Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
I've updated my 16Gb 3G to iOS4 and it's now running very slowly - annoyingly slowly.

I've seen others says that iOS4 has speeded up their 3Gs, so it there anything I can do to improve mine?

Cheers

Phil

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
This may be pretty obvious, but did you restart yet?

My 16gb 3G was ridiculously slow at first. To the point where I wasn't even seeing the unlock phone animation while swiping the phone to turn on.

I restarted once, and then found it to be faster than it was on iOS3. In fact compared to the 3GS that I was just updating it was doing many actions quicker oddly enough.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I've had no issues on my 3G, if anything it's running quite a bit faster, and my apps are loading up from the net faster (the ones that need to sign in)
2 thumbs up for this update, and I still have tethering :D

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Thanks for the replies.

I'd not restarted but have done now. Still seems slow - there's a pause as apps opens which I didn't have before.

Cheers

Phil

Beowulf22

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I've noticed it running slower also. Not scrolling around the menus, but inside games. The FPS is much slower...unplayable.

pacific rim

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I had the same problem. My iphone 3G gotten slow and sluggish after I upgraded the iOS4. Apps took long to load and inside some Apps it responded slow as well.

SOLUTION:

I Think I Know Why and How To Get iphone 3G To Work Smoothly Again With iOS4.

-I restore my iphone 3G from iTunes.

-After it Restored, I did 1 thing different from my 1st initial upgrade. I did NOT try to retrieve my contacts and other info from the "RESTORE FROM BACKUP". That was the difference.

-After you're done, Back in iTunes, be sure to select "Setup As New Phone" to avoid Retore from Backup prompt.

-In order to get my iphone 3G to work smoothly again. That was my sacrifice.

Hope this Helps

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Slow and unresponsive is all i see from ios4, few different inbox arrangements which do little, so not classed as an improvement. I have timed it from input/swipe/touch etc to activate feature is 5-6 seconds, max. It feels like my MBP did with the stock 2gb ram working on raw files, stuttery and slugish. great one..:(

markthai

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2005
New York
@pacific rim: Your solution is interesting. I have 3G and am about to do that, but I'd like to ask you if you really don't experience any slowness so far.

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Mine was slow very annoyingly slow to the point where it doesnt want to do anything at all.OS4 is no good for the 3G at all in my opinion.I have tried all the things mentioned to no avail,so i have downgraded to 3.1.3 again and its back to its normal happy self.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
Mine was slow very annoyingly slow to the point where it doesnt want to do anything at all.OS4 is no good for the 3G at all in my opinion.I have tried all the things mentioned to no avail,so i have downgraded to 3.1.3 again and its back to its normal happy self.

How did you downgrade to 3.1.3?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
My iPhone 3G is also extremely slow since upgrading to OS4. Apple really let us down with this one!

Seems like they are forcing 3G owners to buy the iPhone 4. That in itself wouldn't be to bad considering what the iPhone 4 has going for it, but signing a new 2 year contract with AT&T is a huge bust. I had hoped to wait out the upgrade until Verizon got the new iPhone.

robsonnunes

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
FIX the SLOW performance on iPhone 3G with iOS4

JUST DO A HARD RESET!!!!
nothing else.

to FIX the SLOW performance on iPhone 3G with iOS4, just do a Hard Reset: press and hold the lock button and the home button together till the iPhone shutdown. Wait some seconds (15 +-) and then turn it on again.

do it twice.. or even more.
I had to do it 3 times.

It fixes a lot of things on iPhone and my iPhone 3G is running as fast as ever.

=D

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
thought it was just me, I went from my 3gs with ios4 to a 3g and I updated that phone to ios4 before using it and it was unusable.

Now i'm on my iPhone 4 and it's so much quicker/usable.

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I've been experiencing some performance problems as well with my iPhone 3G after upgrading to iOS 4 at the end of last week. Restarting the phone seems to help a little bit, but I'm not convinced it helps--if it does, the sluggishness certainly comes back over time.

I seem to remember similar performance problems when iPhone OS 3 came out last summer that improved with the the update to 3.0.1. Anyone else remember this being the case? or am I imagining things.

Before iOS 4 was available for download, I was planning to get an iPhone 4 later in the summer so I guess these performance woes will be over then, but I'm holding out some hope that the situation for my iPhone 3G will improve when 4.0.1 (or whatever) comes out.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
JUST DO A HARD RESET!!!!
do it twice.. or even more.
I had to do it 3 times.
Mine is still slow and buggy; I must have reset it 20 times still with no improvement. :(

It's not just that it's slow; apps quit where they never did before (ie. safari browsing MR, viewing or deleting emails), it freezes, and it restarts itself.
Basically gone from being indispensable to a piece of crud.
Am going to try reinstalling again. Perhaps from DFU mode or something.

Saving grace is I've an iPad, and black iP4; waiting for a white to replace this one tho.

iPhone envy

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Plus 1

Chalk me up for major lag on a 16G 3G phone after upgrading. So bad I did not upgrade my wife's phone. I've hard powered off a couple of times (traveled on a plane and was forced to). That seemed to stop the rash of app crashes but still the sluggishness persists.

webcsr123

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
iphone upgrade made my phone super slow

unfotunately the phone is running very slow. The SMS feature has problems when typing. Or when loading pics or even running the ipod is a pain!...

stormchaser

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
UK
Put it back to 3.1.3 guys.The 3G can,t handle OS4 and a hard reset does nothing to it,just stays the same.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
My 3G was also EXTREMELY slow with OS4. I really don't know why they would release it for the 3G!! I thought that it may seem faster over time but it was just not usable. I downgraded back to 3.1.3 and I noticed a huge difference.

I'm going to upgrade to an Android Nexus One on Monday and avoid upgrading to the iP4 problems.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.