Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Look at the huge difference between Quicktime X and all the other media players.

Top Left: MPlayer Extended
Top Right: Movist
Bottom Left: VLC
Bottom Right: Quicktime X

How does Quicktime X handle color differently then the rest?

Attachments

• colors.jpg
    colors.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 311

ottoveilMR

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
It is not your imagination.
The following information applies to older Quicktime Player versions and, it seems, to Quicktime X as well.
The Quicktime Player seeks out hidden tags in video files and tries to make the video look either A) the way the encoder intended, or B) the way apple thinks it would look best for your monitor. I work in video professionally and this is something that is a recognized issue/hassle when using QT Player.

Note that QT Player is also making an adjustment to the aspect ratio of the image (it is slightly squished vertically). These adjustments may be correct in that they display the image more like what the producer intended, or they may be totally wrong. If you don't like 'em, as far as I know, Apple doesn't allow you to shut them off. The only exception is if you have Final Cut Pro installed. If you do, then in QT Player a new option in the preferences will appear that gives you the option to ignore them but I believe this only applies within FCP itself (confusingly enough). I'm not a big FCP guy so maybe someone here who is could speak to that.

I'm not running Quicktime X Player personally, but the folks I know in the business who have looked into it tell me the situation hasn't changed for QT Player in terms of it "second guessing" the look of the material it displays.
The best check is to compare it to the original material before it was encoded (although I realize that is not always possible).
Good luck.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Yes, I noticed how Quicktime X slightly slimmed down the height of the video too.

ottoveilMR,

Since you're in the video business, do you have a preferred video player that most accurately reproduces video as close to the original as possible?

And when you say compare it to the original material before encoding, do you mean before it's encoded for DVD/Blu-Ray?
If so, I don't have any friends who work in any Hollywood studios so I can't.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
QuickTime X does color correction using colorsync, based on the color tag of the video. Other players does not.
The height is not slimmed down, in QuickTime X the title bar covers part of the video.

But, to know which one is the better, you should compare it to the source.

Mr Dobey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
QuickTime X does color correction using colorsync, based on the color tag of the video. Other players does not.
The height is not slimmed down, in QuickTime X the title bar covers part of the video.

But, to know which one is the better, you should compare it to the source.

You're right about the title bar covering the top of the video, silly me :p

How can I view the color tag of the video? would it be a .icc tag?

Looking at the info of the file with MediaInfo Mac it says the color space is YUV.

I'm still confused how I would go about 'comparing it to the source' if I did not shoot the video myself.

So far A/B'ing the color difference between Quicktime X and the rest, I've liked the look of Quicktime :D My MacBook Pro is also calibrated weekly with a Spyder3Elite.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
You're right about the title bar covering the top of the video, silly me :p

It *is* adjusting the aspect ratio, though. Aside from the title bar and navigation bar, there's a difference. It could be conforming to 'clean' aperture.

Man, that new player interface is hideous. The fact that you can't tear away the navigation bar (so it's not covering up 40% of the picture) is just dumb. Hopefully they'll have a "Pro" player for SL before long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.