Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkdoyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Plano, TX
Does anyone know if it possible to view HTML files stored on the iPad in either the browser or another app? IOW - if I backup a small website and put the files on the iPad can I then browse the website offline? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Baracus

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
UK
Haven't tried Read It Later. I assume you mean someone elses website or HTML pages that you haven't got FTP access details for?

If it's one of your own sites, or one you have locally, I can suggest Gusto, but this might be over the top for what you are trying... I'm gonna have a look at Read It Later now :)

pkdoyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Plano, TX
You are correct as to lack of FTP access. It looks like another possibility is an app called iSaveWeb and it's only $2.99. It will save directly to your iPad, iPhone, etc.

blackNBUK

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2010
UK
I didn't realise that ReadItLater supported saving formatted web-pages; I thought that it was closer to Instapaper in features. Offline Pages is another App that you might want to look at.

One problem you may find is whether any of these Apps allow you to mirror an entire web-site for offline use; or whether you have to save pages one at a time.

Baracus

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
UK
Tried Read It Later Free version now. I like it a lot! So much so that I upgraded to the full version with the in-app option.

Somehow though it hasn't quite worked right. I noticed the icon on the springboard still said FREE so I deleted it and downloaded the Pro version... and it charged me again!!

I've emailed Apple to see if I can get a refund for one of the £2.99's!

It's a quality idea though - nice little useful service. I've got the Firefox plugin on my desktop PC now, and the universal iPhone app.... should be very handy!

Thanks for the heads-up! (and YOU came here ASKING for advice hehe)

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I've been looking for this too, but none of these seem to do what I want. They all seem to save the web site one page at a time. I want the whole thing.

I also want to save it from a local file directory on my Mac. (Not interested in "downloading" a website from the Internet.)

I made a post about this a few days ago with no response, so I might go ahead with my developer project:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/939940/

Samm625

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
This might not be what you want, but you could convert the files into an epub using calibre on a mac, then transfer the resulting file to iTunes and sync it with the iPad. Basically, you'd be reading the contents as a book. For this to work the page-to-page links need to be correct. Otherwise you will only get the pages up to where the first faulty link occurs. Also, the page links would have to be linear, i.e., no branching. Not a great general solution, but sometime it is useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.