article Link: 'Pandora Radio' Ready for iOS 4 With Multitasking Support

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Just finished downloading it, on my 3G I can control playback from the lock screen! :)

sollek

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Has anyone been able to download the new pandora yet? I've been running 4.0 GM since the keynote and I haven't seen it in my updates yet.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never realized until I saw this walkthrough that not only can apps play background audio, but the OS has a universal control bar capable of pausing/skipping any app’s audio (presumably including Pandora).

Screenshots showed an iPod icon in that “widget bar” so I assumed it was like the current double-click controls: it’s just for the iPod app, not for every app. But apparently that icon changes to show any audio app.

So you’d double-click home, swipe to the left-most “pane” of the recent-app switcher, and you’d see standard playback controls plus a Pandora icon to launch the full UI (such as to bookmark a song).

That will be REALLY nice when I’m GPS navigating and just want to skip an annoying song!

For instance: this shot shows iTunes (not iPod) because the user is streaming a non-downloaded podcast via iTunes.

iphone_os_4_itunes_streaming_widget-266x400.png

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Has anyone been able to download the new pandora yet? I've been running 4.0 GM since the keynote and I haven't seen it in my updates yet.

Yes, guessing it will take time for all the servers to sync up...

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
As excited as I am for iOS4 I am forcing myself to not install it on my 3G and wait for my iPhone 4 to arrive Thursday.

I know my 3G wouldn't support mutli tasking anyway but I want all the new features to be brand new and part of my iPhone 4 experience. I want to see it all at once on the newest phone.

Imma wait it out!!! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I bet that any non-iPhone user coming across Macrumors this week would logically assume that all iPhone users listen to Pandora all the time.

It sure seems that way, based on how much I'm reading about it lately!

BuckWright

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Updates to 3g

Is there anywhere to find out what updates the 3G will get?

Apple's site says 100 updates, but only specifically excludes multitasking and video recording from 3G.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
Hah this is why I love is site. I no more than left macrumors, downloaded the update, came back and this thread is posted. Now if we can just get iOS4!!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Small White Car said:
I bet that any non-iPhone user coming across Macrumors this week would logically assume that all iPhone users listen to Pandora all the time.

It sure seems that way, based on how much I'm reading about it lately!

Well i sure do. The ability to play pandora in the background is the single feature I want more than anything else in iOS 4. Not even multitasking in general, just this. I use pandora that much!

Will we be able to control pandora with the headset mic, or is that still just for iPod?

Raydiatur

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I got my hands on iOS 4 and this updated version of Pandora. And like how nagromme stated, the control scheme on the taskbar changes to fit Pandora. It's pretty great actually. I feel sorry for 3G users since this is so nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.