Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krypt17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Did Apple seriously not give users with the 3G the ability to change the home screen wallpaper or am I just doing something wrong?

krypt17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Wow.. what a F@&$ing joke..

Atleast I get my iPhone 4 on thursday..

Goodhank16

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
can't really say I'm surprised, but I sure am disappointed as that was one of the main features that I was looking forward to today...

like steve said, "there are hardware limitations.." what a joke.

krypt17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I know.. how the hell does a background wallpaper massively effect the hardware?

xqb4dpx

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Reason Apple chose not to support wallpapers on 3G: In order for you to see your own apps on top of your ****** backgrounds, Apple had to change the typeset of the titles underneath the app icons to white bold and use a drop shadow for contrast. The iPhone 3G is too slow and wastes battery life having to render the drop shadows while swiping/showing them.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
@JonBorichef
3GS does support wallpaper, but 3G doesn't, which is completely ridiculous.

irun5k

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2005
Given the level of animation that the 3G can handle in games and so forth, I'd say this is ridiculous and just an attempt to artificially limit what older devices can do. Either that or the code behind iOS 4 is written poorly and actually does require additional CPU cycles...

Honestly, if you've ever done any graphics programming at all, you'd know that making the required adjustments to the home screen would be trivial in most environments. Battery life? Christ, this isn't rendering an hours worth of HD video at 30fps every time you swipe into your phone!

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Personally I feel Apple did this to nudge 3G owners to upgrade to the iPhone 4. Think about it, it is the 3G owners who are more in a position to upgrade because they've had their phones longer and are usually out of contract. They gave us enough in iOS4, so we don't feel we were completely cheated, but kept back some of the more enticing features to nudge us more to thinking about upgrading. It worked with me, I guess I'll go ahead and upgrade sooner rather than later. Plus in general everything on my 3G seems slower after I installed 4. iBooks in particular is very slow on my 3G.

thom dork

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
I don't know what the big deal is I do not want a background on my phone.

thats nice you don't want a custom background, but this forum isn't about you, it's to show our hate towards apple for lying about the features just so we all will update our ******* outdated phones which now run slower than usually- due to the misleading software and features we are forced to buy newer faster iphones. same thing goes for the ipods- be careful when updating software from apple. :apple:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
thats nice you don't want a custom background, but this forum isn't about you, it's to show our hate towards apple for lying about the features just so we all will update our ******* outdated phones which now run slower than usually- due to the misleading software and features we are forced to buy newer faster iphones. same thing goes for the ipods- be careful when updating software from apple. :apple:

Really? We're forced?? Last I checked, no one ever had a gun to my head when buying an iPhone. You sir are ___________.(fill it in for fun)

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I've jailbroken my 3G on several ocassions as I keep 'wanting' wallpapers. But a few hours after I regret it due to how it lags the entire springboard beyond acceptable use.

Another thing is despite addition of the dropshadows and font colouring, I still don't find the text readable in a lot of situations with different wallpapers. So I set it back to black and got on with it. :p

Travis Van

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
Google "wallpaper murals" and you'll find several companies with hundreds of themes to choose from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.