Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gillihan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
I've got an original Macintosh 128K, bought it brand new myself in 1984. SN is F4281SXM0001, which, according to another thread, decodes as;

F = It was made in Freemont CA.
4 = It was made in 1984
28 = It was made in week 28
1SX = Is the sequence number
M0001 = Is the model number

All the original disks and manuals, MacWrite/MacPaint etc... MSWord, MSBasic, imagewriter cable, appletalk network and cables. I just plugged it in an played a game of Sargon (chess) and lost, so it seems to be working well. The internal disk, 400K I think, has a hitch is it's get along, so you need a paperclip to assist in the eject. It's got an external 800K drive as well. Some of the floppies are corrupt, it's only been 20 years!

What would a guy ask for it if he wanted to sell it, and where would he go to do that (other than eBay)?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
How is the physical condition of the machine? Color fading (like from sitting in the sun), old stickers, spots, etc. That can affect the value.
Do you have the original box? That also adds to the value. The problem with the drive though, that may bring the price down a little.

I'd love a 128k Mac, but they're prohibitively expense on my little part of the planet :(

Why do you want to sell yours?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I have to agree with 5300cs, the floppy drive will bring the value down. But, if You have the box and Getting Started book and etc.. You could get a pretty good price. Just dont get on eBay and claim it has Rare sigs of Steve Jobs, that is so funny when people do that.

gillihan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
Thanks for the input. I do not have the original box. I do have the original MacWrite manual and most of the original disks, however I'm not sure the data has any integrity. The case is in great shape, one small ding on the front but other than that it's nearly perfect. A little age'd in color, but not the ugly dark yellow that you see so often.

Any ideas on what it's worth, I have no clue ($5 or $5000)? And where would I go to sell it?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Current estimated price on everymac is... $0.00 :-(

heck, I'll buy it from you for that much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.